Best way to make room for AustinBuddy's Tonepack?

For the OP, the installation guide for AB has a pretty good plan, where you load an empty bank that it comes with into bank A, then the AB pack, then the factory bank 1 or whatever. This has worked well for me, as that first bank ends up being the easy go to presets I use most of the time and are easiest to find.

I get your dilemma, it is a tough decision to make! :grimacing:

What I have done, was keep the first 30 presets blank for me (for my most frequently used presets). Then I loaded ALL of the AB presets from preset 31 onwards so that I have them all, and then loaded the first bank of Factory presets after the AB ones (cos I like those). Then the rest are empty for my own custom presets that I don't use as often.

Quick dumb question: how do I load the AustinBuddy banks starting from preset 31 onward? I'm not seeing an option like that in FractalBot.

Thanks, I thought that might work, but the AustinBuddy files are just in two A+B bank files for Fractalbot, which Axe-manage doesn't read.

I'm an idiot, figured out what I was doing wrong. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
For the OP, the installation guide for AB has a pretty good plan, where you load an empty bank that it comes with into bank A, then the AB pack, then the factory bank 1 or whatever. This has worked well for me, as that first bank ends up being the easy go to presets I use most of the time and are easiest to find.

Thanks, this is what I'm actually doing right now. The minute I tried a few of the AB presets, I suddenly was less concerned about the factory presets. lol

But I never did see any kind of installation guide. I found notes in the readme, and saw that he had mentioned making a video guide back in June, but never could find anything on his youtube channel. Tons of AX8 stuff, but nothing about installing to the Axe III. Maybe I overlooked it somehow? I really searched, because it wasn't immediately intuitive how to approach this.

But I never did see any kind of installation guide. I found notes in the readme, and saw that he had mentioned making a video guide back in June, but never could find anything on his youtube channel.

I kinda stumbled into the export-as-single-presets in the Preset Management screen.

Right-click has a lot of stuff there, as it does many places within AxeEdit. :)

To me that's just the thing.. I have the AB pack, some Moke and some Fremen presets, plus Marco Fanton, Glenn DeLaune, etc.. and most of these guys use custom IRs, and (despite Moke's efforts..) most use the same User slot #s.. so one has to adjust the presets to load the IRs from different slot #s.. same thing with Manual Controllers.. some use the Ext. 1-2.. other the FC's pedals.. so I need to adjust that as well to my liking for each preset.. then I need to save these 'adjusted' presets in distinct folders and then remember to load these when needed.. just adds complications in my mind.. but most likely because I'm still at the exploratory stage I guess.. once I get more comfortable making my own presets from scratch maybe I'll feel like 512 preset slots are more than enough.. but I must admit it WAS a bit of a shocker for me too, coming from the XL+, when I realized there was 'only' 512 slots! ;-(

The rest of the greatness makes you forget about that pretty quickly though! Cheers.

I must admit it WAS a bit of a shocker for me too, coming from the XL+, when I realized there was 'only' 512 slots! ;-(
<cranky old guy rant>
"Only 512".

My first digital box (Yamamaha GEP50) had 50, and I was thankful for it.

Uphill.

Both ways.

In the snow.

With holes in my shoes and a hot potato in my pocket to stay warm.

Kids these days don't know how good they have it.

Get off my lawn.
</cranky old guy rant>

:p

<cranky old guy rant>
"Only 512".

My first digital box (Yamamaha GEP50) had 50, and I was thankful for it.

Uphill.

Both ways.

In the snow.

With holes in my shoes and a hot potato in my pocket to stay warm.

Kids these days don't know how good they have it.

Get off my lawn.
</cranky old guy rant>

:p

Man I haven't been called a 'kid' in the longest time!!! You just made my day! ;-)

I would like some more preset slots as well. I've heard the "how many need more than 512 presets" lots of times, but I could say the same with cabs "how many use more than 2048 user cabs".
I guess that it's all about memory, so...If there was an option in the axe settings where you could choose, a parameter like "preset/cab memory" with options like "512/2048", "768/1560", "1024/1024"...then everybody would be happy.

I have no idea how much memory presets uses vs. cabs....but you get the idea :)

Hopefully III+ will have memory expansion slot so the unit could sell with a reasonable price tag, but those who want could purchase 1TB sd card and fit as many presets in there as they please. And also a feature to save the cab IR file(s) within the preset file so you wouldn't have to keep track on the mapping.

So... here is my advice. First back up everything when you get it, using FractalBot.

You will always have access to Fractal Factory presets from their website, as well as the original download files from the Naked Amps.

Next, there is a blank bank in the 1400+ Naked Amps TonePack. Load that into Bank A. It will overwrite everything, that's okay. You are going to be using Bank A as your own FAVORITES bank, using Axe-Edit.

Next, load the Factory Bank 1 or A into Bank B on your Axe-Fx III. Spend some time checking out the Factory takes on many popular amp models. Factory Banks B and C are very cool but are heavy on effects and showing what the Fractal can do. They aren't real basic live/club presets.

Then load each Naked Amps bank 1 and 2 into your Axe-III's Bank C and D slots, using FractalBot (one bank at a time). You now have three banks of great amp sounds!

Start checking out amps using Axe-Edit. When you find an amp you love, simply copy and save it into your own Axe-III's Bank A - start filling that up with your chosen "Keepers'.

When you've gone through all the Factory Bank A presets (residing now on your Axe-III's bank B), and have saved the ones you like into your personal "keepers" Bank A, then you can overwrite the Factory Bank A (in your Axe-III Bank B) with Factory Bank B - -then check that out....then later do for Factory Bank C.

My other advice is, when you hear great EFFECT in the Factory presets - a great delay, reverb, rotary, etc. -- save the BLOCK for it (start creating your own effects block library), so you can access it and put it into your own presets.

Etc. This is just one methodology...

Last edited:
Thanks, this is what I'm actually doing right now. The minute I tried a few of the AB presets, I suddenly was less concerned about the factory presets. lol

But I never did see any kind of installation guide. I found notes in the readme, and saw that he had mentioned making a video guide back in June, but never could find anything on his youtube channel. Tons of AX8 stuff, but nothing about installing to the Axe III. Maybe I overlooked it somehow? I really searched, because it wasn't immediately intuitive how to approach this.

Conceptually, FractalBot and loading/saving banks to/from the Axe-Fx III works the same as shown in this older video, made for loading the original 700+ Naked Amps into the older Axe-FX II.

Last edited:
So... here is my advice. First back up everything when you get it, using FractalBot.

You will always have access to Fractal Factory presets from their website, as well as the original download files from the Naked Amps.

Next, there is a blank bank in the 1400+ Naked Amps TonePack. Load that into Bank A. It will overwrite everything, that's okay. You are going to be using Bank A as your own FAVORITES bank, using Axe-Edit.

Next, load the Factory Bank 1 or A into Bank B on your Axe-Fx III. Spend some time checking out the Factory takes on many popular amp models. Factory Banks B and C are very cool but are heavy on effects and showing what the Fractal can do. They aren't real basic live/club presets.

Then load each Naked Amps bank 1 and 2 into your Axe-III's Bank C and D slots, using FractalBot (one bank at a time). You now have three banks of great amp sounds!

Start checking out amps using Axe-Edit. When you find an amp you love, simply copy and save it into your own Axe-III's Bank A - start filling that up with your chosen "Keepers'.

When you've gone through all the Factory Bank A presets (residing now on your Axe-III's bank B), and have saved the ones you like into your personal "keepers" Bank A, then you can overwrite the Factory Bank A (in your Axe-III Bank bb) with Factory Bank B - -then check that out....then later do for Factory Bank C.

My other advice is, when you hear great EFFECT in the Factory presets - a great delay, reverb, rotary, etc. -- save the BLOCK for it (start creating your own effects block library), so you can access it and put it into your own presets.

Thanks very much -- this sounds like an excellent way to go about it. And it hadn't occurred to me to really pay attention to the effects used and save them as blocks.

And thanks so much for all your hard work on this Tone Pack. It's amazing!!

When you've gone through all the Factory Bank A presets (residing now on your Axe-III's bank B), and have saved the ones you like into your personal "keepers" Bank A, then you can overwrite the Factory Bank A (in your Axe-III Bank bb) with Factory Bank B - -then check that out....then later do for Factory Bank C.

Please include this as a Readme!

....My other advice is, when you hear great EFFECT in the Factory presets - a great delay, reverb, rotary, etc. -- save the BLOCK for it (start creating your own effects block library), so you can access it and put it into your own presets.

In my opinion this little nugget is the BEST advice. My effects block library is bigger than my preset library. Coupled with basic @austinbuddy presets, and a full effects block library, I can build really good presets and tones very quickly! I have all of the right ingredients, so let's eat cake!

Back
Top Bottom