Best way to record live show?

kevrock

Experienced
If everything is running into the board, in your guys opinion what's the best way to record it so we can listen to it and see what works and what don't. Not trying to make a live album lol. Just wanna hear the mix for my axe fx patches and the overall performance. Any ideas that r cheap and easy cuz out sound guys a drunk. Thanks

is the question "what device do i use to record from the board"? what does the drunk sound guy have to do with it?

Zoom H4n... capture a stereo feed from the tape out of the sound desk AND the FOH audio via the mics.

You could then align the two stereo tracks and mix between the room audio and the desk audio. Would give you the best idea short of multi-tracking the audio.

Zoom H4n... capture a stereo feed from the tape out of the sound desk AND the FOH audio via the mics.

You could then align the two stereo tracks and mix between the room audio and the desk audio. Would give you the best idea short of multi-tracking the audio.

+1

The signal of the board alone would not give you a true picture, since there are some sounds coming from the stage outside the FOH speakers, sounds from monitors, drums and so on.

The best way is to record all inputs (tracks) individually to your computer connected to the mixingtable. With DAW software you can process it afterwards.

We used a Behringer X32 connected with USB on a laptop running Cubase (Reaper could be a cheap alternative) and got great results. Not only can you mix, EQ, pan and process each track apart. You can also correct small error with copy/paste.

Don't forget to use ambiance mics so you can mix the audience.

Hey Voes, I have the same set up but using sonar as a daw. Recently started tying to line the audio up with video, which is a huge file. We are doing video in hd. What are you using to process your video?

The thing to be careful about with recording a live sound, is that sometimes the sound has been mixed to suit the room you are playing in; so it sounds great in the room but terrible on say headphones. With our old system, we could only record a stereo mixdown of the band from the desk and the instruments were always at the wrong levels because of this issue.

Now with our new system we also use a Behringer X32 directly into a MacBook with Cubase; it works brilliantly and you can really produce/master the tracks afterwards (it handles 32 tracks but we only use 16).

We used a Behringer X32 connected with USB on a laptop running Cubase...

A little off the topic voes, but are you finding that the USB connection has enough bandwidth? We're using Firewire but I want to change to USB as there is less risk to damaging the computer when unplugging the cable.

Best way to record a live show?

Step 1. Play show at Redrocks.
Step 2. Have Clair Brothers record it. (Plus multi camera video)

Hey Voes, I have the same set up but using sonar as a daw. Recently started tying to line the audio up with video, which is a huge file. We are doing video in hd. What are you using to process your video?

Sony Vegas Pro 12. We didn't film in HD, which makes the files much smalller.

A little off the topic voes, but are you finding that the USB connection has enough bandwidth? We're using Firewire but I want to change to USB as there is less risk to damaging the computer when unplugging the cable.

We recorded 2 times USB 32 tracks on 44.1 kHz with a windows 7 laptop 3-years old with no problems at all.

One time I forgot my laptop (which was on the concert of that video). Luckely the stagesoundguy had a computer, so we recorded 32 tracks 48 kHz with an Apple laptop. I don't know if it was with usb or firewire (I think firewire)

Unfortunally there were several audio drops on that concert. Maybe the Apple computer was to old. Maybe it was because of the 48 kHz. I Don't know.

FireWire is dead. Modern USB 2.0 handles it with no problem. In fact, the x32 consoles ship with the X-USB only, no FireWire on the card at all anymore.

To get an idea of what you sound like, use something nice like a "Zoom H2" or if you want to go the cheap route, fire up your
iPhone or Android phone and hit record while standing in the middle of the room while performing.
This will give you a good idea of what you sound like as a team, and in the playing environment and what your audience is hearing.
Room acoustics, people noises, overall volume of band and perceived solo volume of each of your instruments.
And.. Your recording engineer can have lots of drinks and not mess it up too much!

Loopie..

FireWire is dead. Modern USB 2.0 handles it with no problem. In fact, the x32 consoles ship with the X-USB only, no FireWire on the card at all anymore.

Is it? I've been recording with my Profire2626 with a 2013 MBP since last year. USB latency is still a problem for me and Thunderbolt interfaces are mega ££££. Sold my UAD Apollo due to constraints, so the 2626 is keeping me very happy in the interim. What do you use Chris? USB 2?

Well if it works it works, but from an industry POV, FireWire is definitely dead. I can do 32 in and out from my x32 over USB no problem.

Back
Top Bottom