Best way to use IEM with axfx3?

AXE FX III OUT1 to the desk (Soundcraft Impact SI), OUT 2 (copt of OUT1) to my in-line Rolls mixer (Channel 1), Stereo Mix out from the desk to Rolls (Channel 2), Mixer out to my Sennheiser IEMs.

Personal monitoring done from iPAD on my mic stand.

We have an Aviom system where everyone can make their own mix. I plug the Aviom into Input 3 and add my guitar directly from the axe fx. I have separate outputs for my ears and FOH. Main reason is so I can apply EQ to my IEMs in the axe fx. It also shaves a little latency off of me hearing my guitar, although I can’t say it was a problem before.

I mounted a Shure PSM-300 wireless xmtr in a 4-space rack with the AXE-FX. I route a band monitor mix without guitar to input 2 and use mixer blocks to blend guitar + cue mix and send it to outputs 2 & 3. I always get a stereo guitar mix in my IEMs, even with a mono cue mix, and setup is clean and fast. The on-stage FRFR cab can serve both as a dedicated guitar cab and/or monitor mix with the twist of a dial. I get glorious IEM sound and can keep the live cab at acceptable small-room levels. The AXE-FX's utility never ceases to amaze me.

In 2: Monitor mix
Out 1: stereo guitar to FOH
Out 2: stereo to IEMs (always connected)
Out 3: mono/stereo to powered cab(s) on stage

I keep the mixer block controls for the band's levels on the global perf page.
Feature request: global support for mixer blocks would help this scenario a lot.

IEMs--X32 Rack--Shure PSM1000

I run my ears in stereo regardless of what the house PA is running (which oftentimes is mono) for immensely better mix clarity.
Hi Cooper, which signal do you send to FOH and which goes back to the IEM. And which signal do you use to feed a FRFR or amp/cab on stage? Which outputs do you use for which signal: out 1,2 or 3?

IEMs--X32 Rack--Shure PSM1000

I run my ears in stereo regardless of what the house PA is running (which oftentimes is mono) for immensely better mix clarity.
Cooper, can you expound on this signal chain just a bit more for the dense among us (me)? I want to use multiple outs exactly as you demo in the video above. I just don't understand the signal chain. I have an Axe III, X32 Rack, and Sennheiser IEM system.

Cooper, can you expound on this signal chain just a bit more for the dense among us (me)? I want to use multiple outs exactly as you demo in the video above. I just don't understand the signal chain. I have an Axe III, X32 Rack, and Sennheiser IEM system.
I typo'd the post you're quoting in a momentary lapse.

It should read:

Fractal--X32 Rack--Shure PSM1000--IEMs

Are you using your X32 for monitors only? Or are you running both monitors and FOH mains off of it?

I use OUT 2 on the AxeFX to route a copy of my FOH guitar signal to my IEMs. I only have my guitar in my in-ears, and use Westone in-ears with an ambient port. This lets me hear my guitar no matter where I am onstage, and still benefit from hearing the rest of the band (even if it's through the floor monitors).

I send a signal from my axe fx straight to a presonus studiolive 16r I have sitting in my rack and get a feed of the band (minus guitar) sent to me from the desk. I control the mix in my ears using the presonus studiolive app on my iPad and control my own mix from there. I also use a monitor (Redsound MF10) pointed towards me and angled back, for a bit of acoustic reinforcement and feedback. Sounds (and feels wonderful!

The studiolive is overkill just for me, but I got it in a deal when I sold a backup monitor years back. Love having in-ears and couldn’t go back to just using a monitor.

Last edited:
I use OUT 2 on the AxeFX to route a copy of my FOH guitar signal to my IEMs. I only have my guitar in my in-ears, and use Westone in-ears with an ambient port. This lets me hear my guitar no matter where I am onstage, and still benefit from hearing the rest of the band (even if it's through the floor monitors).
EXACTLY what I do, to the T. Love my Weston Ambients! I have my Axe3 going OUT 1 to FOH, OUT 2 to my backline cabs, and OUT 4 to my IEM's. then I have INPUT 2 from the house going into a Filter and a GEQ to shape as needed going into OUT 4 IEM's, so I have volume control as well🤘🏼. Actually I have GEQs on OUTs 1 and 2 as well, all linked to if I need to make a change it changes all my presets. This way I AM IN COMPLETE CONTROL!!!! HA!!! 😇 I can post a pic if anyone cares, lol

EXACTLY what I do, to the T. Love my Weston Ambients! I have my Axe3 going OUT 1 to FOH, OUT 2 to my backline cabs, and OUT 4 to my IEM's. then I have INPUT 2 from the house going into a Filter and a GEQ to shape as needed going into OUT 4 IEM's, so I have volume control as well🤘🏼. Actually I have GEQs on OUTs 1 and 2 as well, all linked to if I need to make a change it changes all my presets. This way I AM IN COMPLETE CONTROL!!!! HA!!! 😇 I can post a pic if anyone cares, lol
Yes! What I want from my IEMs is guitar. I do sing backups, and I can hear my vocals from my floor monitor, since my mic is directly in front of it. I set my backline cabinet volume to a pretty low stage level. It's there to give my guitar a localization and ambient sound for my bandmates (although I can also hear it when I'm in front of it). With the IEMs, I can go anywhere on the stage and still hear my guitar really well. That helps avoid the tendency to PLAY REALLY DAMNED HARD when you're out of the speaker pattern, and allows you to play with comfortable dynamics.

Once I set my volume level on my IEM receiver beltpack, I never change that level during the show. All of my presets are volume leveled, and I don't use a volume pedal onstage. The only way to change my stage volume is to go back to the rack and turn the knob. That is intentional on my part. I don't turn up over the course of the night - no matter how tempting that is. This way, our FOH and monitor engineers don't have to make adjustments to counteract volume changes, and our stage volume remains comfortable.

Yes! What I want from my IEMs is guitar. I do sing backups, and I can hear my vocals from my floor monitor, since my mic is directly in front of it. I set my backline cabinet volume to a pretty low stage level. It's there to give my guitar a localization and ambient sound for my bandmates (although I can also hear it when I'm in front of it). With the IEMs, I can go anywhere on the stage and still hear my guitar really well. That helps avoid the tendency to PLAY REALLY DAMNED HARD when you're out of the speaker pattern, and allows you to play with comfortable dynamics.

Once I set my volume level on my IEM receiver beltpack, I never change that level during the show. All of my presets are volume leveled, and I don't use a volume pedal onstage. The only way to change my stage volume is to go back to the rack and turn the knob. That is intentional on my part. I don't turn up over the course of the night - no matter how tempting that is. This way, our FOH and monitor engineers don't have to make adjustments to counteract volume changes, and our stage volume remains comfortable.
That's how it's done👍🏻

I’m new at this IEM stuff. I’m on a rotation at my church and bought some Westone ambient IEMs and we have an X32 and P16 mixers. I basically run stereo to FOH through Out1 and mix the band with the P16. Problem is that it sounds like garbage. I’ve panned everyone to clean things up but it still sounds bad. Dull, dry, flat with vocals and my guitar sounds a bit shrill even after messing with the EQ on my guitar channel on the P16.
What else should I be doing or looking for? I know there’s peony many more variables but any guidance would be appreciated

For me, Out1 to IEM direct wired via headphone jack. Out2 goes to mixer, and then I get a mono monitor feed that comes into In2(L) which I just shunt back into Out1. The monitor feed has my guitar taken out. Then in perf page I have In2 volume mapped, so I can turn the band mix down and just use the front output knob to turn whole iem mix up. Sounds complex put like that, but it’s pretty simple and works fine.

I typo'd the post you're quoting in a momentary lapse.

It should read:

Fractal--X32 Rack--Shure PSM1000--IEMs

Are you using your X32 for monitors only? Or are you running both monitors and FOH mains off of it?
We use the X32R for FOH and Monitors. We control the very basic parameters of our IEM mixes individually on our iPhones using the M32Q app, which works fine to control fader volume and panning of all vocals/instruments, etc. So, I’m not sure how I get that separate Axe Fx III signal chain that sweetens up the sound into my ears that you demo in the video.

Last edited:
For me, Out1 to IEM direct wired via headphone jack. Out2 goes to mixer, and then I get a mono monitor feed that comes into In2(L) which I just shunt back into Out1. The monitor feed has my guitar taken out. Then in perf page I have In2 volume mapped, so I can turn the band mix down and just use the front output knob to turn whole iem mix up. Sounds complex put like that, but it’s pretty simple and works fine.
I’m curious as to whether or not your volume setting for In2(L) from the perf page gets reset when you switch presets or not. I’m doing something similar on the FM3, but I had to resort to using external controllers to avoid having my mix settings reset when switching patches.

-Aaron

We use the X32R for FOH and Monitors. We control the very basic parameters of our IEM mixes individually on our iPhones using the M32Q app, which works fine to control fader volume and panning of all vocals/instruments, etc. So, I’m not sure how I get that separate Axe Fx III signal chain that sweetens up the sound into my ears that you demo in the video.

You'll send to FOH out of Output 1 L (and possibly R) and send the sweetened signal from Output 2 L/R to another set of inputs that will route solely to the monitors. You'll be using up three (or four) inputs for your guitar, but if you have the room, why not?

You'll send to FOH out of Output 1 L (and possibly R) and send the sweetened signal from Output 2 L/R to another set of inputs that will route solely to the monitors. You'll be using up three (or four) inputs for your guitar, but if you have the room, why not?
Got it! Thanks for being such a helpful resource to the community, Cooper. Much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom