Best Way to Use Axe Fx III

As someone playing for over 20 years, I highly recommend focusing on the playing first and foremost. Worry about tone after you have the basics down pat.
Yes Budda I got that.

I currently spend each day 20min to an hour following Fender Play videos, it would be better if I tried playing actual song riffs and solos, that would greatly help in getting better at playing too, instead of learning to strum basic stuff. Fx3 would be good investment for me, since I know I will be buying it eventually, rather buy it sooner than later.

Yes Budda I got that.

I currently spend each day 20min to an hour following Fender Play videos, it would be better if I tried playing actual song riffs and solos, that would greatly help in getting better at playing too, instead of learning to strum basic stuff. Fx3 would be good investment for me, since I know I will be buying it eventually, rather buy it sooner than later.

Learn the basics first. Walk before attempting to sprint.

I started guitar in my late 40s - I guess my perspective is not common but getting a good quality tone was important for me right from the beginning as it inspired me to continue even at a basic level where as I would have quit had I not moved up from the crappy gear I started with. I don't believe the commonly held opinion that beginners cannot hear/appreciate nuances of guitar tone that more advanced players can - I could always hear it, maybe because I've always been an avid fan of guitar based music. I actually think good tone is more important for a beginner as it removes key variables of concern for a player that will benefit from one less thing to worry about (ie extreme case: playing a guitar that won't stay in tune with unfixably too high action into an invariably farty/fizzy amp or modeller) - I think great tone inspires great playing at any level. Another argument is that expensive gear for beginner is a waste of money if the player does not stick with it - I'm not down with that angle either as good gear will hold value better than cheap stuff.

I guess for me the ratio above has been more like 2 or 3 to 1, and one could say id be a lot better today with a higher ratio, but had it started and stayed at 5 or 6 to 1, I really don't think i'd still be playing guitar today.

Last edited:
I’m all for getting the best of the best if you’ve got the money for it. Chances are, you’ll be fine with the factory presets until you start developing your own individual tastes and preferences. The AxeFX is something you can definitely grow into, that’s for sure.

If you peruse the forum, you’ll see that even advanced guitarists run into issues with it and I think that’s why you’re getting a little pushback. But hell, if you’ve got the cash for it, why limit yourself? I think there’s all kinds of interesting things that can happen when you put some horsepower like that in the hands of someone unfamiliar with it. There’s room for a lot of originality to come out of that just because of what the AxeFX is and without having a life of tones/preferences, it’s an open world, sonically. That’s pretty cool, in my book.

My live rig (FM9, but I’d do the same with my AxeFX III if I were gigging with it) will have two Mesa 2x12’s for onstage monitoring while it sends a direct signal to FOH. I figure this way, I‘m good to go for any situation I run into, as most venues down here don’t even mic cabs or have anything but kick/vocals in the PA. And I’ll still get to experience the stereo good stuff onstage.

I started guitar in my late 40s - I guess my perspective is not common but getting a good quality tone was important for me right from the beginning as it inspired me to continue even at a basic level where as I would have quit had I not moved up from the crappy gear I started with. I don't believe the commonly held opinion that beginners cannot hear/appreciate nuances of guitar tone that more advanced players can - I could always hear it, maybe because I've always been an avid fan of guitar based music. I actually think good tone is more important for a beginner as it removes key variables of concern for a player that will benefit a from one less thing to worry about (ie extreme case: playing a guitar that won't stay in tune with unfixably too high action into an invariably farty/fizzy amp or modeller) - I think great tone inspires great playing at any level. Another argument is that expensive gear for beginner is a waste of money if the player does not stick with it - I'm not down with that angle either as good gear will hold value better than cheap stuff.

I guess for me the ratio above has been more like 2 or 3 to 1, and one could say id be a lot better today with a higher ratio, but had it started and stayed at 5 or 6 to 1, I really don't think i'd still be playing guitar today.
Beautifully put, I am on the same boat as you. Good tone will continue to inspire me and would want to cover more and more fav songs, and will eventually be confident enough to play in front of some kind of audience perhaps.

Let it roll! I would have probably practiced and played a lot more years ago had I owned the gear that sounds like this (pedals and amps that the Axe models).

Not to say I hated playing at all, it was just so encouraging when I started playing through better gear post college when I could afford great gear and guitars.

Back
Top Bottom