Best way to connect the Axe to a real amp

Hi,

I own a Axe Fx Ultra and wanted to know if the best way to connect it to my Vox AC30 amp is the traditional front in and rear out or through the Fx Send/return...

Thanks

Run it the way it sounds best to your ears. I used to run my Ultra direct into the clean channel of my combo amp…..always sounded great. You should also experiment with 4CM if your amp has an effects loop. Trust your ears.

Thank you for your help, but my AC30 is a vintage 60's model, so no fx loop. It sounds to me that the Axe might be thinning out the sound a bit, which shouldn't happen given its high quality digital io's. Is there any other way to connect it, other than the way I'm doing it?

Thanks!

I noticed a similar thing. I must be doing something wrong. Ultra plugged into front input of Twin Reverb. Using this configuration for fx only. The sound is thinner than when guitar is plugged directly to the amp.
I have the Axe input 1 set at 10 o'clock and the output set to max.

I notice with twin reverbs and ac30's modelers tend to sound harsh more often than not. I would maybe consider getting a power amp/cab combo, or something to that extent.

My amp is a '65 Vox Ac30 Topboost, and it's the most important part of my sound. I can't NOT play with it. I have to make the Axe sound great with it. I can't use the 4-cable method because there is no way to bypass the preamp section of a vintage AC30 (no fx send and return). If I'm using a certain patch that doesn't have any amp or cab simms, then the Axe is not doing any preamp work, right? In fact, if I plug the guitar into a clean patch of the Axe, my tone should be exactly the same as if I had the guitar plugged direct to the amp. And this is what I'm not getting. Maybe I have some I/O setting done wrong?

Really need some help!

thanks

Connect guitar to Ultra's front input.
Connect Ultra's Out 1 jack to Vox input.

Check the settings in I/O:
- set the guitar's input level to "tickle the red"
- Input 1 source = Front.
- Input 1 Mode = Left.
- set Output 1 to one of the mono modes. Sum L+R is okay but make sure you prevent phase cancellation.

Create a preset with just shunts.

Use Output 1 Level on the front panel to set the correct output level.
Try to reach unity gain = signal level without the Ultra is the same with the Ultra inbetween.

Now when you start creating presets, first disable Power Amp Simulation and Cab Simulation in Global.

Thanks for the help! I will try that! There's just one preset that I use an amp sim because I really like the sound of it. If I turn off amp sim in the Global settings, I will lose that, right? But is there a difference between disabling amp sim and cab sim in global and doing it per patch?

Thanks

You can keep Amp Simulation enabled in that case.

Disabling global Cab Simulation is handy because it will give you more CPU to play with.

Connect guitar to Ultra's front input.
Connect Ultra's Out 1 jack to Vox input.

Check the settings in I/O:
  • set the guitar's input level to "tickle the red"
  • Input 1 source = Front.
  • Input 1 Mode = Left.
  • set Output 1 to one of the mono modes. Sum L+R is okay but make sure you prevent phase cancellation.

Create a preset with just shunts.

Use Output 1 Level on the front panel to set the correct output level.
Try to reach unity gain = signal level without the Ultra is the same with the Ultra inbetween.

Now when you start creating presets, first disable Power Amp Simulation and Cab Simulation in Global.
Old thread I know . Would all of the above apply to connecting to AXE FX 11 or is there anything else to consider ?

Thanks

Old thread I know . Would all of the above apply to connecting to AXE FX 11 or is there anything else to consider ?

Thanks

No. Same setup.
I used to run mine direct to an AC30 and a Tweed Twin simultaneously . Sounded great.

I'm thinking to try plugging my Axe fx 2 output to my little ac4tv. but I am worried about over driving its" preamp and burning the thing. Would I be better off using the headphone jack out or just not doing it at all? I just wan't to use the Axe Fx reverb and delay with the little thing but it's only a 4 watt amp with built in attenuator so you can switch to a quarter of an watt or 1 watt or 4 watt.

I'm thinking to try plugging my Axe fx 2 output to my little ac4tv.

I had an AC4TV and used it with my Axe-Fx all the time...no issues at all. I even installed an L-Pad on the back, so I could attenuate the 1 W setting even further. I liked the tone of the AC4TV so much, that I upgraded to the AC4C1 and installed a power scaling circuit in it, which allows me to keep the level of the amp down, with the MV cranked to 10. Sounds absolutely fantastic with my Axe-Fx II and AX8 plugged directly into the input.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/a-vox-just-isn’t-a-vox.151615/

Back
Top Bottom