Best way to connect IEM and FRFR speakers (both at the same time)

chrisni

Currently on the wait list for the FM3 and I am wondering whats the best way to connect IEM and FRFR speakers at the same time, both have XLR inputs. I am a bedroom only player and most of the times I want to play at room volume. Sometimes I need to play completely quiet though.

So I want to have the IEM system (XLR, Stereo) connected at all time and also the FRFR speaker(s) connected at all time. I just want to power on the output that I want to use.

I came up with these ways:

1. Use OUT 1 (XLR) from FM3 to one device and OUT 2 (1/4") with an adapter to the other. So OUT 2 gotta be converted from unbalanced to balanced
  2. Use a XLR Splitter (like IMG Stageline LSP-102) to use OUT 1 into the splitter and then connect IEM and FRFR speakers from the splitter outputs
  3. Some FRFR cabs have XLR output (normally for connecting another speaker). The manual of such devices don't say if the output is always on (passive) or only active, when I power on the speaker (active).
Whats the best way (simplicity, low cost, ease of use) to connect IEM and FRFR speakers at the same time with the FM3?

(originally posted on the axefx subreddit on reddit)

I came up with these ways:

1. Use OUT 1 (XLR) from FM3 to one device and OUT 2 (1/4") with an adapter to the other. So OUT 2 gotta be converted from unbalanced to balanced
  2. Use a XLR Splitter (like IMG Stageline LSP-102) to use OUT 1 into the splitter and then connect IEM and FRFR speakers from the splitter outputs
  3. Some FRFR cabs have XLR output (normally for connecting another speaker). The manual of such devices don't say if the output is always on (passive) or only active, when I power on the speaker (active).
Whats the best way (simplicity, low cost, ease of use) to connect IEM and FRFR speakers at the same time with the FM3?
Go with option 1. You get independent volume knobs for your monitors and IEMs. It doesn't get any easier than that. Splitters are a hassle, and so is daisy-chaining your IEMs to your speakers. Both of those things require extra cabling.

Go with option 1. You get independent volume knobs for your monitors and IEMs. It doesn't get any easier than that. Splitters are a hassle, and so is daisy-chaining your IEMs to your speakers. Both of those things require extra cabling.
Thanks for the quick answer. My IEM has its own volume knobs and the speakers I plan on going with (Headrush FRFR-108) do also.
Why are splitters a hassle?

Any recommendations for the unbalanced to balanced converter (and 1.4" to XLR)? So far I only found this one: Morley Line Level Shifter

Why are splitters a hassle?
  • An extra piece of gear you need to put somewhere;
  • An extra pair of cables;
  • You have to reach over to two pieces of gear when you want to change their levels.

Any recommendations for the unbalanced to balanced converter...?
Yes. Ignore it. :) In your application, you won't hear a difference, other than a slight volume drop — and you'll still have enough volume to blow the doors off the bedroom.

...(and 1.4" to XLR)?
Get a couple of 1/4-inch to XLR cables.

So far I only found this one: Morley Line Level Shifter
You don't need a line level shifter. And even if you did, the FM3 can handle that by itself.

Oh, and by the way — the Headrush uses combo connectors. You can plug a 1/4" cable straight in. ;)

I would use Out 1 XLR out to the FRFR and Out 2 with an adapter to the IEM since the transmitter would ideally be on your board or at least closer to the FM3 than the FRFRs are, insomuch as noise and long cable runs are concerned.

Great catch with the combo connectors on the headrush. Did not know that something like that exists. Then I will use those with OUT2 I guess and the IEM with OUT1.

Cable length shouldn't be an issue. I'll go wireless into my front pedals, into FM3, 1m cable to IEM and about 1-2m cable to FRFR. Maybe I can go even shorter on the IEM cable.

Cable length shouldn't be an issue. I'll go wireless into my front pedals, into FM3, 1m cable to IEM and about 1-2m cable to FRFR. Maybe I can go even shorter on the IEM cable.
Yeah, don’t sweat the cable length. For line-Level signals, 50 feet is still a short run.

Back
Top Bottom