Best way to create a solo boost... go!

I use the output block a at 0, b at 3db and c at 6db. Then I have adjustments when using a single coil or humbucker.

Why are you guys using a null Filter block over a Vol/Pan block set to +3dB for example?
Most likely because there are 4 filter blocks otherwise unused. And you can low cut or do other EQ things with it. If it has the same result, you can use whichever makes more sense to you. cpu of both are about the same.

How about using the level control in the output block and making a scene with the boost you need?
This is what I've started doing. It doesn't consume a block, and works with whatever scene is designated as the "solo" and doesn't involve messing with the output level itself or that of any other block.

See page 6 in the Blocks manual and page 53 in the FM3 manual.

It depends on whether we're talking about a gain boost or a level (volume) boost.

Well, actually... I guess it doesn't. I do either of those with scenes. Scene controller for Input Gain on the Amp Block for a gain boost, and Scene Levels for the overall volume boost. I just bump the lead scene up by like 2-3db.

I have an expression pedal attached to :
  • drive block turning on the Micro Boost boosting Amp block ,
  • volume block -4 to 0 DB , on the grid after my Cab , Level boost
  • input level delay / reverb blocks going from 0-100, both parallel....

This gives me the smoothest way to go from rhythm to lead ! Applies to all the scenes......depending on the song that same Expr pedal turns on / off other effects needed or not needed between rhythm - lead

PEQ last block in the chain. Set it to desired boost level and assign a control switch to it. Then dampen the engage time so it acts like a fade in and fade out. Sounds a lot more natural to me like that.
This looks great. Need to understand how to set up that fade. Great idea!

Scene volumes in the output tab works best for me. I have a separate scene for solos that i boost the slider for. Doesnt eat up any CPU for addition blocks

This, which unfortunately scene output level is not.

It should be a block you can place anywhere on the grid, with the same features as the one currently hard wired to the output.
I don’t want it as a separate block when there are other built-in ways to do it.

Using the scene levels in the Out block:
  • Makes it easy to adjust and see which scenes are set to boost and compare/visualize their differences.
  • It works automatically with the Level Presets tool for Out 1.
  • Has no additional CPU cost and doesn’t use any additional grid space because we have to have an Out block.
  • Makes it easy to have different boost levels in multiple Out blocks for monitoring vs. FOH on an FM3 vs. whatever else if using an AF3, with the previous advantages.
The disadvantages would be in a kitchen-sink preset where each scene has to be able to be boosted at any time, but I don’t use presets like that. Also, when changing scene order or adding/removing scenes the sliders need to be adjusted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom