Best Way To Set up Presets for two Guitarists Two Axe-fx's??

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
So our new guitarist for my band just picked up his first axe fx per my recommendation. I think this is probably the 10th person I've converted from an amp to the axe. Lol

Anyways, Initially I will be setting up his axe and making a few standard presets for him to use live. My question is, what is the best way to go about setting up presets for his guitar that will work well with my presets? I use primarily the marshall style amps in the fractal. That's what I'm comfortable with and the sound I like. I'm afraid that when I set up his presets I may gravitate towards the same style and tone and that the two presets will clash too much live.
Are there certain types of amps that work well together one being more rhythm and one lead? Sometimes we may even both be playing rhythm for a song at the same time.

Is it ok to use the same style amp but just concentrate more on EQ? Or should I try and stay away from the types of amps I use. I'm using mainly suhr and Gibsons guitars with humbuckers and he uses a PRS 513 which has lace style humbuckers, so the guitars definitely are different tones and styles which should help differentiate them a bit

I just want to make sure I'm setting up the two guitars so they work well together in a live setting.

Any tips or tricks?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To me it can sound great with a 2 guitar band and both guitarist's playing similar tones.

For me, Its more about what parts you are playing vs. the tone that makes a 2 (or more) guitar band work.

Different guitars will suffice.

That's good to know that just the two different guitars would be an adequate difference. But id like to take it to the next step and really take advantage of what the axe has to offer. There's no reason why our two guitars shouldn't be amazing together with all the possibilities the axe offers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you run direct to FOH? If so, the FOH engineer should be giving you both separation in the mix.

Otherwise, it really comes down to what parts you are playing to make a difference in the mix.

Even if you had two completely different rigs, if you are both playing the same power chords for example, then you just fight each other in the mix as you are both covering the same sonic territory.

^this

Unless you used to set his amps for him because he didnt have a good ear for tone, let him pick his amp and cab and tune it himself. As with anything new, start simple - amp and cab only and get the gain amd tone right. A lot of times it's more about the cab selection than amp. I frequently leave bass, mid, and treb untouched. The cab(s) do the work.

I would not set him up, I would put together building blocks and help him build his tone. Shouldn't take long to show him 1 or 2 patches and turn him loose.

This ^ and set him up with Cooper's, Scott's and Chris' videos.

Plus, what are his favorite amps? Dial one up and then teach him how to tweak FAS-style. Then show him how to find the plethora of similar amps modeled by Ol' Saint Cliff. Do the same for cabs, con-UltraRes, etc.

Then turn him lose. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got his axe for him and he won't have it in his possession until Thursday. We have a gig Friday so I can't just turn him loose and let him figure it out in one night. At least for this gig im going to have to set him up as best as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Two Les Pauls plugged into Marshalls seemed to work well for these guys:

1978_06_Lizzy_Live_1.jpg

I'd say don't make the tones differ too much, make sure your tones have sort of the same characters, at least for rhythm tones, i.e. don't make his tones very dark and yours super bright, I've kind of run into this problem with the other guitarist in my band, our tones used to differ a lot earlier where his tones were a lot darker than mine and that just made his guitar disappear in the mix(we mainly use high-gain amps).

Back
Top Bottom