Beta testers needed: iPad controller for the Axe-FX

I figure most would spend way more than that on drinks at a gig every night? :D

My thoughts exactly. If it delivers features and flexibility (as we think it will do) why shouldnt it be worth $15-20, which people easily spend on drinks or whatever more or less useful stuff.

But then again, nowadays its almost "common practice" that anything on the web should be free... ;)

If there were an Android version, I cough up 20bux right away

I think you should charge whatever amount facilitates you being able to expand, upgrade, update, and tightly control quality. Whatever price that is, people will pay.

Good luck in your cool venture. I'll be buying that app when it is available!

I have an iPad 1 and an Alesis Dock so I can test for MIDI. Sign me up!

Unfortunately the fuckwits at Alesis have blocked or inhibited the SysEx messages on the dock so you won't be able to use it with AxePad :(
Ring them up and abuse them!!! I nearly bought one myself, found out just in time.

Simon

Unfortunately the fuckwits at Alesis have blocked or inhibited the SysEx messages on the dock so you won't be able to use it with AxePad :(
Ring them up and abuse them!!! I nearly bought one myself, found out just in time.

Simon

LOL! As Simon has quite succintly put it - yeah, the IO Dock is a great bit of kit, but unfortunately it is hobbled by lack of SYSEX support. I've got one of these devices, and it is great for a lot of things, however driving the Axe-FX is out of the question because of this issue.

Reading the Alesis forums though, one of their reps has made mention that there will be a firmware upgrade coming out soon which will enable SYSEX on the IO Dock, however there has been no mention of exactly WHEN, or whether the fix can be backported to the original hardware...

Any updates or screenshots of this new version of the app...maybe good to get a little feeback from people on the look and feel >? my 2c thanks

Ok here is my tip. Include an option to switch the amp and cab and pedal type names to the actual "real life" names ie: instead of Brit 900 it would display Marshall JCM 900. I understand that not everyone would want that but I think it would be great to have the option to select that feature if one so desires.
Other than that good work, looks great!

geamala said:
Ok here is my tip. Include an option to switch the amp and cab and pedal type names to the actual "real life" names ie: instead of Brit 900 it would display Marshall JCM 900. I understand that not everyone would want that but I think it would be great to have the option to select that feature if one so desires.
Other than that good work, looks great!

You risk other companies coming after you for trademark infringements if you do that.

Looks good, though I feel at least in the screenshots (don't know how much it has changed after that) the user interface seems to have plenty of unnecessary elements and clutter. I'd probably try to do away with things like the tube speaker graphics that take a lot of space and don't seem to serve much function. Likewise the pedals could easily be expanded to span a larger space for a more comfortable knob placement. Also pay attention to control and label spacing in general so that there is a calm, coherent feel as some of them seem to be clumped a bit too close together.

I would be willing to pay about 10 euros for this. You have to factor in that people still have to buy the necessarily accessories to plug the Axe-Fx in. Also the iPad 3 seems imminent and will have a much higher resolution display (though this only means everything will be sharper rather than there being more display space as the size of our fingers and thus minimum size for touch targets is still the same) so be prepared to have high res graphics too.

For Cab settings, the only thing i would ever tweak in gig/soundcheck situation is low cut and hi cut parameters and they aren't there. Maybe would be possible to put those in?

For me the most useful features in this app would be switching effects on off and changing presets, and maybe finetuning the amp on very rare ocasions. So i think its important that these features would be easy accessible. As i see now the effects on off button is really small and when you have only a fraction of a second to turn an effect you better be acurate to hit the right place otherwise you miss it.

Is there a standard screen resolution for Android devices? Or a unified hardware platform? From what I understand, it's not like the iPad where one app looks/works identically on them all. I doubt CyberFerret wants to have to maintain and support a dozen different versions of AxePad for Android...

Is there a standard screen resolution for Android devices? Or a unified hardware platform? From what I understand, it's not like the iPad where one app looks/works identically on them all. I doubt CyberFerret wants to have to maintain and support a dozen different versions of AxePad for Android...

How do you plan to connect Android device to the AXE FX?

Hey all - I do apologise for the delays in getting this to the app store. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Axe II just had too many differences from the Ultra MIDI messages, that I HAD to get one here with me to test in real time. That added nearly two weeks to the whole schedule.

Things are going well now though. I have had a lot of requests for changes to the interface etc., but I am thinking that will have to wait until V1 is out the door first, and some revenue starts coming in. Otherwise it will take another month or two before I release, and I will be living on beans by then! :D

Re: the questions on Android. I DID look into that, but unfortunately, as zslane pointed out above, there are SO many form factors and variations in the Android systems out there, that to make software to cater for all of them would be a nightmare, and I don't think I would ever recover my costs and sanity for doing so. Sorry :(. Plus, the MIDI framework for Android devices seems to be all over the place, and very device specific. At least on iOS, the CoreMIDI framework is standard across the board for all devices, and on the Mac PC's and Notebooks as well. Makes writing 'transportable' code a lot easier.

This is a really cool development. I have neither the Axe-Fx2 nor IPAD2, but a solution such as this (which was one of my constructive criticisms) would answer my imagined needs which are obvious needs for the rest of the folks who own the Axe. I need to increase my budget now (Axe2+MFC+iPAD2)! :roll

Back
Top Bottom