Best Way to Route Into This Mixer?

ToTheAtom

So, I just purchased this mixer:

Mackie 1202VLZ4 (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1202VLZ4)

I have a brand new AX8 that was originally going to go direct into the back of my RME Babyface Pro audio interface via XLR. However, I expanded my setup to include two hardware synths and needed to incorporate a mixer to integrate everything nicely together. The plan is for the signal path to be instruments > mixer > interface > monitors.

That said, I think I'm going to keep the XLR inputs free on the Babyface Pro and would like to know what you would recommend as the best way to route the AX8 into the mixer? I'm pretty new to this. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
So, I just purchased this mixer:
Mackie 1202VLZ4 (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1202VLZ4)

Hey
Well I have the 1202 VLZ3. I have used the mackie 1202's with every fractal I have owned. Which is every version of the axefx and now the AX8. I use to use the direct outs to audio interface and axe fx to xlr inputs on the mixer. But realized after a while it was hurting the signal (degrading) So, last few years with Ech Layla3G & roland octa-captue I go ax8 out straight to ins on my interface, depends if I am on laptop(roland octa) or desktop, thats the Echo Layla3G. Then out of the interface into the line level inputs of the mixer. Just seems like less for the ax8 signal to find it's way thru. But, I did some pretty extensive research and testing. Sound is better this way ...in my case anyway. I mean the point of the mixer is for monitoring isn't it? So for that I don't mind running thru the mixer. BTW, I know the 4 is newer than the 3. The preamps are the only real difference. Since I use my audio interfaces preamps, really don't see me upgrading.
Anyway, good luck with all of it.
Hope you get more input..........

Appreciate the feedback. That's exactly what I was intending to do because it seems a much cleaner way to do that. However, I'm going to be plugging the mixer's main outs straight into the only balanced XLR inputs on the Babyface Pro, which leaves me with two options that I can think of:

Option A - Route the AX8 into the mixer somehow and then into the Babyface, which sends to the monitors.

Option B - Connect the AX8 directly to the Babyface's two unbalanced side inputs with TS cables.

Given the two options, which would you choose?

You have four stereo channels on your mixer. Why not just go straight from your AX8 to one of those stereo channels? That gives you one box to control and mix all your levels. Doesn't get any simpler than that. :)

Well, I have stated my experience. I would NOT go thru the buss on the mixer. Done that, sure it works but the signal is definitely affected by the internal busses of the mackie. Check the schematic in tha manual and you will see the many things it goes thru. Does the vlz4 have the direct outputs on the back, like previous 1202's? Reason I ask is, if you must go thru the stereo inputs of the mixer, say channel one. The direct outs do NOT go thru the internal buss and give a much "cleaner" signal to the interface with regular cables. With direct outs, the input only goes thru the level and gain controls. No EQ, no nothing else.

Why not try recording something-guitar only using each option. The 2 I have suggested and the one Rex suggested. Then run each thru something like FREE Voxengo span http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/ or similar spectrum analyzer. Then you will SEE what the difference are in the signals. I did this a while ago and that is how I came up with the routing I now use. very easy to do, just insert the VST in each track and watch the results in real time.

Well, I have stated my experience. I would NOT go thru the buss on the mixer. Done that, sure it works but the signal is definitely affected by the internal busses of the mackie. Check the schematic in tha manual and you will see the many things it goes thru. Does the vlz4 have the direct outputs on the back, like previous 1202's? Reason I ask is, if you must go thru the stereo inputs of the mixer, say channel one. The direct outs do NOT go thru the internal buss and give a much "cleaner" signal to the interface with regular cables. With direct outs, the input only goes thru the level and gain controls. No EQ, no nothing else.

Why not try recording something-guitar only using each option. The 2 I have suggested and the one Rex suggested. Then run each thru something like FREE Voxengo span http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/ or similar spectrum analyzer. Then you will SEE what the difference are in the signals. I did this a while ago and that is how I came up with the routing I now use. very easy to do, just insert the VST in each track and watch the results in real time.
What changes do you see when routing through the mixer? With line-level signals at reasonable levels, most mixers are very transparent.

What changes do you see when routing through the mixer? With line-level signals at reasonable levels, most mixers are very transparent.

To be honest, I do NOT remember. It was 2 years ago or more. Still was the VLZ3 though. Whatever year they came out was my last test and research date. I upgraded my 1202 model to the VLZ3..Like I said I have used these mixers for many, many years. Cheap and extremely functional, for me anyway. Rex, I am curious, I am only suggesting the OP compare the different routing. Please check the schematics on the 1202VLZ3 and VLZ4. You will see where that signal travels and thru which busses. I mentioned 3 ways, one was saying your way was one of the three to try. I never said it was "bad", just different and to me a very logical "easy" route to take.

Sounds like maybe the mixer's preamps were being overdriven. If you run AX8 into the mixer's line-level inputs, you avoid the preamps. By not going through the Interface, your signal gets routed through less "stuff." As a side benefit, you can use one of the mixer's stereo channels, putting both left and right onto the same fader.

Last edited:
My AX8 goes directly into a stereo line input on my mixer and I have no issues at all. (X32R now, but used to be Mackie CFX12ii)
I would suggest the same as @Rex above.

You have four stereo channels on your mixer. Why not just go straight from your AX8 to one of those stereo channels? That gives you one box to control and mix all your levels. Doesn't get any simpler than that. :)

if the signal is being degraded doing this, then something else is wrong.

With the Babyface, do you use that for recording at all?
What do you need to record?
That might influence your set up somewhat.

Thanks again, guys, for all of the feedback. Ideally, I agree with Stratman68 in that I would like to test the following four methods of connection to see which yields the best results:

1) AX8 > Babyface Pro balanced inputs (1&2) via XLR > monitors
2) AX8 > Babyface Pro unbalanced line inputs (3&4) via TS > monitors
3) AX8 > Mackie balanced inputs (1&2) via XLR > Babyface Pro > monitors
4) AX8 > Mackie balanced line inputs (5&6) via TRS > Babyface Pro > monitors

Maybe one option would clearly sound better. Maybe all would sound the same. Either way, the only way to truly find out is to experiment for yourself.

There's only one issue. As this is a new setup, I only have so many cable connections on hand. Testing all four methods would require a spare pair of XLR, TRS and TS cables - and I currently have no spares of any. Seeing as quality cables are actually quite expensive, it's really more of an ordering dilemma. I don't want to order all three, just to have the unused ones lying around, and I'd rather not play the return game. So, it's basically an educated guess at this point as to what would seem to be the best fit.

Regarding the Babyface, yes, I would like to eventually record through it (vocals, in particular, due to the quality of the preamps). However, whether I do or don't, my plan is to keep it at the end of the signal path (just before the monitors) to allow for DAW/VST integration. I can see myself wanting to use software effects for some of my other instruments, etc.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit. Very much appreciate the time and effort on your behalf!

@op
I just answered your inquiry with what my method is...since I have the same mixer (basically) and what I found, but also with my feelings. For recording, it's not just your "ear" when you have multiple options. Yes, only you can determine what is best for you.

@Callan.....Nope, nothing is wrong in my setup. I just happened to experiment, lots of research and test. I do NOT just plug in and say, well thats OK.........

Back
Top Bottom