Best way to sell amps to fund Axe-Fx III?

ggarriso

Hey all - !!

Just wanted to check in and ask y'all a quick question, after breaking two fingers in my fretting hand a few years back I am finally getting back into playing and have decided to go full AXE FX III, ideally around late November of this year. I am sitting on a Bogner 101b with oversize 2x12 and a Mesa Roadster w/ a 4x12 that are both collecting dust. What is going to be the best way for me to sell these items to push over to Axe land? Shipping seems cost prohibitive so maybe I should post on reverb with local pickup only? Is craigslist even remotely safe these days for this type of transaction? Is ebay still even a thing for musical instruments?:)

thanks for any input :)

Greg

Ebay is too expensive. Reverb fees keep going up. Post here in classifieds and on the Gear Page to try and get something going. If you can deal with the fees on Reverb then add that to the list. Craigslist depends on your area. I have so-so luck every now and then.

Depends on your tolerance for dealing with low ballers, shipping, etc. I opted recently to just take a hit and sold a few amps, cabs, and a Rockcrusher at Guitar Center. Used the proceeds to fund an Axe III and FC6. I was ok with getting a bit less but having it all done in an hour or so.

I sell a ton of stuff (both musical and non-music) related on craigslist and have been for years. If you can deal with the tire kickers, people that you respond to and never get back to you and no-shows, it's the best way I've found. No fees, no shipping. Don't let dumb emails get to you. You can tell pretty quickly who's serious. Price you items reasonably (look up past sales via reverb and ebay, as well as look at other local CL's to see if anyone else is selling similar items). Follow common sense and you should be OK. I've never had an issue with safety.

I've been trying to get rid of an old Peavey 60/60 power amp for over a year and no luck. It's not worth a whole lot, so shipping would knock out a big chunk of what I would make.

In some areas FB marketplace is great - others, offerup or letgo apps. Craigslist can't hurt at all. List on reverb for local sale - you never know. I ended up selling a guitar and amp on reverb even though listed on local - I shipped both as buyer was willing to pay for fedex pack and ship, so i didnt' lose out on $.

I've also had success on FB Marketplace and buying local stuff on Reverb (actually haven't gotten some great deals that way).

Ebay is too expensive. Reverb fees keep going up. Post here in classifieds and on the Gear Page to try and get something going. If you can deal with the fees on Reverb then add that to the list. Craigslist depends on your area. I have so-so luck every now and then.

Reverb and Ebay have the same fees on instruments

Reverb's fees also have NEVER gone up

When did Reverb fees increase?

They started at 3% and have increased to 3.5%. Exactly when, I'm not 100% sure. It was just a smooth transition into 3.5%.

When did Ebay drop their prices?

I've usually done both Reverb and Craigslist.

My suggestion is to be patient. You will have a stoooopid amount of lowballers (those who are convinced you need to make rent in 2 days, so you will take any offer.) On reverb I don't even bother to 'decline' them. On craigslist I delete the email.

Patience. I have always found someone to buy, but in some cases have had to wait many months for them to show up.

Good luck.

R

Ebay sells 10000x faster and better than Reverb

Buyers don't really buy on reverb and sellers don't want to sell- typically brick and mortars that can't/don't compete just want free advertising.

Unless you know someone that will pay $75 for a used Metal Zone plus $25 shipping

Back
Top Bottom