Best way to operate Axe-Fx within my computer system?

Just received my Axe Fx II XL+ and I'm trying to figure the best way to run my sound. I have a pair of Focal powered monitors that I plan to mainly use. I use these for everyday computer purposes (music, gaming, etc). They are plugged into my headphone DAC/Amp (JDS Labs Element II), and that's what I use to change volume. I also plug my headphones into the Element, and I like that is has a switch to easily toggle between speakers and headphones. I should note, this isn't balanced, I run an TRS > RCA cable from the monitors to the dac/amp, but I don't get static or anything with how it's currently set up.

Now, how do I work the Axe Fx into this? Should I go XLR from my monitors to XLR on the Axe Fx to take advantage of it being balanced? I guess the issue here is that I would need to turn on my Axe Fx any time I wanted to use my speakers, which can be 8 hours or more per day depending on what I'm doing.

Any different methods I'm missing that would work with my current gear, or is there another piece of kit that will make my life easier?

Last edited:
You'll need an audio interface with multiple inputs to do this the fancy way.

Yes, the Axe can serve this purpose. It'll just have to be on, as you note.

you could opt for some sort of passive mixer as a less fancy option.

I would connect the Axe to the PC and speakers as an additional soundcard, then just switch the output to the DAC in volume mixer (or sound menu on MacOS) whenever you want to change between speakers and headphones.

Either that or ditch the DAC completely, depends if you want to hear your guitar from the headphones.

Leaving the Axe on isn't a problem.

I would connect the Axe to the PC and speakers as an additional soundcard, then just switch the output to the DAC in volume mixer (or sound menu on MacOS) whenever you want to change between speakers and headphones.

Either that or ditch the DAC completely, depends if you want to hear your guitar from the headphones.

Leaving the Axe on isn't a problem.

Yeah that's what I was thinking... my only issue with this is I have heard the Axe can get quite hot, and leaving it on in the summer might make my office a little toasty. Maybe I'll get an interface and throw it in a rack with the Axe for the speakers and keep using the DAC/Amp for my headphones.

You'll need an audio interface with multiple inputs to do this the fancy way.

Yes, the Axe can serve this purpose. It'll just have to be on, as you note.

you could opt for some sort of passive mixer as a less fancy option.

Any recommendations for something that'll do the job and not break the bank?

Last edited:
Any recommendations for something that'll do the job and not break the bank?
There are so many and a wide range of capabilities and I/O options.

probably best to set a budget and then find one that has the features you want.

how does it connect (usb, thunderbolt, etc).

how many and what kind of input output?

Behringer always seems to pack more features in per $ and seem reliable. We have a few focusrites here. Work well but the software is crap.

start here:
https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/studio-recording/audio-interfaces/

Just received my Axe Fx II XL+ and I'm trying to figure the best way to run my sound. I have a pair of Focal powered monitors that I plan to mainly use. I use these for everyday computer purposes (music, gaming, etc). They are plugged into my headphone DAC/Amp (JDS Labs Element II), and that's what I use to change volume. I also plug my headphones into the Element, and I like that is has a switch to easily toggle between speakers and headphones. I should note, this isn't balanced, I run an TRS > RCA cable from the monitors to the dac/amp, but I don't get static or anything with how it's currently set up.

Now, how do I work the Axe Fx into this? Should I go XLR from my monitors to XLR on the Axe Fx to take advantage of it being balanced? I guess the issue here is that I would need to turn on my Axe Fx any time I wanted to use my speakers, which can be 8 hours or more per day depending on what I'm doing.

Any different methods I'm missing that would work with my current gear, or is there another piece of kit that will make my life easier?

The Element has analog input, right? If so, simply plug your AxeFX analog output into the Element. Use the Element for system audio and the AxeFX for DAW audio.

The Element has analog input, right? If so, simply plug your AxeFX analog output into the Element. Use the Element for system audio and the AxeFX for DAW audio.
Really appreciate the help. Do you mind explaining a little more in-depth what you are talking about? Sorry I'm terrible at this stuff.. maybe a quick diagram to explain where to plug what and how that operates? I tried to link the website to the Element II, but Fractal wouldn't let me post it and was labeling it as spam, so you'll have to google it unfortunately.

"Element II accepts two methods of audio input: Digital input via USB, or Analog input via RCA jacks. Connecting an RCA cable mechanically bypasses the integrated DAC, so that the amplifier only plays audio from your external source."

Element II inputs:
  • USB from computer, which feeds to DAC then internal amp
  • RCA from AxeFX (requires a conversation to cable to go from either XLR or 1/4" phono to RCA)
Element II outputs:
  • Headphone on the front panel
  • RCA (to XLR) to monitors
The big issue with the Element functionality, however, is what you noted: the RCA input mechanically bypasses the DAC. Meaning that you can't use audio from USB (through the DAC) while your AxeFX is connected to the Element. There's no switch; to make this work you'd have to physically unplug the AxeFX from the Element every time you wanted to use USB audio direct into the Element.

Element II inputs:
  • USB from computer, which feeds to DAC then internal amp
  • RCA from AxeFX (requires a conversation to cable to go from either XLR or 1/4" phono to RCA)
Element II outputs:
  • Headphone on the front panel
  • RCA (to XLR) to monitors
The big issue with the Element functionality, however, is what you noted: the RCA input mechanically bypasses the DAC. Meaning that you can't use audio from USB (through the DAC) while your AxeFX is connected to the Element. There's no switch; to make this work you'd have to physically unplug the AxeFX from the Element every time you wanted to use USB audio direct into the Element.

Appreciate your assistance. So you're saying I could have it set up the same as I used it before the Axe Fx (with the addition of a cable from Axe > RCA Input on the Element), but I'd just have to unplug the RCA input whenever I wanted to get normal computer sound rather than sound from the Axe Fx? Am I more likely to get noise/static etc when using Axe Fx using TRS > RCA cables to the Element rather than balanced XLR cables from the monitors into the Axe?

That should work based on my understanding of the manual -- when you have the AxeFX connected to the Element's RCA input, it will output straight to either headphones or RCA out (which is connected to your monitors). Unplug the RCA input and you'll get USB audio going to headphones or RCA out.

Personally, I wouldn't want to keep plugging/unplugging cables, but it should work.

That should work based on my understanding of the manual -- when you have the AxeFX connected to the Element's RCA input, it will output straight to either headphones or RCA out (which is connected to your monitors). Unplug the RCA input and you'll get USB audio going to headphones or RCA out.

Personally, I wouldn't want to keep plugging/unplugging cables, but it should work.

Ah, gotcha. Seems like I need another alternative to the Element II that has more I/Os and can more easily switch between the PC and Axe without having to unplug anything...

The integrated DAC + amp makes it a little more difficult, I think. Using something like Mackie Big Knob switcher (choose between 2 inputs and 2 outputs) could work if you could choose between inputs (USB DAC, AxeFX) and outputs (headphones, monitors). That would be pretty easy with separate DAC and headphone amp.

I have two sets of speakers I use with my computer. A surround sound set when I want to game and my studio monitors when I listen to music or play my guitars. I have the Axe FX hooked up to the computer through USB and I just change the audio device I want to use in the computer on the fly. Sometimes I just leave the axe fx as my sound card for gaming as well and it sounds much better than the PC's built-in soundcard over the surround speakers but sometimes I need that surround sound to know where the enemy is at in-game lol. It's a simple as opening the sound options menu and selecting the axe fx or the soundcard though.

I would love to figure out a way to get surround sound through the axe fx but I don't think it can be done. I can always add a subwoofer to my studio monitors and I could add two more monitors as well but I don't think they can be routed to rear channels.

Back
Top Bottom