Best workaround for less switch latency with Ax8

Valhallir

Power User
Vendor
Hi Guys,

I have a new Ax8 and experienced a lot of latency when switching between presets. I never worked with scenes before, but after building a preset with "everything that happens" inside the 4 presets I used on my AxeII, it got a lot better.

But when I switch scenes from the Angle Severe to the Shiva Clean Amp via X/Y (remember, the Ax8 has only 1 Amp Block) I notice latency that I never had before on my old AxeII (and I used a midi controller to switch between presets)

So...what's your best way to decrease switch latency, when turning from clean to a a heavy sound?

XY amp switching takes as long as it takes. At higher CPU, changing presets is faster than an XY amp switch. Embrace the preset change!!!

The dropout will never go away, but if you disable X/Y switching, the switches will work on the downstroke rather than the upstroke (setting in the setup menu). To me, this feels much better.

Hi Guys,

I have a new Ax8 and experienced a lot of latency when switching between presets. I never worked with scenes before, but after building a preset with "everything that happens" inside the 4 presets I used on my AxeII, it got a lot better.

But when I switch scenes from the Angle Severe to the Shiva Clean Amp via X/Y (remember, the Ax8 has only 1 Amp Block) I notice latency that I never had before on my old AxeII (and I used a midi controller to switch between presets)

So...what's your best way to decrease switch latency, when turning from clean to a a heavy sound?

You could argue that if you bypass the AX8 completely, you will not have any dropouts (from the AX8)

External pedals will reduce your CPU usage, which will reduce the switching time. But there are plenty of ways to reduce or eliminate the audio dropout without using external pedals.

The dropout will never go away, but if you disable X/Y switching, the switches will work on the downstroke rather than the upstroke (setting in the setup menu). To me, this feels much better.
I'm such a noob and I can't figure out how to do even that. I don't see anything in ax8-edit that says disable x/y switching. Sorry and thanks again.

I'm such a noob and I can't figure out how to do even that. I don't see anything in ax8-edit that says disable x/y switching. Sorry and thanks again.
Axe-Edit doesn’t have all settings. It’s meant as a Preset editor primarily. Most “system functions” are on the unit itself. This is how it works on a lot of gear from different companies too. Check out the manual for detail, but you want to go to the Setup Menu on the unit itself.

Axe-Edit doesn’t have all settings. It’s meant as a Preset editor primarily. Most “system functions” are on the unit itself. This is how it works on a lot of gear from different companies too. Check out the manual for detail, but you want to go to the Setup Menu on the unit itself.
Oh cool, I was gonna try then next so thanks!

Here is a little known workaround.....

Set your 'Scene' switches to 'Momentary' for each preset. This allows you to keep the "Press To Hold for X/Y" enabled for your effect IA switches, but your Scene switches will activate on the down-stroke, not the up-stroke. However the effect IA switches will still activate on the up-stroke, in order for the "Press To Hold for X/Y" to still work.

Not sure if that works for Global Scene switches? Haven't checked out.

Edit...... It also works for Global Scene switches.

Last edited:
Here is a little known workaround.....

Set your 'Scene' switches to 'Momentary' for each preset. This allows you to keep the "Press To Hold for X/Y" enabled for your effect IA switches, but your Scene switches will activate on the down-stroke, not the up-stroke. However the effect IA switches will still activate on the up-stroke, in order for the "Press To Hold for X/Y" to still work.

Not sure if that works for Global Scene switches? Haven't checked out.

Edit...... It also works for Global Scene switches.
That is a tricky trick!

I find that you can manage to create most tones with a couple different amps. I stick with two or three on most every patch I make. I hate to tell you that even though there are over two hundred amps you won't be using them all. Scene switches to control gain is the best solution I've found to elmimate gaps. Ditch the x/y amp and cab switching. Use something like a vox ac 30, Morgan ac 20 or a vintage marshall. The amps that have no master volume clean up real well by just lowering the input gain. Control the gain via percentages from scene to scene. Need a more modern metal sound just use a pedal or eq.

I find that you can manage to create most tones with a couple different amps. I stick with two or three on most every patch I make. I hate to tell you that even though there are over two hundred amps you won't be using them all. Scene switches to control gain is the best solution I've found to elmimate gaps. Ditch the x/y amp and cab switching. Use something like a vox ac 30, Morgan ac 20 or a vintage marshall. The amps that have no master volume clean up real well by just lowering the input gain. Control the gain via percentages from scene to scene. Need a more modern metal sound just use a pedal or eq.

So do you mean to just use an amp with a clean sound (head space) and just use pedals for overdrive when switching from scene to scene?

Back
Top Bottom