Best way to record a video?

Hello!

I usually record my jamming with my FM3 through Garageband. I usually just have 2 tracks (one with a backing track and the other track for my guitar) but I want to start adding video to it.

But I'm not sure what's the best way to do it. I just downloaded iMovie, but the Facetime camera is super grainy and laggy. I don't think it would pair well with guitar playing. I was thinking about taking the video with my iPhone, then uploading that to iMovie, and then importing the garageband mp3 file from my FM3 recording and then mute the iMovie video audio and sync up the mp3 audio file to the video. Does that make sense? Or is there a much easier way that I'm missing?

Hello!

I usually record my jamming with my FM3 through Garageband. I usually just have 2 tracks (one with a backing track and the other track for my guitar) but I want to start adding video to it.

But I'm not sure what's the best way to do it. I just downloaded iMovie, but the Facetime camera is super grainy and laggy. I don't think it would pair well with guitar playing. I was thinking about taking the video with my iPhone, then uploading that to iMovie, and then importing the garageband mp3 file from my FM3 recording and then mute the iMovie video audio and sync up the mp3 audio file to the video. Does that make sense? Or is there a much easier way that I'm missing?

Yep, that’s what I’d do. Use your best camera (phone?) for the video. Export a WAV or AIFF from GarageBand, instead of an MP3. It will be higher quality. Then sync the garageband audio file with the camera audio, then make sure to turn down the camera audio.

Hello!

yep, you're basically stripping the phone audio and replacing it with the recorded audio. It's what most people (including myself do).

I would recommend strumming muted strings a couple times when you're recording both the audio into garageband and the phone. Then you can look at the waveform from both the phone audio and the garageband audio and sync them up much easier. Then just delete/trim off that part and you're good to go.

You can also record a video with Quicktime. I tried it out last night playing through the Axe FXIII. There are probably better ways to do it, but it worked.

QuickTime (Mac) works well for screen recording. The app Switcher (Larry Mitchell's tip) lets you record multiple video sources, online or offline.

The camera in your phone is probably the best camera you have. That is, if you are asking here...

I don't recall if iMovie has a sync function. FinalCut certainly does.

Just create a loud transient before you record (clap, muted strum, etc) and you should be able to sync up visually.

Also, remember to mute/turn down the camera audio when you mix in the directly recorded audio. So many videos head into amateur land when I can hear more of the "pick in the room" than the amped signal.

If you have an iPhone, you can actually record video in your computer with the phone, using a cable, just select in Quicktime the handy camera and you'll see it MacOS.

Then yeah, go to iMovie, strip off the audio from the video and manually sync the audio you recorded in GB. It can be tricky to sync, it is much easier in windows were you can write the exact time moment u want, in iMovie you have to zoom as much as t is allowed to move the video or audio track to "perfect" sync.

Back
Top Bottom