Best way to crossfade one grid row to another?

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
I’m trying to setup a preset that cross fades from my Marshall setup to my fender setup using an exp pedal. Currently I have each amp/cab setup on their own row, then the rows feed into a mixer block that goes to an output block. It kind of works but the curve of the modifiers is not very customizable. The problem is the cross fade area on the exp pedal takes up too much sweep range. I’d like it to sweep very quickly close to middle position of the exp pedal. There’s is too much clean sound in my dirty patch and vice versa currently. Anyway looking for ideas. Thx!

I don’t understand. Do you want most of the crossfade action to start at the beginning or the end of your sweep instead of the middle of the sweep? I don’t understand how the middle of the sweep can have too much clean and too much distorted signal at the same time.

So basically, you would like log taper on one and anti-log taper on the other. So that the curve slopes are gentle at the ends and sharp in the middle yes?

I don’t understand how the middle of the sweep can have too much clean and too much distorted signal at the same time.
probably because at the middle, they have the SAME amount of clean vs dirty - think of it like a 50% mix of each. but that makes sense - the middle of the crossfade would have exactly the same amount of each.

it sounds like you want the middle of the pedal to be mostly one sound and not the other, but that's what the ends of the pedal do.

Turn the SCALE up for both modifiers.
Use OFFSET to finely move the transitions forward or back with respect to pedal position.
Something like this worked for me just now (shown superimposed)

xfade.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 6
Turn the SCALE up for both modifiers.
Use OFFSET to finely move the transitions forward or back with respect to pedal position.
Something like this worked for me just now (shown superimposed)

View attachment 47239
This looks like what I’m after. I’m trying to do a very quick transition so there is no change until the sweep gets close to middle travel, then changes quickly

This looks like what I’m after. I’m trying to do a very quick transition so there is no change until the sweep gets close to middle travel, then changes quickly
You could just stomp your expression pedal like it was a footswitch. It takes about a tenth of a second to make the transition.

My secndary objective is to make the far toe and far heel pull in other fx, this is why I'd like the clean to dirt transitions to be quick. So toe all the way up is lead boost with delay, down a bit is rhythm, a bit more is clean, then heel full down is clean with fx

good luck. i couldn't depend on getting a pedal into particular ranges for particular sounds. that's why Scenes with distinct switches is so appealing.

My secndary objective is to make the far toe and far heel pull in other fx, this is why I'd like the clean to dirt transitions to be quick. So toe all the way up is lead boost with delay, down a bit is rhythm, a bit more is clean, then heel full down is clean with fx
Ah, it all makes sense now.

Search the forum for @clarky's threads on morphing. Excellent educational material.

Do you also want a quick transition for effects near heel/toe?

Try setting modifier start/mid/end to 0/0/60, scale 10, offset -100, slope 0. That's the steepest possible 0-100% change at toe-down. For heel-down use start/mid/end 60/0/0, scale 10, offset -100, slope 100.

Thx guys, if I can get this working I’m going to play a show with just one exp pedal. I can’t find my power supply for the mfc and I don’t want to buy a midi cable and mess with it so this is my challenge for the moment.

Sounds like a great way to change sounds. I am not coordinated enough to do a setup like that.

I've had a three function exp pedal going before. It does feel a little awkward at first but after half a night it is second nature. Much easier then having to locate different buttons imo

I've had a three function exp pedal going before. It does feel a little awkward at first but after half a night it is second nature. Much easier then having to locate different buttons imo
I agree. I have some short leads that are very tough if you have to go between 2 buttons. I recently bought a RJM mastermind LT. It has a feature called 2nd press where you can use a single button to toggle between 2 scenes. I wish Fractal would implement that in the AXE3. But for know the LT works great.

I recently bought a RJM mastermind LT. It has a feature called 2nd press where you can use a single button to toggle between 2 scenes. I wish Fractal would implement that in the AXE3. But for know the LT works great.
On the Fractal FC’s, you can set up a footswitch to toggle between any two scenes.

Do you end up doing this with two volume blocks, or a mixer block with modifiers on two channels?

I kind of wish the Mixer block had a crossfader mode, where you select two rows or inputs like on the multiplexer block and there's just one mapping you need to do for the crossfade. Maybe there's another way to do this?
A modifier on the level of the last effect in a parallel effect chain works a lot of the time, but it doesn't allow you to reduce the dry level for those cases where that's needed...

Back
Top Bottom