Best way to setup a volume pedal pre everything

stereotactic

Experienced
Did a quick search, but found no obvious threads.

I want to use my EV pedal to mimic the effect of using an analog volume pedal which of course is an attempt to mimic the effect of the volume pot on the guitar. My best guess is to put a Vol/Pan block infront of everything and connect the Vol control to the EV. At least this way I can control the slope of the input and there's no sonic degradation or batteries..:)

Is this the best way, and if so is there also a simple way to mimic the tonal effect of the tone getting brighter as the vol pot on the guitar is turned down?

you can also go to the I/O CTRL menu and change "input volume" to whatever pedal or controller you're using. this will adjust input volume globally, and you don't need to add a vol block per preset. but you don't have the ability to change the taper.

Thanks!

I actually only want this for particular presets and not globally.

But, is there any difference in sound between putting a Vol/Pan in the grid or assigning the pedal to the global input block?

But, if I wanted to have the EV control both the input vol and bring up the verb mix as I decrease the input volume, I would need the Vol/Pan block so I could control the volume and the verb mix with the same pedal, right?

But, if I wanted to have the EV control both the input vol and bring up the verb mix as I decrease the input volume, I would need the Vol/Pan block so I could control the volume and the verb mix with the same pedal, right?
yes. Global controls are exactly that: global. so per-preset controls let you set different, and multiple things.

i mean you could assign multiple items in the I/O CTRL menu to the same pedal - input volume AND external controller 1, for example. you just have no options on the volume part.

Yes, understood, I got it to work with the VP block, input level comes down while verb mix increases. Such a great flexible and mostly intuitive and easy to use machine. Thanks for the help!

I know the first block in the grid is after the input noise gate; is the global "input volume" before or after the noise gate?

EDIT: After checking the manual I still can't tell. It says:

5.35 Input Noise Gate
Every Axe-Fx II preset includes a “built-in” Noise Gate connected directly to the main inputs.

-----------------------------------

9.4 Control Parameters
INPUT VOLUME
NONE/PEDAL/0-127
This controls the global input volume at the start of the preset chain and is useful to
assign when you want to emulate the behavior of a volume pedal between the guitar
and the amp.
-----------------------------

EDIT 2: The information above coupled with this diagram from the manual makes me think the input gate is before everything else, including the "input volume" control.

Axe-Fx_manual_overall_routing_diagram.PNG

Last edited:
Global input volume is before the Input block on the grid. It will affect the level that reaches the input gate, so if the Global input level is turned down with a controller below the set input gate threshold level, the noise gate may not open.

Back
Top Bottom