Best way to make room for AustinBuddy's Tonepack?

Fleece

I'm thrilled that my AxeFX III is arriving in 12 hours, and I've already purchased AustinBuddy's acclaimed tonepack!

But I'm also a bit bummed that Fractal has lowered the number of presets, and I'll immediately need to delete factory presets to make room for these new ones. A stronger man than I would leave it stock for a while and really get to know the factory presets, but I'm a grown 12 year old, and am dying to load the "embarrassment of riches," as I've heard AustinBuddy's latest work described.

I'm curious how others have approached this, and if there are any 'best practices' or other things I should consider. With only 128 free slots, and 253 in the tonepack (not counting 'bonus' presets), it seems I'll need to delete a minimum of 125 factory presets.

My current plan, to audition presets backwards from 382 and delete ones I don't like as I go until I've deleted 125, then fill those holes from the lower numbered presets, seems a bit haphazard. I'm hoping someone can tell me a better way to go about it? Thanks in advance.

I get your dilemma, it is a tough decision to make! :grimacing:

What I have done, was keep the first 30 presets blank for me (for my most frequently used presets). Then I loaded ALL of the AB presets from preset 31 onwards so that I have them all, and then loaded the first bank of Factory presets after the AB ones (cos I like those). Then the rest are empty for my own custom presets that I don't use as often.

Honestly, the factory ones are awesome, but the presets are specific to what you prefer. For example: if you get Fremen, most of the better SUS, ML, and Austin buddy thats pretty much all your presets, and you really never have to look for another one again.....Austin buddy solves half your problem if you look at it like it taking 2 sets of banks!

But I'm also a bit bummed that Fractal has lowered the number of presets, and I'll immediately need to delete factory presets to make room for these new ones.

Sorry, I just crawled out from the rock I was living under and saw this. The number of presets have been lowered? Im on firmware 7 and I still show the same number of presets I have always had. Am I missing something?

In comparison to the last, more generous allocation on the previous generation OF AxeFx, which I ALSO MISS DEARLY. (768vs512)

AHHHHHHH

Ok, now that makes sense. I owned the first generation Axe FX II, I think mine was a MK1, not even a MK2 let alone XL or XL+. So to me, 512 presets is considerably more than I was used to.

Thanks for clearing that up. I instantly read that I thought, oh crap, did I just lose a bunch of my presets when I upgraded to firmware 7, I didn't see that in the release notes?

AHHHHHHH

Ok, now that makes sense. I owned the first generation Axe FX II, I think mine was a MK1, not even a MK2 let alone XL or XL+. So to me, 512 presets is considerably more than I was used to.

Thanks for clearing that up. I instantly read that I thought, oh crap, did I just lose a bunch of my presets when I upgraded to firmware 7, I didn't see that in the release notes?
Still hoping that Cliff finds a way to squeeze em in, tho he has stated in the past it ain’t happening..(he’s pulled more impressive rabbits out of his hat...)

But in lieu of the currently unavailable xtra preset real estate, my priority is for the NAKED AMPS , then as many Fremen, Moke (his clean to mean factory bank and asst one offs ) Leon and Burgs as fit, the rest (in no particular order or location ) are my unholy creations I can usually not share since they are derived from the other, more skilled cats’ intellectual property...........stock presets have, for now , been relegated to the computer...but I am anxious to hear the next batch...............

Last edited:
In my world I figured back a couple of Axes ago I don't use the majority of factory presets and I won't use the majority of Austin Buddy preset collection or anyone else's. Just looking for the couple of dozen keepers. I moved all my factory presets over to Banks 2,3,4,5 and keep the first bank as a working bank with goto presets and song list. I pull up Austin Buddy and others from the computer and move them to the III when desired.

Does anyone really “need” more than 512 presets loaded at once though ? You’d need to be in one heck of a cover band right? lol

With Axe-edit it’s so simple to load a bank, or even just pick one preset from a bank. You’ve got basically unlimited preset storage all a mouse click away, which, IMO, rather negates the main need for more onboard storage.

What do people think would be a good number of preset slots ? 1000, 2000, 5000 ?

Mind you, more in no way is bad, assuming it doesn’t comprise anything else, but I just don’t really understand it myself.

I use about 30 presets, drawn from stock, AB, my own stuff etc, and with all the scenes, dual amp sets, etc that is already about 200 some tones I try to keep up to date! I feel a bit overwhelmed by that even lol.

I can’t imagine really having say 1,000 presets loaded up, as with scenes we are talking like 8,000 possible tonal options, where it would just be sheer paralysis analysis to find a tone for me

You can turn it as you like: It´s easy to run short of the number of presets :( I would like to have the stock presets and place for Austin Buddy and my own presets. No big issue, ok ... but I see all this presets as a library to check something fast, for recording and for fun. You can´t have enough books in a library.

Last edited:
Does anyone really “need” more than 512 presets loaded at once though ? You’d need to be in one heck of a cover band right? lol

With Axe-edit it’s so simple to load a bank, or even just pick one preset from a bank. You’ve got basically unlimited preset storage all a mouse click away, which, IMO, rather negates the main need for more onboard storage.

What do people think would be a good number of preset slots ? 1000, 2000, 5000 ?

Mind you, more in no way is bad, assuming it doesn’t comprise anything else, but I just don’t really understand it myself.

I use about 30 presets, drawn from stock, AB, my own stuff etc, and with all the scenes, dual amp sets, etc that is already about 200 some tones I try to keep up to date! I feel a bit overwhelmed by that even lol.

I can’t imagine really having say 1,000 presets loaded up, as with scenes we are talking like 8,000 possible tonal options, where it would just be sheer paralysis analysis to find a tone for me
Perhaps all true, but the fact remains that many of us were spoiled by the larger inclusion on the XL+ and have subpar organizational skills.....:cool:

I get your dilemma, it is a tough decision to make! :grimacing:

What I have done, was keep the first 30 presets blank for me (for my most frequently used presets). Then I loaded ALL of the AB presets from preset 31 onwards so that I have them all, and then loaded the first bank of Factory presets after the AB ones (cos I like those). Then the rest are empty for my own custom presets that I don't use as often.

That makes a TON of sense, thanks! With the Axe II, I had dedicated about 100 empty slots up front for personal favorites, and that wound up being overkill. 30 will force me to be smart about it. And the Axe III's presets, like the II's, seem to front-load the really practical presets (honestly, I could probably die happy with the first 100!). That'll give me a great baseline to start with, some breathing room for my own favorites, and over the next weeks and months (and years!) I can figure out the rest. Solid plan. Thanks for the assist!

Still hoping that Cliff finds a way to squeeze em in, tho he has stated in the past it ain’t happening..(he’s pulled more impressive rabbits out of his hat...)

I can't help but wonder if it's not about capability or storage space, but rather design philosophy. There comes a point at which navigating hundreds of presets with a spinning dial -- to say nothing of the aforementioned 'analysis paralysis' -- detracts from the experience. I know that this will force me to use Axe-Manager more than I did with the Axe II, and that's probably for the best. It's safe to say that there were at least 300 presets on my Axe II that I never, ever used.

I realize that's a bit ironic coming from a guy who's now griping about deleting factory presets, but it's just an adjustment that I should probably go through. I need to start looking at the stock presets as a broad showcase/demo of what it can do, and merely a jumping off point. In the past, I've relied on presets too much I think. To borrow a dated keyboard analogy, these are less like a Casio, and more like a Kurzweil workstation -- their value corresponds directly with the effort one puts in.

Exactly.

Memory for more presets could also increase the price, which I think most people would not want.

Perhaps all true, but the fact remains that many of us were spoiled by the larger inclusion on the XL+ and have subpar organizational skills.....:cool:

That is where the beauty of the PC comes in handy..... instead of hundreds and hundreds of endless presets in no given order, you can use folders and actually have some logical organization.

I have one for example of Burgs presets. When he adds something new, I download to the given folder. I have my AB stuff, my own stuff etc.

Makes it way easier to find stuff than trying to just remember preset 482 is by such and such...

I'm thrilled that my AxeFX III is arriving in 12 hours, and I've already purchased AustinBuddy's acclaimed tonepack!

But I'm also a bit bummed that Fractal has lowered the number of presets, and I'll immediately need to delete factory presets to make room for these new ones. A stronger man than I would leave it stock for a while and really get to know the factory presets, but I'm a grown 12 year old, and am dying to load the "embarrassment of riches," as I've heard AustinBuddy's latest work described.

I'm curious how others have approached this, and if there are any 'best practices' or other things I should consider. With only 128 free slots, and 253 in the tonepack (not counting 'bonus' presets), it seems I'll need to delete a minimum of 125 factory presets.

My current plan, to audition presets backwards from 382 and delete ones I don't like as I go until I've deleted 125, then fill those holes from the lower numbered presets, seems a bit haphazard. I'm hoping someone can tell me a better way to go about it? Thanks in advance.
You can back up the factory presets individually using the preset manager, so you can re-import individual presets if needed, and place them where you want them.

I recently did this with a bunch, after picking a bunch that seemed like useful examples for what I want. Still have 256 to go through, then the last bunch can be removed from the AxeFX III to make room for mine....

Exactly.

Memory for more presets could also increase the price, which I think most people would not want.

Would be nice if it was an option, or a card with some extra flash on it that could be bought separately.

I actually just had to modify a product at work for some additional flash, as the feature creep keeps getting more and more out of hand.

Actually, given that a lot of presets might have associated cabs makes it a pain in the ass to just load up a random folder of presets.

I'd say I'd be cool with 1024. I'd like to be able to keep the factory presets, but be able to load up the AB presets, and all the other blocks of presets I've purchased at different times. Just last night I was remembering a couple of presets in a Freeman back I bought, and then had to go find something else to delete. It would be great if I didn't have to keep track of what I was doing in a notebook, in case I want to replace it again later.

One thing that would be nice, is if the preset search bar also searched the scene names. There are times when I know exactly the name of a scene I want, but it take me a long time to find it because I don't remember the preset name. Like if "80s" just returned the presets that have a scene name that contains that. I think I have at least five with that in the name.

Back
Top Bottom