Best way to use SDD Preamp + Delay to model old Korg rack unit?

Ugly Bunny

Power User
I'm looking for the best way to incorporate the SDD Preamp with a delay to cop the closest, best, chewiest Korg delay.

I think ideally, the delay block would come stock with a preamp feature (to model echoplex, SDD3K, etc.), but since it doesn't, does anyone have good tips on using a drive pedal+delay to get the sound? Would you put it before? After? Parallel? Which delay? Would I need an EQ afterward to get closer?

Thanks in advance! I have the pedal version, but it's not the same as the sound demos I've heard of the rack unit. I also own the preamp pedal (made by DTS) but I don't really want to incorporate external pedals.

Thanks in advance!

Probably a parallel row with drive then delay with mix 100%. Experiment with the drive in the delay block too.

My understanding of the SDD Preamp drive is that it is (as named) the preamp section of the SDD 3000 Delay.

As the preamp it would come before the delay to raise the signal.

I would just run SDD Drive -> Delay.

The Delays already include an EQ section.

My 2¢ ;)

From my experience by comparing the real sdd with the models, the best / closest option is sdd preamp into vintage digital delay, set the mod waveform to triangle and reduce bit to 13. I did a video comparison between the sdd3000 pedal (which sounds a little different from the rack) and the axe fx in a video recently, you can go to minute 4:30 for the A/B comparison

PS I forgot to mention the eq - but if you have the pedal you probably know it already. While the dry signal frequency response is 10Hz-20KHz, the delay signal is 10Hz - 17Khz, and you have the following cuts available:
low cut: flat (10Hz), 125Hz, 250Hz and 500Hz
Hi cut: flat (17KHz), 8KHz, 4KHz, 2KHz
So when trying to mimic you should take into account these values, although the axe lets you choose any value in between!

So when trying to mimic you should take into account these values, although the axe lets you choose any value in between!

How does the axe stand up against the original SDD-3000 Edo? I've heard a few say the pedal is slightly different in sound compared to the rack unit, unfortunately I don't have both so can't compare!

How does the axe stand up against the original SDD-3000 Edo? I've heard a few say the pedal is slightly different in sound compared to the rack unit, unfortunately I don't have both so can't compare!

Forget about the pedal, the only thing it has in common with the rack unit is the name! lol
The axe can get very close to the rack (and identical to the pedal), although the original rack has some magic in the modulation that I haven't quite matched with the axe yet, but I don't think anybody would be able to tell in a blind test. The difference is that with the sdd3000 rack it's a plug and play thing, while with the axe you have to tweak a few parameters in order to get there (eq, waveform, bit rate etc)

Back
Top Bottom