Best way to dial in Proximity in Cab block?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
The proximity feature adds a lot of low end to my CLR's, however even with low settings like 1.30 it kills the mids and adds too much mud for lack of a better term.

Do you use it and if so what are your settings?

@unix-guy -guy is the feature for drop C tunings or?
Essentially, it's just a means to mimic the proximity of the mic to the cab... Which effects the low end response (as it gets closer).

There are various other ways to get more low end and I personally find I'm usually lowering the bass in the Amp block, so I don't need to do that.

Additionally, these days most of the IR producers are baking in all the mic technique.

@chris initially it added a low end thump wow factor to my CLR, then after a few days I started to realized it took away a good amount of clarity. I was just checking if there was a way to dial it in better.

I would say it depends on the ir’s you’re using, whether it already has enough bass (proximity) or lacks it, then you can add some back using the proximity parameter. It technically mimics a cab with a closer mic, so there is no rule really

@chris initially it added a low end thump wow factor to my CLR, then after a few days I started to realized it took away a good amount of clarity. I was just checking if there was a way to dial it in better.
it only adds bass, it shouldn't "take away clarity" unless you've added too much. just back it off even more.

Try adding Dynamic Depth for more thump. This allows you to turn down the bass in the BMT controls. This was a tip that Cliff posted that I have used a lot with good success.

I use it to take away some of the harshness of high gain presets. If aI remember correctly I set it around 2-2.50 but it really depends of your IR.

I use it on all of my presets which are typically edge of breakup to a mid-high gain crunch.

I've found setting the frequency @ 55 Hz and the proximity @ 5.00 adds a fullness I prefer to the overall tone. Frequencies above 65 Hz seem to be too boomy/muddy for my taste. Much different to my ears than a bass control.

It doesn't make sense to me but it seems to retain a lot of the overall fullness even if the Low Cut or a high pass filter is set or applied above the 55 Hz frequency, i.e. 100 Hz.

I used it all the time for the first year or so of my AX8 experience. But for me, there was no secret juice. I just turned knobs till it sounded right in the patch I was using.

I've since converted to the "don't use it" crowd. I like feel like my tone without it is more natural. I'm always open to fiddling with it. But for the most part, I just turn it off.

I stopped using it due to better FW and now just use bass and depth, especially with recent Ares beta for axe-fx II.

If you’re going to use it, I’d recommend dialing with a subwoofer to get full picture of what it’s adding.

Back
Top Bottom