Best way to make the pickup routes on a Tele body deeper?

Yes! That looks like the right thing to use. With a plunge router. Have to decide if I want to buy $100 in bits and a power tool to do this or maybe pay the local shop some money to do it...
Just rent one from Lowe’s/Home Depot. 😂

Are u crafty? Cause I am and can't imagine life without a router. You don't even need a big one for the job listed. Any little plunge router should do ya fine.

A fast Dremel with a routing bit, i do this for what you are needing and have done it on floyd rose conversions.

You need a strong hand and practice.

I was also going to suggest a Forstner bit in your drill press. Put some padding on the back of the guitar body so it won't get scratched, and use a couple Quick Grip clamps to hold it to the drill press base. You'll probably be able to purchase just 1 bit that's the same radius as the corner contours of the existing routes, then clean up the edges with a chisel. Just don't forget to set the stop on your drill press to the correct depth.

You could also rent a router at any tool rental place, and use a bit with a bearing that's the same size as the bit, as was suggested, (with that bearing bit, you don't need a template) and again, buy one that's the same size radius as the existing contours, whichever one is the smallest. Whichever "route" you go, if you have no or limited experience doing this sort of thing, I'd suggest practicing on some scrap wood first.

Yes! That looks like the right thing to use. With a plunge router. Have to decide if I want to buy $100 in bits and a power tool to do this or maybe pay the local shop some money to do it...
I say do it yourself and use it as a learning experience and gain not only experience but the tools to do the job again!

I too echo the use of a pattern bit and plunge router. Practice on a chunk of flat wood first to get the feel of how the tool handles and always make small cuts and let the tool do the work don't force it! once you understand how it works you will be was that it... really?

Back
Top Bottom