Best way for Stereo FOH and real guitar cab on stage.

andyp13

Power User
How could I do this -
I would like to go direct to FOH in stereo and I would like to use a real guitar cab on stage - so obviously no cab block for that output, how would I do this.
I also need an output to feed my vocal effects.
I know I will need to go output 1&2 XLR's out to L&R FHO (stereo)
Output 3 to matrix amp - guitar cab.
Output 4 to the vocal unit
How would I 'wire' this up in the Axe FX?

Andy - I believe this is how you would do it. Can you vocal fx unit 'read' your guitar signal with distortion and effects on it?

Good evening Andy - each preset must have a cab block at the output section of the grid. This will produce an cab simulation at all out 1s. Prior to the cab block in the preset, T off to a fx loop block. Make sure the fx loop does not have a connection to the main output at the end of grid-so have it several blocks before the cab if it helps, but on another row . this will send a raw signal to out 2 send.

Then connect up as i show in the photo

Attachments

• IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 48
I think he wants a clean unprocessed signal sent (from an Output 2 channel which he's calling Output 4 in OP) for chord detection.

Shunt clean guitar sound from input to FXL. Add connection from guitar signal chain (pre-cab block) to FXL. Balance the two rows oppositely in FXL.

image.jpeg Ideally I want stereo out to go to FOH (outputs 1)so my cab block can't be at the end of the chain - I put it just after my Amp and then the stereo Chorus after etc.
I would like to have my guitar cab connected with the effects (but no cab block) and this would need to go out of one of the outputs 2 mono)
The other to Vox fx (no effects if possible).

I can easily do this using an FRFR as I just need to connect the matrix amp to one of the Jack outs below the XLR's this works well with my Soul/funk band, but with my blues trio the normal guitar cab is needed as it just sounds much better on stage (or maybe what I'm more used to).
Something like this

The FxLoop block is like a stereo 4-channel mixer. There are 4 stereo inputs (rows 1 through 4), and 1 stereo output (the Axe-Fx Output #2 left and right).

Where it reads 'Level 1' and 'Pan 1'.......It should read 'Level Row 1' and 'Pan Row 1'? And maybe be orientated top to bottom (like the rows of the grid) instead of left to right?

Each 'Level' and 'Pan' pair is for the row that is feeding the FxLoop block. (if connected)
  1. 'Level 1' and 'Pan' 1 controls the signal from row 1 of the grid, at the point where it is connected to the FxLoop.
  2. 'Level 2' and 'Pan' 2 controls the signal from row 2 of the grid, at the point where it is connected to the FxLoop.
  3. 'Level 3' and 'Pan' 3 controls the signal from row 3 of the grid, at the point where it is connected to the FxLoop.
  4. 'Level 4' and 'Pan' 4 controls the signal from row 4 of the grid, at the point where it is connected to the FxLoop.
The 'Pan' parameters determine where in the stereo output (the Axe-Fx Output #2 left and right). they end up.

So, Row #2, the dry guitar path, is panned to the left channel of 'FxLoop/Output #2'
And, Row #3, the processed path (pre-Cab block) is panned right channel of 'FxLoop/Output #2'

Last edited:
The FxLoop block is like a stereo 4-channel mixer. There are 4 stereo inputs (rows 1 through 4), and 1 stereo output (the Axe-Fx Output #2 left and right).

Where it reads 'Level 1' and 'Pan 1'.......It should read 'Level Row 1' and 'Pan Row 1'? And maybe be orientated top to bottom (like the rows of the grid) instead of left to right?

Each 'Level' and 'Pan' pair is for the row that is feeding the FxLoop block. (if connected)
  1. 'Level 1' and 'Pan' 1 controls the signal from row 1 of the grid, at the point where it is connected to the FxLoop.
  2. 'Level 2' and 'Pan' 2 controls the signal from row 2 of the grid, at the point where it is connected to the FxLoop.
  3. 'Level 3' and 'Pan' 3 controls the signal from row 3 of the grid, at the point where it is connected to the FxLoop.
  4. 'Level 4' and 'Pan' 4 controls the signal from row 4 of the grid, at the point where it is connected to the FxLoop.
The 'Pan' parameters determine where in the stereo output (the Axe-Fx Output #2 left and right). they end up.

So, Row #2, the dry guitar path, is panned to the left channel of 'FxLoop/Output #2'
And, Row #3, the processed path (pre-Cab block) is panned right channel of 'FxLoop/Output #2'

Wow, yes I get it now (though I would not have figured this out without your help.... I am now going to try this out.
Thanks for taking the time to do the diagrams and the detailed explanation Moke you are a true gent :)

This is profoundly helpful info... @Moke , nicely done! This preset is going into my Templates folder immediately....I bet lots of us never truly grokked the power of using the FXL with rows before seeing that diagram and explanation.....I nominate his post for Wikidom, @yek , and @andyp13 , if you haven't yet bought any of Mokes presets yet, now may be a good time.........:cool:

Wow, yes I get it now (though I would not have figured this out without your help.... I am now going to try this out.
Thanks for taking the time to do the diagrams and the detailed explanation Moke you are a true gent :)
No sweat @andyp13 ..... Sometimes it's easier to see the answer in color, than to just read it.

I really don't use the FxLoop block, so I'm not sure how the Pan control handles the incoming stereo signal. If it sums the left and right when hard panned, or isolates the left or right when hard panned?

If it is summing, then be aware of phase-cancellation/comb-filtering that happens when certain stereo time-based effects are summed to mono. The 80's, Triangle, and Warm Stereo Chorus models, the 2290 w/Mod and Ambient Stereo Delay models, and the Classic Enhancer model, are a few to be aware of.

It works really well Moke and I am also able to attenuate the signal going into the vocal unit and slightly increase the signal going to the Amp and 'real' cab.
I find that I always need to turn the cab block down below 0db to keep the Axe from clipping .... But it all works like a charm, once again a massive thank you :)

It works really well Moke and I am also able to attenuate the signal going into the vocal unit and slightly increase the signal going to the Amp and 'real' cab.
I find that I always need to turn the cab block down below 0db to keep the Axe from clipping .... But it all works like a charm, once again a massive thank you :)
You're welcome @andyp13.

btw..... It's best if you leave the Cab block at '0'dB and lower the 'Level' parameter in the Amp block instead. Go to the horizontal VU meter page in the 'Utility' menu. From there you can adjust the 'Level' of Amp 1 and 2 while observing the VU meter. Set the Amp Level so that you are around the '0'dB line for a rhythm tone. That leaves you headroom for solo boosts. You can also see the 'actual' output levels of Output 1 and 2. This helps you note and repeat output settings once you get them sorted.

Back
Top Bottom