Best way to expand a one-row grid

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
I have a number of one-row presets that I'd like to expand to two rows or more. To do that, you have to move some of the blocks up or down, than add send and return blocks to connect them.

The awkward part is that moving half the blocks up or down disconnects them. Is there a way to do that that doesn't require reconnecting each moved block?

I'm interested in techniques both for the front panel and Axe-Edit.

You just need to reconnect them. It breaks connections so feed back doesn’t happen.

You just need to reconnect them. It breaks connections so feed back doesn’t happen.
How would preserving the input and output connections when moving a block up or down cause feedback that wasn't there before? It wouldn't be changing how things are connected, just where they're located on the grid.

If the new blocks are all on the second row and disconnected, you can connect the first one to the last one, and it connects all of them. I was happy when I discovered that! 😂

If the new blocks are all on the second row and disconnected, you can connect the first one to the last one, and it connects all of them. I was happy when I discovered that! 😂
I'm not talking about adding blocks at this point, just moving existing ones up or down, but that's still super useful info, will check it out, thanks.

I set up a template preset that seems to work great as far as creating new presets. Never really have to move things up or down because there are plenty of spaces to put blocks. Not sure if that would be helpful (moving forward) for you or not, but thought I'd offer my input. I think I've seen this type of thing in several of the other members' presets so I borrowed it and it definitely reduced the amount of things I had to move up and down.
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 10.03.03 AM.png

Last edited:
Right on Dave.....me too.....should have clarified, I do the moving right up front before adding a bunch of crap......then trying to make it fit later. :oops:

Right on Dave.....me too.....should have clarified, I do the moving right up front before adding a bunch of crap......then trying to make it fit later. :oops:
Yeah, but lots of factory presets are a single line nearly full. Starting from there, moving half that line up or down is what you have to do.

yup. move one block at a time, reconnect them when you're done moving things. the reconnect should be 2 clicks for a new single line - output of the 1st block in the line to the input of the last block in the line. takes 2 seconds to connect i believe.

if i remember correctly, early versions of Axe-Edit tried to maintain all connections, but lines got crossed, connecting to earlier blocks and just creating a mess. having it disconnect avoids that, and reconnecting is very simple. i definitely almost blew out speakers with the early versions that didn't disconnect things.

perhaps they can improve block movement and connections, but as it is now, aside from moving one block at a time, the reconnecting is really trivial.

Are you just moving some blocks up or down, not left or right?

If it's only up/down, you don't technically need to move anything. Remove the connection between what would have been the moved & unmoved groups, and create diagonal connections from those previously-connected blocks to whatever you want to add.

Are you just moving some blocks up or down, not left or right?

If it's only up/down, you don't technically need to move anything. Remove the connection between what would have been the moved & unmoved groups, and create diagonal connections from those previously-connected blocks to whatever you want to add.
If I get what you mean, that sounds like much more of a mess than moving half the block up and reconnecting them with a send-receive pair.

The thing I didn't realize was that connecting the first block in a line to the last one connects them all in series. That one trick makes this trivial, thanks to @tysonlt then @chris for that.

dG1kBzP.png

This is how i run my presets and I have it saved as a template with everything but an amp and cab for ease

Screen-Shot-2020-01-06-at-6-46-17-PM.png

I have a number of one-row presets that I'd like to expand to two rows or more. To do that, you have to move some of the blocks up or down, than add send and return blocks to connect them.

The awkward part is that moving half the blocks up or down disconnects them. Is there a way to do that that doesn't require reconnecting each moved block?

I'm interested in techniques both for the front panel and Axe-Edit.

This has always been a source of frustration for me. Even inserting a block into a row when it doesn't require wrapping around to another row takes enough steps that it interrupts my workflow. I think it should work like this:

In addition, for the simple case where you're working with a single row and you drag a block to be inserted and there isn't enough room for an additional column, it would be a big help if AxeEdit automatically put in the send/return and wrapped to another row automatically.

This has always been a source of frustration for me. Even inserting a block into a row when it doesn't require wrapping around to another row takes enough steps that it interrupts my workflow. I think it should work like this:

In addition, for the simple case where you're working with a single row and you drag a block to be inserted and there isn't enough room for an additional column, it would be a big help if AxeEdit automatically put in the send/return and wrapped to another row automatically.

What row would it use? What if it chose the row you didn’t want?

what if I was trying to replace a block but it auto added send and return... then I’d have to delete all of that and move things back.

many operations can seem “obvious” to our minds but it’s because we know what result we want. a computer wouldn’t know that as we do things step by step. one auto-process here is a wrong thing there. that’s why it works the way it does, and we have to just move things where we want as we go. the system can’t know what our final intent is.

What row would it use? What if it chose the row you didn’t want?

The next row down. If you want to use a different row, then simply grab the handle for the newly created row and move it. Or simply do the wraparound manually if you want something unusual.

If you want to start coming up with "what if" edge cases, go ahead, but they are just that: edge cases :). For 99% of the time, this would be a useful improvement.

Back
Top Bottom