Best Studio Monitors to use with Axe Fx?

Monitors that are as uncolored as possible are your best bet. The less coloration, the better your sounds will translate onto other systems. It's also a good idea to be able to check on a couple of sources, like monitors and studio/reference headphones. I'm using Focal Twin 6 Be speakers and Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones. I remember a while ago Matt posting that they were using the Blue MoFis at Fractal Headquarters. (I actually bought some MoFis and disliked them so much I returned them at my own expense.) Of course I'm talking about use in recording situations. For live performance stuff, I have no idea.

Thanks for your opinion. I was thinking monitors that would best fit bedroom playing as well as recording too, & as far as headphones go, what do you think of the FOCAL Pro Spirits?

Barefoot MM27 monitors and Audeze LCD-2 headphones if you got the bank for them.

I haven't heard the Focal Pro Spirits, but I am keenly interested in trying them. Problem is no one has them up here in Anchorage. I will say if the speakers I got are any sort of indication of their quality, jump on them! I've seen they get solid reviews online, including from TapeOp (Tape Op Magazine).

I'm using Equator D8's. I've had them for over a year and couldn't be happier. At $750 a pair, I feel like I'm committing "grand theft monitor".

I have a small mixer that I run the AxeFX and my computer sound through, so I can use them for the AxeFX and for general computer sounds too.

You can spend a fortune on monitors. I'd say the best ones are the best you can afford. I looked at the Equator D5s and would likely have gotten them but they where out of stock for months when I was looking and ended up with a pair of Adam A5x's. A bit more expensive and they are awesome. I also use Blue MoFi headphones that are great as well. I really wished they where wireless though.

I have Adams A7X monitors and Sennheiser HD650 headphones. Both awesome at the price points.

I use Event TR8's and like them.

I have Event TR8s too! When I switch from playing my Axe through my atomic CLR they sound a bit mid-rangey which I guess is due to the drop back to an 8" driver from the FRFR 12” CLR.

I kind of have the itch to upgrade my TR8s and am considering Mackie HR824s

I'll save you some time. There are hundreds if not thousands of choices out there but they can be narrowed down to two really popular options for best bank for buck at a reasonably high but not ridiculous price point:

Adams A7 (or newer A7X)

or

Dynaudio BM5A (or newer BM5A II)

These should be around 500-800 per pair used on eBay.

The general consensus is that the Adams have more top end and therefore might be more accurate, but do tend to cause more ear fatigue for users who are more prone to experiencing it. The Dynaudios sound a bit more pleasing and rolled off in the top end (this can be compensated with shelving switches in the back) - but for critical monitoring, this may not be what you're after. Anything else that can be said about them, whether one finds Adams abrasive or Dynaudio more musical sounding for example, is purely subjective.

I am very happy with my passive KRK K-Rok's.

Any patches I make with them translate well to the studio, whether they are guitar or bass tones.

You can get them between $150-$250 per pair used, killer value for the money.

I have not done any recording with my Axe in a while and have been gigging and rehearsing every week with my CLRs. What I do remember is that my KRK v4s with a KRK S12 sub, although sounding good, did not translate well to my live rig. So I picked up another CLR along the way to use as my recording monitors (probably not the right solution for near field however).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Guys,

Would like to ask for feedback on anyone who has tried out a pair of Tannoy Reveal 402. I'm from the Philippines and monitors here cost twice as much they do in the US. I saw an ad locally and I'll definitely get one if it works great with Axe Fx 2.

I'd like to add that was planning to buy a pair of Yamaha H5's or HS8's but I need to fly to Singapore to get one (It will actually save me money if I buy it in Singapore rather than getting it retail in the Philippines... Crazy isn't it!?)

If the Reveal 402 is equal or better than the yamaha's I'll definitely get it and ditch the plan to get the yamahas.

By the way, my intended use for the monitors is for recording at my home.

What do you recommend based on my situation? Your advice is most appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom