Bidirectional midi?

Would you guys like me to have BestTronics add a ready-made option for a cable of this type?
It could have one 7-pin on the controller side, plus two 5-pins and a barrel connector on the other.
Would this bring back bi-directional midi to the MFC-101?

Electrically it would, but this would be useless as the MFC will not be getting "Axe-Fx Mode: III"

Would you guys like me to have BestTronics add a ready-made option for a cable of this type?
It could have one 7-pin on the controller side, plus two 5-pins and a barrel connector on the other.
Even though I'm in Europe, I'd be interested in how much such a cable would cost.

Note that it wouldn't allow for use of RJM's breakout box that includes phantom power. Anyone using it needs to provide power directly at the controller...

Yeah I had a cable made from Bestronics to prevent having to have a box and multiple cables to provide phantom power to the RJM so I only have the one cable going out to the RJM. The whole idea was to keep it simple and not have to have a bunch of extra gadgets to make it work. How unfortunate. I added myself to the FC-12 waitlist so I will be selling the RJM MMGT 22 in the near future if anyone is interested.

Note that it wouldn't allow for use of RJM's breakout box that includes phantom power. Anyone using it needs to provide power directly at the controller...
Not if the cable has as Admin M@ says, a barrel connector at the same end as the 2 5-pin midi connectors.

If I am using the midi in and the midi out of the III to provide the tuner and tempo return info back to my FAMC pedal, how will I send midi messages to other pieces of gear that are downline from the III in my midi connections routing?

Doesn't this negate the usefulness of the III being able to send PC and CC messages to other pieces of gear?

If I am using the midi in and the midi out of the III to provide the tuner and tempo return info back to my FAMC pedal, how will I send midi messages to other pieces of gear that are downline from the III in my midi connections routing?

Doesn't this negate the usefulness of the III being able to send PC and CC messages to other pieces of gear?

Use the MIDI Thru - I am using the Voes MC-10 with the ‘V’ box ( MIDI in/out on one side and Ethernet out on the other side which connects and powers the MC-10 (so one cable)... I echo the MIDI in on the III to the MIDI Thru so I can also control my vocal harmoniser on another MIDI Chanel... This would also be the same for the RJM or the FAMC . Both companies offer a Phantom MIDI box with in/out to a 7 pin MIDI cable so again only one cable needed.

Last edited:
I would be interested to know why bi-directional midi was dropped in the III, not to bash the new model, it's a pur sonic jewel, and there are workarounds to get some kind of bi-directional capability, but are there drawbacks or known problems that led to the abandon of it?

+1. Not sure why Fractal would drop it knowing that some of their customers use other midi controllers. Maybe it's a smart business move to get people to switch to the FC-6 and FC-12. I personally love my MGT 22 but if I am going to have to have another special cable made, a routing box, and stuff hanging out the back of the rack it to make it work like it did with the Axe-FX II it just isn't worth it to me. It just makes more sense to just get the FC-12. One cable in that's it. No special cables, wall warts, junction boxes etc. BTW I just added myself to the FC-12 waiting list so I am going to have to grin and bear it with the MMGT 22 for now lol.

+1. Not sure why Fractal would drop it knowing that some of their customers use other midi controllers. Maybe it's a smart business move to get people to switch to the FC-6 and FC-12. I personally love my MGT 22 but if I am going to have to have another special cable made, a routing box, and stuff hanging out the back of the rack it to make it work like it did with the Axe-FX II it just isn't worth it to me. It just makes more sense to just get the FC-12. One cable in that's it. No special cables, wall warts, junction boxes etc. BTW I just added myself to the FC-12 waiting list so I am going to have to grin and bear it with the MMGT 22 for now lol.

Literally not that big of a deal. I made a little box, 2 - 1ft midi cables, done. Same 7 pin cable out. Loosing 12 buttons makes me cringe.

I guess I could live with this option. I just spent some good cash on cables from them not too long ago one of them being a midi cable for phantom power to the RJM lol. Looks like I have to buy another one now.

I have a Converter Box. 2-5 Pin Midi Cables to a 6 Pin XLR works Perfectly....

Attachments

• ED0D59D0-8845-4E67-8106-F6FEE7503F27.jpeg
    ED0D59D0-8845-4E67-8106-F6FEE7503F27.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 28
With a FAMC or RJM or even the Voes you will have full MIDI capability to operate other MIDI equipment - something you apparently will not have with the FC6/12... making the other boards much more flexible (if you want to do more than Control the III). The small converter box with phantom power are cheap and simple and once in the back out the rack you would never know...

Back
Top Bottom