Big Flange sound

Vito B

Hello out there
Does anyone know how to get a big swooping flanger sound to use in latch mode. The kind where you hit one chord to create a heavy ambiance before the band kicks back in.
Difficult to convey what i mean but i find the flangers on the AX8 a huge pain in the ass to dial in. Everything comes out sounding like noise. For Gods sake.... why could they not simplify the effects vs all these useless perameters i need a degree in electronics to understand? Took me weeks to get a simple vanhalen flanger sound that tooks me 3 seconds to get on the actual pedal.
Anyways any help would be great.

Hello out there
Does anyone know how to get a big swooping flanger sound to use in latch mode. The kind where you hit one chord to create a heavy ambiance before the band kicks back in.
Difficult to convey what i mean but i find the flangers on the AX8 a huge pain in the ass to dial in. Everything comes out sounding like noise. For Gods sake.... why could they not simplify the effects vs all these useless perameters i need a degree in electronics to understand? Took me weeks to get a simple vanhalen flanger sound that tooks me 3 seconds to get on the actual pedal.
Anyways any help would be great.
changing the Type of flanger should quickly yield different results without having to go through "useless" parameters.

i've never known of flangers to create "heavy ambience." can you link to audio or video that contains this sound? ambience usually means a reverb or delay. i'm just not sure what you're talking about.

if it's difficult to convey, it's difficult to understand. an audio clip would go a long way here.

changing the Type of flanger should quickly yield different results without having to go through "useless" parameters.

i've never known of flangers to create "heavy ambience." can you link to audio or video that contains this sound? ambience usually means a reverb or delay. i'm just not sure what you're talking about.

if it's difficult to convey, it's difficult to understand. an audio clip would go a long way here.
I cant source an audio clip. Its much like a jet airplane flying over head. Apologies for the difficulty explaining this.
Actually Nuno plays uses this at the 4:34 mark in this video....https://youtu.be/c1AxoPTAgxA.
If that helps. Thanks

Last edited:
Try the 'Stereo Jet' model placed after the Amp and Cab and play around with the 'Feedback' parameter.

P.S. I think that you meant 4:34 on the referenced video?

He does it again here too...

Try the 'Stereo Jet' model placed after the Amp and Cab and play around with the 'Feedback' parameter.

Thank you Moke.. i will give it a try.

Two affects that just have never seemed as saturated as pedals I have used in the past Flange and Phaser. No matter how you tweak them or where you put them in the chain just seems like something is missing. Best way I have found to make them really stick out is to side chain them towards the end of the chain and add an EQ or drive in front.

Last edited:
Interestingly I had no problem getting a great effect flange sound (like Barracuda) in the Ultra, the II and the AX8 were much harder to get sounding right, the III is in between.

Flanger AFTER Amp & Cab? Isn't that against the Geneva Convention? o_O

I look at FX in this way, if you were to record in a studio most likely you would record dry then FX would be applied at mix down so FX after the amp and cab would be just that. Things like compression and wha generally go in front of amp and cab. One of the many great things about Fractals modelers you can have it any damn way you want it. The only limiting factor is when you want to run an IR to FOH and run a real amp and cab on stage. You would have to mirror those FX on both output chains. Would be a cool future feature to be able to disable the cab block on one output channel but have it active on another.

Last edited:
I look at FX in this way, if you were to record in a studio most likely you would record dry then FX would be applied at mix down so FX after the amp and cab would be just that.
Usually ambient effects like Delay and Reverb are applied in post. Others (Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, etc) may be as well, but are quite often printed during recording. Many people also like Delay and/or Reverb before the amp ;)

I personally usually print delay because I "play" the delay and recording dry sounds very different.
Things like compression and wha generally go in front of amp and cab
I definitely put compressor before BUT compression is also probably the effect applied most in post besides maybe Reverb.

But as you say, the Axe Fx magic allows for things however we like... Even Wah after the Cab like Tom Morello.

This seemed to have gottten me a lot closer to what im looking for. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom