Best Way to hook up the Axe-Fx III

Tommy Tempest

Power User
I just received my AXE FX III. I noticed there are no 1/4 inch jacks for input 1 and 2.
My AXE FX II is setup xlr channel 1 to FOH. L/R 1/4 inch to Mesa 2:50 amp.
What is the best way to connect the AXE III to achieve the same results?

Not sure of your question...are you talking inputs or outputs? If you’re going xlr to foh, then those are there. If you want to go 1/4” to the mesa, then use out 3. I am using some cables that have xlr on one end and 1/4 on the other for out 2, just because I had them.

I just received my AXE FX III. I noticed there are no 1/4 inch jacks for input 1 and 2.
there is a very detailed section with many setup configurations. have you seen those?

also, there are 1/4 inch jacks for input 1 and 2.

Do you mean Output 1 & 2?

I would recommend using Output 1 for FOH, as all of the presets will have their Cab simulations set to Output 1. You can get XLR>TS or XLR>TRS cables if you want to use Output 2 for the 2:50, or just use Output 3 or 4 with the 2:50. I don't think the 2:50's inputs are balanced, so I don't know that it will matter TRS or TS.

Setup like this you won't need to change every single preset, except to add the output you choose for the 2:50. Just branch the signal off immediately prior to the cab. For presets with effects after the cab, you would need to move the cab to the end of the chain, prior to Output 1, and branch the signal to the cab, and to the Output with the 2:50.

Make sense?

there is a very detailed section with many setup configurations. have you seen those?

also, there are 1/4 inch jacks for input 1 and 2.
Yes no matter how I hook it up, channel 2,3 and 4 give me a pass through sound with no volume. Channel 1 out gives me the preset tones, but no volume. All volume is low. I'll keep reading.

Do you mean Output 1 & 2?

I would recommend using Output 1 for FOH, as all of the presets will have their Cab simulations set to Output 1. You can get XLR>TS or XLR>TRS cables if you want to use Output 2 for the 2:50, or just use Output 3 or 4 with the 2:50. I don't think the 2:50's inputs are balanced, so I don't know that it will matter TRS or TS.

Setup like this you won't need to change every single preset, except to add the output you choose for the 2:50. Just branch the signal off immediately prior to the cab. For presets with effects after the cab, you would need to move the cab to the end of the chain, prior to Output 1, and branch the signal to the cab, and to the Output with the 2:50.

Make sense?
Yes, as my XL + was set that way for an FOH setup. I have the II set to out 1 is FOH and out 4 is to the 2:50. However, I have no volume at all on anything I set.

Yes no matter how I hook it up, channel 2,3 and 4 give me a pass through sound with no volume. Channel 1 out gives me the preset tones, but no volume. All volume is low. I'll keep reading.
have you turned up the Output 1 knob?

you need to either add Output 2 block into each preset, or turn on the COPY option in the Setup menus. the setup section mentions all this.

check your Cab block in a factory preset that is quiet - is there a Cab actually loaded in there?

Yes, as my XL + was set that way for an FOH setup. I have the II set to out 1 is FOH and out 4 is to the 2:50. However, I have no volume at all on anything I set.

If you change the Output 1 block to Output 4, do you get signal at the 2:50? It may not sound good like this, since the cab block is on, but it would rule out hardware issues.

have you turned up the Output 1 knob?

you need to either add Output 2 block into each preset, or turn on the COPY option in the Setup menus. the setup section mentions all this.

check your Cab block in a factory preset that is quiet - is there a Cab actually loaded in there?
I have the copy option on, but it doesn't send the preset's proper tone signal. It sends a bypass dry guitar tone through.

I turned the output 4 all the way up, added the output block 4 to the preset. But I have to turn the gain to 18db to get the meters to get into the orange. Also is there a setting to change the instrument input to line in? Or do I need to plug my input into channel 2 input?
I'll check for the cab blocks.
Thanks

Last edited:
If you change the Output 1 block to Output 4, do you get signal at the 2:50? It may not sound good like this, since the cab block is on, but it would rule out hardware issues.
Yes I'm getting signal. It's just really low unless I crank the gain on output 4 to 18db. I played with the input settings in the setup menus but nothing changes. I'm sure I'll get it. It's just a learning curve. Thanks

Yes I'm getting signal. It's just really low unless I crank the gain on output 4 to 18db. I played with the input settings in the setup menus but nothing changes. I'm sure I'll get it. It's just a learning curve. Thanks
Output 4 is meant for unity gain applications - it may not be the best option for troubleshooting at this time.

Stick with Out 1 and Out 2 for now.

as for the Copy option, it sounds like you turned on Copy for Output 3 or 4 - if you read carefully, you'll see that those copy the dry INPUT signal to Out 3 or Out 4 for easy reamping or other uses.

as i mentioned, just use Out 1 and 2 for now, as those are most like what you are used to. the Copy option for Out 2 will send the full signal - whatever appears at Out 1 in the grid.

Last edited:
Output 4 is meant for unity gain applications - it may not be the best option for troubleshooting at this time.

Stick with Out 1 and Out 2 for now.

as for the Copy option, it sounds like you turned on Copy for Output 3 or 4 - if you read carefully, you'll see that those copy the dry INPUT signal to Out 3 or Out 4 for easy reamping or other uses.

as i mentioned, just use Out 1 and 2 for now, as those are most like what you are used to. the Copy option for Out 2 will send the full signal - whatever appears at Out 1 in the grid.
Thanks I'll try that

Question, what happens with the following configuration:

Choose the first preset or another preset that has not been altered.

Guitar > Input 1 on Axe FX III > Output 1 (1/4") > Mesa 2:50 > Cabinet

Do you get signal and good volume out of the cab with the Output 1 knob turned up a little?

Output 1 has 1/4" and XLR outputs, Outputs 3 are also 1/4".

Use the Copy option but send Output 1 to your amp and 2 to FOH.

Or else, add Output 3 or 4 to your preset grid and raise the level in the block. It has up to 20db of gain.

what is "channel 2 in"? is that Input 2 on the Axe-Fx?

if so, have you put an Input 2 block on the grid? why not use Input 1?
Yes channel 2 in is input 2. Sorry for the mis-label.
Is input 1 instrument only or line in as well? I could not specifically find that in the manual. If so I'll use input 1. Right now I am plugged into input 2.

Back
Top Bottom