Best way to connect

jmess

This is, I am sure a very noobie/stupid question, so I apologize in advance. When I am just playing around, I plug the guitar into the FM3 and the XLR outs are connected to my Tannoy Studio Monitors. If want to record, I USB into my MAC and then I tell Logic Pro that the FM3 is my audio interface. So I can record tracks and such. Should I be better off using something like a Scarlett 8i6 or a USB mixer where the monitors are connected to the Mixer and the FM out is coming into the mixer or the Scarlet and then going into the MAC that way? When I play along with an audio file in Logic that is on the MAC, the volumes are super hard to sort out and the line in tends to be way too hot. I know I am not approaching something correctly, so just trying to get the best possible setup. Thanks for any input!

This is, I am sure a very noobie/stupid question, so I apologize in advance. When I am just playing around, I plug the guitar into the FM3 and the XLR outs are connected to my Tannoy Studio Monitors. If want to record, I USB into my MAC and then I tell Logic Pro that the FM3 is my audio interface. So I can record tracks and such. Should I be better off using something like a Scarlett 8i6 or a USB mixer where the monitors are connected to the Mixer and the FM out is coming into the mixer or the Scarlet and then going into the MAC that way? When I play along with an audio file in Logic that is on the MAC, the volumes are super hard to sort out and the line in tends to be way too hot. I know I am not approaching something correctly, so just trying to get the best possible setup. Thanks for any input!
the first thing you described is correct.

use the USB level control in the Setup menu of the FM3 (also in FM3-Edit) to adjust the volume coming from your computer.

You don’t necessarily need a more elaborate setup, but depending on your needs, you might want to add to your rig. You’ll find a guide here to help you find the best setup for you:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

the first thing you described is correct.

use the USB level control in the Setup menu of the FM3 (also in FM3-Edit) to adjust the volume coming from your computer.
Since we are on the subject…I’ve got my fm3 always connected to my Dell to use Edit. When I go to the computer and choice fractal shouldn’t the fm3 go thru my computer to my Kali’s? Am I not choosing something right?

Since we are on the subject…I’ve got my fm3 always connected to my Dell to use Edit. When I go to the computer and choice fractal shouldn’t the fm3 go thru my computer to my Kali’s? Am I not choosing something right?
no, the FM3 does not go through the computer directly to monitors connected to the computer. USB audio doesn’t work like that usually.

Back
Top Bottom