Best way to use IEM with axfx3?

Rocky Gallo

Inspired
I'm curious to see how others are using their IEM's in a live gig situation with a bandall are seperate mix's... do u send the axfx3 signal directly to you IEM wireless unit... or do you send the signal from the axfx3 into main mixer and receive a monitor mix to a wireless IEM system? Right now I run out of channel A of the axfx3 left and right to a Allen & Heath QU16, and then come out the monitor send to my Shure PSM900 IEM... is that the best way or is it personnel taste... I know plugging the Axfx3 directly to the PSM900 sounds much better... what are you guys doing

I have my own little mixer for my IEM only there and get a monitor signal from the FOH console that contains all of the band but without my guitar.
I add my own signal to my IEM mix, so I don't have to care how they tailor my signal to fit in the mix or to fit to the PA.
It's great to beeing able to turn yourself louder or lower or EQing something without affecting the others.
And I have an ambience reverb on both signals, the band's and mine, it glues everything together somehow and takes away the in-your-head sound effect some.

We use a digital mixer that allows us to have individual control over each monitor mix. I send the Axe-FX III / FM9 signal directly to the board and then everyone can control how much of the signal they want to hear on their own IEMs through an app on their phone.
What digital mixer do you use? Just for curiosity ...

We run all our mics through splitters, then send one signal to FOH, and the other to a rack mount mixer (Soundcraft Ui24r) that we use to mix our ears. The outputs from the Ui24r aux sends run into our wireless IEM units. Each band member can control their own IEM mix.

I have Out 3 going into my receiver and I get a feed from the sound guy for the rest of the band. In my ears its me on the left and the rest of the band on the right. (Receiver has two ins). Just tell the sound guy to not send me any of my guitar and we’re good to go!

I use a little Mackie Mix5 mixer. I take Out 1 of the AFXIII into the mixer and take the mix from the soundman into another input on the mixer and send the output of the mixer to my IEMS. That way, I can always have my guitar in stereo whether the venue is taking a stereo feed or not. I just have the soundman turn off guitar in my mix and I can tweak my guitar level vs. the other levels at any time. It's been a pretty flexible setup.

Midas M32C with Midas DL-32... ( had the Behringer X32 Rack before ) i recreated the same mix in the mains, in Aux 1-2, including all FX, so it sounds like a really good studio mix. Just make sure that you have good isolating earbud tips, like the ones from comply to seal in your ear so you don't lose low end... ( unless you splurge for custom fit in ears... ;-). )

send the signal from the axfx3 into main mixer and receive a monitor mix to a wireless IEM system
This is the standard way to do it. Last tour we ran a dedicated monitor console + engineer but that’s overkill in most situations.

plugging the Axfx3 directly to the PSM900 sounds much better.
It shouldn’t make that much of a difference, even with a cheap console like an X32. Are you sure your lines are hard panned on the mixer? When you plug the axe directly into the transmitter, it’s getting a stereo image, but your mixer has no way of knowing that your two lines are part of a stereo pair, you need to hard pan them on the mixer, otherwise both of your lines will be centered in your ears.

We use a MR18 with a rack mounted (2 8 channel) splitter. Mic the kick, snare and hi hats for the drummer. The ones that have tablets mix their own mixes and we keep one on a stand for the ones that do not have a tablet. Taking the mix from the FOH (before the MR18) I ran it into one of the Axes's inputs, added a multi comp and eq then mixed that FOH mix with my feed to my IEM. I also use Ambient earphones with a 15db filter this allows me to be in the room without being so isolated. We also practice with with IEMs.

Here’s what I do: Out 1 goes to FOH. Send out 2 of Fractal unit to one channel of personal mixer. Ask soundman to send back full band monitor mix preferably without guitar and put that into other channel of mixer. Send mixer output (balanced how you like) to IEM unit.

Edit: when I was doing this in smaller venues I’d also run a third output from my Axe Fx to a power amp/cab on stage. Just for some stage volume.

Straight to mixer (x32 rack). Listen through monitor mix I have control over to my IEM's via G3 Sennheiser wireless.

Stereo to mixer. stereo in ear mix with good panning. I send every signal to my ears to feel a full band mix (drums, bass, vocals, guitar) etc. We run a few room reverb's and drum gate reverbs that are boosted in the ears to get more ambience feeling.

We have X32R to control personal mixes. I have it connected that way: Out 2 of axe is going to splitter in X32R rack - one out is going to FOH, second to X32R. IEM Mix is going back to IN2 of Axe and I have a volume block and filter blocks to control mix volume and mixing in original Axe signal - filter off cuts off original signal so I have only return from X32. The whole thing goes to out 1 of axe connected to PSM300. PSM300 output is connected to back of my rack, so I am connecting there my home monitors. I have the full control over IEM and possibility to practice with computer.

Back
Top Bottom