Best USB cable for FM3?

Valgua

Inspired
Hi!

I have read a few posts of people breaking their USB B connector on the FM3. The culprit seems to be the USB cable provided by G66. As I should get my device quite soon, I would like your advice for a good reliable USB cable that will not give me problems.

Thanks!

If you are breaking a usb cable, you are doing it wrong. I use cheap usb cables all the time for a variety of devices and have never had any failures, let alone a connector breaking.

Any cable should do the job really.

I’m not breaking the cable. I have read of a few people who had to send their FM3 back because the USB B plug (the female) in the device broke when they removed the cable. Many think that it’s due to the silver usb cable provided by G66. I just wanted to avoid any issues by buying a good quality cable.

I have a few different USB cables. Only one fits fairly snug on the FM3. The others wiggle quite a bit.
Weird. Manufacturing tolerances?

From what I remember, the silver cable is no longer provided by G66. For example, I got a black one, which seems to be different.

Good to know!

Yes, they stopped supplying the silver ones and supply a black one, as mentioned above.

I have put a little male to female extender cable on mine; the female end is velcroed and tie wrapped to the pedal board and avoids plugging in and out of the socket on the unit itself. Not my idea, I read about it on the forum somewhere. I don't have any problem with the socket but this seemed like a good idea as a preventive measure.

IMG_0223.JPG

I’m not breaking the cable. I have read of a few people who had to send their FM3 back because the USB B plug (the female) in the device broke when they removed the cable. Many think that it’s due to the silver usb cable provided by G66. I just wanted to avoid any issues by buying a good quality cable.
There are absolutely certain USB-B cables that dont fit properly, sadly no way to tell until you try AFAIK....I am personally not a fan of the USB B input on any musical gear, but it is it what is...Ive had to service three different pieces of gear (FM3, Linnstrument , and Moog Matriarch) over recent years for replacement.

Yes, they stopped supplying the silver ones and supply a black one, as mentioned above.

I have put a little male to female extender cable on mine; the female end is velcroed and tie wrapped to the pedal board and avoids plugging in and out of the socket on the unit itself. Not my idea, I read about it on the forum somewhere. I don't have any problem with the socket but this seemed like a good idea as a preventive measure.

View attachment 78522
Thats a great solution! Do you know the brand of the extension you are using?

Back
Top Bottom