Best way to connect a Boss SE70 to Axe Fx

Hi

I just bought a Boss SE70 used (from 1992) off the bay. It was something that I couldn't resist as I use to be a big Boss fan in the 80's. The unit is made in Japan and has all the classic Boss stomps in it plus analogue distortion. It is a half rack unit with two inputs and outputs on the back. It also has a -20db/+4db input level switch on the back.

I want to connect it to the Axe Fx and put it in the signal chain of say a JC120 or one of the clean Fender amps.

What would be the best way to connect it and what cables would go where?

Thanks ahead for any responses.

Hi

I just bought a Boss SE70 used (from 1992) off the bay. It was something that I couldn't resist as I use to be a big Boss fan in the 80's. The unit is made in Japan and has all the classic Boss stomps in it plus analogue distortion. It is a half rack unit with two inputs and outputs on the back. It also has a -20db/+4db input level switch on the back.

I want to connect it to the Axe Fx and put it in the signal chain of say a JC120 or one of the clean Fender amps.

What would be the best way to connect it and what cables would go where?

Thanks ahead for any responses.

use the output 2 to go inside the se70 and the input 2 to go from se output back into the axe2; then insert the fxloop block into the grid and place it wherever you want.

The SE-70 was a great little unit. It was first ever rack process I owned and I've still got it to this day. Picked it up new in 1996 I think. As angelworm said, output 2 into L/R in's on the SE-70, L/R outs of the SE-70 back into the Axe FX input 2 - use the FX Loop block to insert it into your cain where ever you like.

One thing I found about my one was the 48KHz programs on used to act up in certain bars I'd play in. Sort interferance thing would happen. The guitar programs work at 32KHz and they always seemed fine.

The SE-70 was my first foray towards the Axe-FX II - long before it was around - I sold all my pedals to try this new thing called midi, and I never looked back. After using the SE-70 for years(in the fx loop of fender and Marshall amps), i moved up to the newer vf-1, and then used 2 vf-1's with a mesa tri-axis ( i had one for all pre-fx, and one for all fx loop fx). After that, i bought a used axe fx standard,a nd the a new axe fx ii, and never looked back. I still have all of my se-70's and vf-1's.

Thanks guys. I set it up as you told me and it sounds cool. Yup its got all those Boss signature sounds alright. It's like a nostalgia trip for sure. Pure Japanese clarity and warmth. One problem though! Maybe one of you can help me?

When I place the FX loop after the amp and cab in the chain the Boss SE70 distorts. I can't seem to fix this by changing the input/output levels from the unit. However when I put it in front of the amp and cab it's clean and lush. However because of putting it in the front I can no longer get stereo sounds as the amp sums the left and right signals. Of course when I put the fx loop after the amp and cab the stereo works fine but I get the dreaded distortion.

Anything I'm doing wrong or that you can suggest?

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom