Best Wireless system for guitar?

and S0c- I was referring to the 16 hrs of battery life from the Lithium battery that comes with the shure. Plus my experience with the Shure is better than the L6. I had more Interference issues on the channels with the L6 too.
Apologies for the annoyances.
No annoyances here.. I was not aware of the Shure's proprietary battery and was looking for clarification.
I haven't tried/used the Shure models, but have zero issues with interference on the G90. We have 3 of them in use with my current band and ensure proper channel separation between us. No outside interference issues either.
YMMV depending on location and usage :)

Thanks- Yea its just one of those things where I wish somebody would have pointed them out on here to me. Everybody uses the L6 for good reason. Hence why i ended up with one. Shure finally matched up and made a comparible product with some upgrades. They also keep 6 channels grouped at a time and jump if any interference is detected (you don't get a dropout either). Plus theres a slot right on the front to charge the battery. It really is great. L6 were the pioneers of the digital wireless though.

I've never had any signal issues with the L6 XD-V75. As far as the Shure, I'm not a big fan of proprietary batteries in my music equipment, unless you can also throw in a regular battery in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had many brands and played many shows. Personally, the line 6 gear has been the best.

Sent from Windows Phone Tapatalk

I have the pedal version of the Shure GLX-D and I love it. The tuner is GREAT, definitely not an afterthought. Build quality feels better to me than the Line 6 stuff I have used in the past. The receiver is built like a tank. It's great not have to be on battery watch at every gig. Hell, it lasts so long and charges so quickly that I use it at home a lot of the time unless I'm recording!

Thanks- Yea its just one of those things where I wish somebody would have pointed them out on here to me. Everybody uses the L6 for good reason. Hence why i ended up with one. Shure finally matched up and made a comparible product with some upgrades. They also keep 6 channels grouped at a time and jump if any interference is detected (you don't get a dropout either). Plus theres a slot right on the front to charge the battery. It really is great. L6 were the pioneers of the digital wireless though.

L6 actually bought the technology from X2 Digital Wireless Systems. I owned an XDR95 and when a replacement part became unavailable due to the L6 purchase, I moved to L6.

Like many others here, I use the G-90. Never had a problem. I too swapped out the original cable for a Lava Cable. Even on large stages when I walk away from the receiver, it has never dropped me. Very happy with it.

Sold my line 6 g55 and am so happy I did. Granted it did the job but here and there I'd get a pop noise. Most the channels always showed a lot of interference was possible. I bought the shure glx-d half rack version (not the pedal) and it freaking rocks. No problems whatsoever and I just pop the battery in the front after setting up for a gig and it's fully charged by the time we play. Plus you actually get like 17 hrs anyways. I love it

Keg8605,

Regarding the shure glx-d half rack: how do you like the casing? It looks like cheap plastic. Plus, will it fit in a 1 u rack tray?

When I ordered the pedal version of the GLX-D, I was accidentally sent the 1/2 rack version initially, so I got to have a good look at it.

Yes, the casing is plastic and the entire unit is very light in weight. (About half the weight of the pedal IIRC.) Shure says this design is intentional, and the idea is to Velcro it to a 1U rack tray, or to the top of the piece of gear below it in your rack, if you need to mount it. For folks who wish to use it sitting atop an amp, it won't look like a solitary piece of naked rack gear.

It comes in a very protective foam travel case (unlike the pedal version) to house the transmitter, receiver, cables, charger etc.

I've never had any signal issues with the L6 XD-V75. As far as the Shure, I'm not a big fan of proprietary batteries in my music equipment, unless you can also throw in a regular battery in a pinch.

That's what I prefer about the Shure ULX-D - it has a proprietary battery that lasts for 12 hours of playing, can be charged to 50%with 1 hour, and best of all, the proprietary battery can be taken out and AA's used.....

I can say for a fact that the only plastic on the xd-v75 casing is a ring around the face that I assume prevents ground loops. Even most of the face is metal, aside from the knobs, buttons, and screens. Another thing I like is that it also came with all the mounting hardware for single, or dual mounting, plus you can daisy chain the antennas, and the amperage is pretty low so I can daisy chain it with other things in my rack, saving me a plug or two on my power conditioner.

I bought a Line6 Relay G50 a few years back, it was $389.00 CDN at the time ($100 cheaper than the Shure). I use Duracell AA's with my Line 6 Relay G50. I bought a 15 minute charger which actually takes closer to 10 minutes for an 6-8 hours of playing per set of AA's. Oh and the charger came with 4 AA's as well and only cost $35. I also use it to charge for all my multimedia devices taking AA or AAA batteries.

I like that guys are saying that you get 10 hours on the Shure units.... this depends more so on the battery than the unit and also how many times that battery has been re-charged already. I regularly play from 9:30pm till 2:00 am every gig, and have never had to worry about the batteries dying because I was using a Line6 instead of a Shure LOL..................

My Line6 Relay G50 has easily seen over 500 gigs and not a single problem, no noise, no dropouts, no interference, etc. I did replace the cable, but that's because I gorilla'd the original (completely my own fault, not the product) and then I wanted an Angled 1/4" instead of a straight plug. I've even used it where I was about 150 feet away from the receiver the entire night and again not a single issue.

I think Shure is great for Microphones but for digital wireless, your just paying extra for branding unfortunately.

I like that guys are saying that you get 10 hours on the Shure units.... this depends more so on the battery than the unit and also how many times that battery has been re-charged already. I regularly play from 9:30pm till 2:00 am every gig, and have never had to worry about the batteries dying because I was using a Line6 instead of a Shure LOL..................

Actually, the Shure units I use come with proprietary lithium ion batteries with no memory loss. I play the same gigs, and once a year I do a 12-hour gig, from noon to midnight, and I don't change or charge my battery.....when they say 12 hours of playing time, they mean it. The Shure ULXD is much more of a higher end unit than the Line 6 ( don't get me wrong, I used a line 6 for years, and still have mine - a G60 and 2 G75's, and I love them, I still have them, they are great units!), and ultimately, that's why I bought it, much like my choice to upgrade to an Axe FX II.

In this case, " you're" not paying for branding as much as you are paying for a super high quality unit, just like the Axe FX.

Have been using the Line 6 - G90 wired into 2 separate venues and it has performed flawlessly so far with great battery life.

Sorry guys I deserved that, I know. I did read the whole thread, all i saw was your post as far as people using it.

and S0c- I was referring to the 16 hrs of battery life from the Lithium battery that comes with the shure. Plus my experience with the Shure is better than the L6. I had more Interference issues on the channels with the L6 too.

Apologies for the annoyances.

Is the transmitter on the Shure plastic or metal?
I can't tell from the pics, and the description doesn't say.

I have the Line6 X2 system and it's excellent.
I don't love the plastic transmitter though. Feels cheesy.

I use the G50 on my small fly gig board, and a G90 in my small rack setup. They're both fantastic wireless systems and have been very reliable for every venue we've played. I've only had a few situations where there was a very hot (probably higher than allowable spec) 2.4 GHz signal emanating from the venue's wide-area amplified WiFi router / security / VOIP system that obliterated the carrier on most of the channels, but even then I've always been able to locate a channel that still worked - albeit with less range. The biggest offenders are convention centers, which are often co-located with concert venues.

The G90 is especially good for bigger stages due to its slightly stronger signal pickup, and it has a very natural feel; there is no compansion so my dynamics are not impacted, and there is no noticeable delay from the A/D -> D/A conversion process. It's indistinguishable from using a cord.

I'm really picky, which is a socially polite way of saying I'm anal retentive about my gear. Everything has to do its job, be perfectly reliable, and have zero unintended side effects. I've punted all kinds of gear from my guitar rig due to one of those offenses, and wireless gear was never up to the task until fairly recently. There are options (e.g., Shure, Sennheiser, Carvin) and I can say from having used wireless gear from those brands, they're all good choices. I have been satisfied with Line6 wireless equipment, which is why it's part of my rig. I haven't been as satisfied with their modeling equipment, which is why I'm here on the FAS forum :)

Is the transmitter on the Shure plastic or metal?
I can't tell from the pics, and the description doesn't say.

I have the Line6 X2 system and it's excellent.
I don't love the plastic transmitter though. Feels cheesy.

Transmitter is definitely metal, also you can have a cable that threads on directly to the the transmitter too. That cable comes with the floor pedal version, which by the way is all metal. The half rack version does not come with that better cable. Still clips in like the L6 ones and you can have a custom one made that threads too. I have one from best-tronics.

Back
Top Bottom