Best to buy?

Veloso1978

Inspired
Hi everyone,
I need some help and opinions.
What the best to buy?
I play in a covers band and play a lot instrumental guitar... Like Joe Satriani and Martin Miller and others.
Austin Buddy tone Pack or Fremen Pack... or any better... Thanks to everyone

I've know both of these guys for what turns out to be a pretty long time now. They both have golden ears and either is going to be a good buy. So here's my attempt at an objective take on your question...

@austinbuddy pack is focused on seminal amp tones. So if you want a prototypical amp sound as a base to start with, it's a nice pack.

@fremen's pack is more focused on performance-specific tones. A bit more, at least.

And then there's @Moke's stuff which is also worth considering and tends to be even more tone-for-a-specific-song-or-artist focused.

All three of these guys make great tones. I think you'd be happy with any of them. Maybe I'd say consider Fremen or Moke's work if you want artist- or song-specific tones.

I've know both of these guys for what turns out to be a pretty long time now. They both have golden ears and either is going to be a good buy. So here's my attempt at an objective take on your question...

@austinbuddy pack is focused on seminal amp tones. So if you want a prototypical amp sound as a base to start with, it's a nice pack.

@fremen's pack is more focused on performance-specific tones. A bit more, at least.

And then there's @Moke's stuff which is also worth considering and tends to be even more tone-for-a-specific-song-or-artist focused.

All three of these guys make great tones. I think you'd be happy with any of them. Maybe I'd say consider Fremen or Moke's work if you want artist- or song-specific tones.
Yes... I’m inclinated to Fremen Pack...4 now.

If you are going for a very specific artist recreated sound, then Fremen or Moke presets are where you want to look (like a Satriani type preset).

Just do understand that you might have to tweak the final preset a little to compensate for how your play/hands hit the strings, guitar pickup and string types, and the playback system you use.

Both of those gentlemen have my respect, admiration and friendship - they are very good at this. Contact them!

Hi Veloso,

The Austinbuddy pack is AWSOME. Mokes presets are also.

Thanks
Pauly

Hi everyone,
I need some help and opinions.
What the best to buy?
I play in a covers band and play a lot instrumental guitar... Like Joe Satriani and Martin Miller and others.
Austin Buddy tone Pack or Fremen Pack... or any better... Thanks to everyone

If you are going for a very specific artist recreated sound, then Fremen or Moke presets are where you want to look (like a Satriani type preset).

Just do understand that you might have to tweak the final preset a little to compensate for how your play/hands hit the strings, guitar pickup and string types, and the playback system you use.

Both of those gentlemen have my respect, admiration and friendship - they are very good at this. Contact them!
I think I will buy the firemen and yours(Austin Buddy)... Need to twick my Axe Fx 2 XL Plus from preset 1 to the end... and got good presets to my lives sessions and studio. Thanks a lot one more time... Greetings from your Buddy Veloso from Portugal.
Cheers

Mokes is the 'go to' if your doing cover. If your all over the map then fremens stuff. If you want to 'nail an amp', Austin.
This is pretty succinct and mostly apt. Fremen’s excellent presets cover a lot of ground and are overall more modern than vintage focused, so if that is what you mean by “all over the map” then I would applaud this description - nicely done!

Last edited:
This is pretty succinct and mostly apt. Fremen’s excellent presets cover a lot of ground and are overall more modern than vintage focused, so if that is what you mean by “all over the map” then I would applaud this description - nicely done!

(PS — when people contact me looking for a specific preset cover of a song, I generally refer them to Moke).

Thanks Buddy, and I concur ! What's great is that we all are complementary (hoping it's the right word? I'm thinking in French here) to each other. I'm also more into metal/prog-metal. For covers, besides my Pink Floyd tribute project, I do have a few specific presets, but not that much. Next year, however, as I just got a 7 strings, I intend on doing a "djent" (modern prog metal) pack, but also much more song specific presets, for bands like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree and the like. But it will be mostly for the Axe-Fx III. My next pack, Axe-Fx III version of my Pink Floyd presets, is almost ready, I just want to test the expression pedal settings with a midi pedalboard. I received Voes MC-10 today so I may be able to release it very soon

It’s already been mentioned a lot, but I’ll echo it one more time. The Naked Amp Pack by @austinbuddy is mandetory IMHO. It is like have every single amp that is available in the Fractal Library, ready to go at your fingertips, ready to play and tweak to your liking. Like has been said, the names mentioned are great for song/artist ready tones.

As I was in your position not long ago, I thought I would add a couple that I have grown to love, by testing the waters myself.

@Guitarjon created a library of just about every Metallica tone ever, many are great jump off points to create your own unique heavy tones.

@Choptones have really great presets for the Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ that I love, super heavy, but great for rock AND metal.

@SilentUnderground has many artist specific packs that I have purchased like Slayer,Metallica,Megadeth,Lamb Of God,Pantera,Alice in Chains, and many more. Went a bit crazy on Black Friday! Check out their Preset A Day section it’s great.

@stltones are on the pricier side but they have been used on many major label productions for major bands, you can see a list on their site. These are very polished high end presets for downtuned Metal, Rock, pop, and everything in between. Lots of samples available on the site.

Last but not least one of my newest favorites for metal presets...
@SinMix , his presets of the EVH 5150 III, Mesa Boogie Mark IIC++,JCM 800, ENGL Savage, and many more, are absolutely bone crushing, solid and brutal tones.

I plan on buying the @fremen metal pack tonight to try them out because I love what I hear. Alas, your ears will know what they love, most of these guys have videos on YouTube showcasing their presets and you’ll know which ones are for you.

Good luck and happy hunting! It can be super addicting :))

Back
Top Bottom