Best way to protect the fm9

imselln

I'm looking for input on the best protection of the fm9 at gigs.
I play quite frequently in environments that may lead to spills of beverages on the unit and i am looking for the best way to protect from this. What are your experiences?

Thanks

Gear by CEBA in the Pacific NW is a separate choice. While they're a small homespun several-man business, you could order today and expect your order in about 45-50 days lead time. Their backlog is comparatively large, and with recent FM9s being released into the wild, more people will likely order from either ZenRigs or CEBA.

These are the 2 primary choices that will provide a modest amount of protection from bumps, bruises, dings, dents, etc. Drink spillage might not be covered in either case, because liquid can infiltrate beneath plexiglass and saturate controls and/or keypads.

Sorry if this doesn't provide a satisfactory answer to your question. Other than put a fence around the FM9, I'm not sure what would protect it from drink spillage.

If you've got bar patrons or event attendees who pose a threat to your gear, how would you normally protect it? A bouncer is not typically the highest business person up the food chain...

a) You could leave the FM9 in the back of the stage and place a cheap Midi-Floorboard instead at the front
b) a big transparent plastic bag or cling film, doesnt look nice but will protect from those nasty things while you still can operate the FM9 ;-)

I'm looking for input on the best protection of the fm9 at gigs.
I play quite frequently in environments that may lead to spills of beverages on the unit and i am looking for the best way to protect from this. What are your experiences?

Thanks

Hi mate,

I did design something for the FM9 and FC12 for spills, but it wasn't good enough sadly and not something I'd be happy putting my name on and selling to others. There's a slight challenge with both devices to do with the upper row of buttons, which isn't the case obviously with the FM3.

This is something that I'm subconsciously working on though. When we've worked through the initial wave of orders and when the FM9 deliveries are flowing (as you might know, I'm now also a part of G66, looking after distribution of Fractal products for G66 in the UK) I'll definitely be thinking on this more.

Thank you
Sukh

As a slight aside, based on a comment earlier above (and something another vendor, that I had an 'interesting' interaction with earlier this week, alluded to), I wanted to be clear that ZenRigs is not a big enterprise.

In fact, it's me.

With some help from my wife in packing, assembly and shipping.

I do all website work (including design and build, using an e-commerce platform), photography, marketing, product design, sales, comms, videos, music, assembly (with Mrs. ZenRigs for that one) etc etc etc.

This is all a largely unnecessary build up so I can say...

"I AM ZenRigs Man"

Sukh

Anyone been able to do a vacuum form flexible cover like you used to see on computer keyboards? Just one piece, molded to allow for the buttons still to to be pressed, maybe challenge is being clear enough to read through, but seems just the thing to keep spills at bay

Or maybe the old DIY wrap some cling wrap over it a few times….

Anyone been able to do a vacuum form flexible cover like you used to see on computer keyboards? Just one piece, molded to allow for the buttons still to to be pressed, maybe challenge is being clear enough to read through, but seems just the thing to keep spills at bay

I've heard of folks using large ZipLock backs at outdoor gigs. I think Larry Mitchell used to do this

I corresponded with someone from

sales@protectcovers.com

But never followed through on it. I think they said they need to inspect my unit and I don’t feel like sending it away right now because I play it everyday. I sent them the dimensions. Feel free to reach out to them

The big challenge would be not blocking the ventilation holes...

Only current foreseeable solution for drink spillage protection at this time is Saran or plastic wrap front to back a few times, tucked under the front/back edges. I've not tried it, but could see that it might protect against drink spillage. Downside might be that wrapping too tight might impede footswitching or cause unwanted footswitching...

Simple fix for attaching might be some adhesive tape on the wrap, but this might be like herding cats, and something you'd need to switch to decaf for...

Last edited:
I was just thinking and if you ever buy a box full of printer paper And the top of the box has flaps that come over all four sides; you could maybe stand that upright, fit the fm9 inside and cut holes in the back for all the cable

Back
Top Bottom