Best way to protect the fm9

Thanks for the suggestions guys. But there's no real clear cut option. Hopefully something will be invented(?) soon.
Yes, it is a tough one. I have the heavy magnetic covers (zenrigs and ceba, one on FM3 and the other on FM9) But for liquids that is, well, as you state, no clear cut option.

As a slight aside, based on a comment earlier above (and something another vendor, that I had an 'interesting' interaction with earlier this week, alluded to), I wanted to be clear that ZenRigs is not a big enterprise.

In fact, it's me.

With some help from my wife in packing, assembly and shipping.

I do all website work (including design and build, using an e-commerce platform), photography, marketing, product design, sales, comms, videos, music, assembly (with Mrs. ZenRigs for that one) etc etc etc.

This is all a largely unnecessary build up so I can say...

"I AM ZenRigs Man"

Sukh
Completely off-topic and maybe it fits with my current mood, but I enjoyed your video for "Don't Look Back."

I'm looking for input on the best protection of the fm9 at gigs.
I play quite frequently in environments that may lead to spills of beverages on the unit and i am looking for the best way to protect from this. What are your experiences?

Thanks
Hopefully won't happen. I have been using floor modelers for the last 16 years and have been fortunate enough to never have this experience. But I do understand the concern. There are some good suggestions in this thread.

I was just thinking and if you ever buy a box full of printer paper And the top of the box has flaps that come over all four sides; you could maybe stand that upright, fit the fm9 inside and cut holes in the back for all the cable
....Blinks several times....thinks for a second....finally says..."The subtle humor is almost wasted on this one, but it's crazy enough that it just might work..."

wouldnt be pretty but it would work lol
Yeah, or a half cut umbrella with the band name on the back, It's a fun Idea, but I actually thinking about it.
If you cut the half of the umbrella, it could sit nicely on the floor.
Only concern is it may just be the signal to throw some liquid

Hi mate,

I did design something for the FM9 and FC12 for spills, but it wasn't good enough sadly and not something I'd be happy putting my name on and selling to others. There's a slight challenge with both devices to do with the upper row of buttons, which isn't the case obviously with the FM3.

This is something that I'm subconsciously working on though. When we've worked through the initial wave of orders and when the FM9 deliveries are flowing (as you might know, I'm now also a part of G66, looking after distribution of Fractal products for G66 in the UK) I'll definitely be thinking on this more.

Thank you
Sukh

Hi Sukh,
Remembering you from back with your excellent MFC labels!
I made a plastic cover for my FM9 using scissors to cut medium thickness plastic sheeting which is oversized so it goes over the front, rear and to the sides. It works, but isn't great as I didn't have the correct radius hole cutters for the knobs. I'd also like it to be shaped, rather then just a flat sheet with holes.
But even so it works fine both to protect generally. and from liquids. The venting is underneath, so that's not an issue.
If you made one with properly stamped-out holes, I'd buy!

BTW, I bought the GearbyCEBA covers from Chad Boston. But after waiting for months, got an email saying because they can't get a VAT number for UK here's my money back.... :-( We export and import stuff to and from USA to UK, and it's not a problem. VAT numbers are issued immediately, and in any case, you can export to UK "buyer pays VAT" - happens all the time.
So there's a world market for this going by default Sukh.
All best,
Hugh

Last edited:
I use the gear by ceba plexi protectors. As far as spill/flood stuff... The holes in the side and bottomed are needed for heat dissipation so you really can't seal it off.

I saw one guy had a splash guard/sun visor on his setup but idk where he got itPXL_20230120_161245325.jpg
I recommend the plexi protectors they're very nice. I had them on the FM3 before I sold it and it survived many gigs.

I use the gear by ceba plexi protectors. As far as spill/flood stuff... The holes in the side and bottomed are needed for heat dissipation so you really can't seal it off.

I saw one guy had a splash guard/sun visor on his setup but idk where he got itView attachment 114776
I recommend the plexi protectors they're very nice. I had them on the FM3 before I sold it and it survived many gigs.
@ZenRigs Man sells a splash guard...

Hi Sukh,
Remembering you from back with your excellent MFC labels!
I made a plastic cover for my FM9 using scissors to cut medium thickness plastic sheeting which is oversized so it goes over the front, rear and to the sides. It works, but isn't great as I didn't have the correct radius hole cutters for the knobs. I'd also like it to be shaped, rather then just a flat sheet with holes.
But even so it works fine both to protect generally. and from liquids. The venting is underneath, so that's not an issue.
If you made one with properly stamped-out holes, I'd buy!

BTW, I bought the GearbyCEBA covers from Chad Boston. But after waiting for months, got an email saying because they can't get a VAT number for UK here's my money back.... :-( We export and import stuff to and from USA to UK, and it's not a problem. VAT numbers are issued immediately, and in any case, you can export to UK "buyer pays VAT" - happens all the time.
So there's a world market for this going by default Sukh.
All best,
Hugh
Hey mate!! Man, looong time. Hope all is well in your world :)

Hi Sukh ( @ZenRigs Man ),
All well this end. Great to see you with G66 - both of you are excellent ; good company!
Attached pic of my home-made rubbish plastic cover as mentioned. RUbbish pic too; the light doesn't actually reflect back as badly as in the pic.
It's just flat and wide enough to go over the edges, so if beer is poured it runs off into the stage electrics, monitors etc. I cut the holes with scissors, but ought to find the two correct-size hole punches required. But otoh the knobs turn ok and the plastic will make the beer run off.... and the heat vents are not impeded.
SO yeah, I'd invest in a properly-made one if you wanted to add it to your range!
And I expect it's decent enough protection for the displays although as visibility isn't affected by the plastic sheet, I may well invest in a perspex one (are you making these yet...? ;-) )FM9 cover1 forum.jpgFM 9 cover 2 forum.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Sukh,
All well this end. Great to see you with G66 - both of you are excellent ; good company!
Attached pic of my home-made rubbish plastic cover as mentioned. RUbbish pic too; the light doesn't actually reflect back as badly as in the pic.
It's just flat and wide enough to go over the edges, so if beer is poured it runs off into the stage electrics, monitors etc. Cut holes with scissors, but ought to find the two hole punches required. But otoh the knobs turn ok and the plastic will make the beer run off....
SO yeah, I'd invest in a properly-made one!
And I expect it's decent enough protection for the displays although as visibility isn't affected by the plastic sheet, I may well invest in a perspex one (are you making these yet...? ;-) )View attachment 115461View attachment 115462
This is very cool!

Ever since a show where his gear was in the rain, Neil Schon has his gear wrapped in regular home kitchen plastic wrap. You can see through it and it doesn't get in the way of the switches or anything.

I'm really liking @Hugomack idea, with out having something like that I might just be tempted to use Costco stretch-tie (plastic wrap) then just cut out holes for the vents and knobs, then have the CEBA cover for any hard falls onto the unit.

Back
Top Bottom