Bi-directional MIDI with phantom power over one cable?

JSXtremist

Inspired
Is bi-directional MIDI possible with the Axe-Fx 3? I used to run bi-directional MIDI between the MIDI In of my Axe-Fx 2 and the MIDI Out of my RJM Mastermind GT/22 (plus phantom power via an adapter I made that slipped power from the Mastermind power supply in on pins 6 and 7 of the MIDI cable). What is the MIDI pinout on the Axe-Fx 3?

Last edited:
Not sure what your use case is - but I used to run the old RJM Mastermind with a single 7 pin cable (and it powered the RJM). It was bi-directional (I was able to display the Axe FX tuner)

Well, this was the Axe 2 (not 3).

Yes, the Axe-Fx 2 supported bi-directional MIDI over a single cable and the Axe-Fx 3 does not. See the forum link I posted above. Cheers!

You need the RJM breakout box for that. It also supplies phantom power, so you just need to run one cable from your rack to the gt.

Not sure what your use case is - but I used to run the old RJM Mastermind with a single 7 pin cable (and it powered the RJM). It was bi-directional (I was able to display the Axe FX tuner)

Well, this was the Axe 2 (not 3).
I always thought that the loss of bi-directionnal MIDI was a downgrade from Axe-Fx II to Axe-Fx III. Still wondering why.

I always thought that the loss of bi-directionnal MIDI was a downgrade from Axe-Fx II to Axe-Fx III. Still wondering why.

IMSC the MIDI implementation in the AFX II was non-standard (proprietary, missing some MIDI functionality) versus the “full-featured” standard version on the III that gives up the single-cable bi-directionality.

Judging by the photos, it looks as though Voes mounts and connects the internal jacks via a circuit board (they don't appear to be screwed into the chassis). If that is so, while not the most rugged design choice, this greatly helps to cut the chassis size down. RJM has chosen to screw the jacks into the chassis and hand-wire them, both of which require more room.

If I'm right about the Voes design, the Voes (2.0" x 2.0" x 1.2") is better for size, and the RJM (4.8" x 2.9" x 1.6") for durability.

Last edited:
Judging by the photos, it looks as though Voes mounts and connects the internal jacks via a circuit board (they don't appear to be screwed into the chassis). If that is so, while not the most rugged design choice, this greatly helps to cut the chassis size down. RJM has chosen to screw the jacks into the chassis and hand-wire them, both of which require more room.

If I'm right about the Voes design, the Voes is better for size, and the RJM for durability.
I'm sure @voes can confirm his side of things for you ;)

MIDI only uses 2 conductors plus ground. It's an old-school serial connection. You can add the other direction' because the DIN cable has 5 conductors, providing you didn't buy a cheap-ass cable that only connects 3.

The original MIDI spec also provides 5v from the input side. I havent tested that from Axe.

MIDI only uses 2 conductors plus ground. It's an old-school serial connection. You can add the other direction' because the DIN cable has 5 conductors, providing you didn't buy a cheap-ass cable that only connects 3.

The original MIDI spec also provides 5v from the input side. I havent tested that from Axe.
You can run the wires but the Axe Fx is only wired for 3 pins... Thus what the breakout box is for. Also, the Axe Fx III doesn't support phantom power over midi.

Also, I'm not sure the original midi spec accounts for power as different vendors have used different pins for that...

I'm running FAMC's version of the box to have a single 7 pin do the bidirectional "talking" and phantom power to my LF+ JR+ w/ my axe III.

Back
Top Bottom