Best studio monitors for the Axe FX?

I'm getting a pair of Dynaudio BM5A MKII monitors and a KRK 10s sub to go with them. I found the Adams to have more of a "Hi-Fi" sound than a studio monitor, but people do like them. I actually found the A5X to have a more balanced sound than the A7X. It was a close toss-up between the A5X and the BM5A, and it was the mid-range response (and many reports of the Adam tweeters being rather fatiguing) that led me to the BM5As.

If you like your Adams, keep em - they get great reviews here.. If you want to step up a bit in price, some of the higher-end monitors mentioned here would be good options: SE Egg, Event Opal, Focal CMS 65, Barefoot, Genelec.

Guys I have a guitar room with my studio desk in there where my Axe is rack mounted to. I usually play sitting in front of the computer and I've been using 2 Atomic Reactor passive cabs. Ive never played through monitors before but since I got my Axe Fx 2 I was thinking about switching to some monitors on my desk and was looking at the Yahama HS50Ms since the 8" seemed too big for my desk.

I don't play crazy loud either so would switching over to studio monitors sound as good, better, or not as good as my Atomic Reactor cabs? Anyone else switch?

Thanks

I just recently ungraded to my nearfields from Yamaha's HS50's to a pair of Genelec 8040A and I'm blown away.
Very accurate mids, great separation from low end. The Axe II just sounds so amazing on them. (But the Yamahas still great for the price)

Had Yamaha HS 50m. Ditch them for a pair of Focal Solo 6 BE. Reeeeeaaaaally worth it...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

For under $3,000.00 a pair - I didn't think you will find anything that can take on the Dynaudio BM-15 Mid-Field Monitors.
These guys are as true as you could want and loud enough to flutter your shirt if you are close. Seriously good match if you want some serious studio power. The best part is when you also use them for non axe stuff. Mixing mastering Especially if you play keyboards too. WOW

Some more love for the Yamaha's HS80M.
I actually sold my atomic active wedge to get a pair of the Yamahas and saved the rest of the money from selling the atomic. I wasn't playing live (and won't be anytime soon), so I thought the best thing to do, was to buy a pair of nice studio monitors and have a stereo setup.
Needless to say, I am very satisfied...
Great speakers with enough power and bass (no need for a seperate sub).
They don't try to make the sound "prettier" like many speakers do (and that for me is a HUGE + as I also want my studio monitors for mixing, mastering etc), they just give an honest clear representation of what they receive.
They are quiet when in operation (another +) and they have controls to control the sound even when you are using them in an untreated room.
And for the price... you just can't beat them.

Don't waste your money for too expensive stuff which you would use fully.
Yamaha, Focal or Adam are perfect for home use.

I use Dynaudio BM 6A and I'm very pleased, although I have them for a long time so I'm used to them! are quite accurate in every band! Greetings

A pair of KRK RP5G2 Rokit G2 Sound great for what I use them for.
I am not Studio Mixing with mine, I use mainly for Practicing and Setting My Patches to be "In the Mix" Ready for the Band.
But they sound really great and I could see myself Mixing with them.

Well I just ordered a pair of Yahama HS50Ms. I can always return them if I don't like them. Musicians Friend had them on sale for buy one get one 50% off so they were $299. The HS80Ms are just too big for my desk so hopefully I'm happy with the 5".

I'm getting a pair of Dynaudio BM5A MKII monitors and a KRK 10s sub to go with them. I found the Adams to have more of a "Hi-Fi" sound than a studio monitor, but people do like them. I actually found the A5X to have a more balanced sound than the A7X. It was a close toss-up between the A5X and the BM5A, and it was the mid-range response (and many reports of the Adam tweeters being rather fatiguing) that led me to the BM5As.

If you like your Adams, keep em - they get great reviews here.. If you want to step up a bit in price, some of the higher-end monitors mentioned here would be good options: SE Egg, Event Opal, Focal CMS 65, Barefoot, Genelec.

Go for the BM6A MKII`s instead! The 5`s are a bit harsh compared to them.
I listened to both after a studiomagazine review stated they did not like the 5 but loved the 6. And they were right I think!
Also had the KRK 10s sub but did not like it, much better bassreponse with the BM6A`s alone!

As Sprada said, the Focals are really the best I have ever heard. I have listened to both the CMS 65's (awesome!!!!!!!) and the Solo6 BE's (awesome-er!!!!!!!), and ended up with a pair of the latter. Of course the downside is that at $900/ea and $1350/ea respectively, these will break the bank! I auditioned them against pairs of Mackie HR824 MkII's ($699 retail) and KRK VXT8's ($599 retail). IMHO, the Mackies came out third - poorer imaging, and less definition. The KRK's came in second - very nice overall, great imaging, but the midrange was a bit harsh/overly present. The Focal's are in another class and price range. I initially auditioned the CMS-65's - WOW! Impossible low end for a 6.5" woofer, balanced midrange - no hype, and very silky top end. I could hear things I had never heard before in music that I was very familiar with. The imaging was phenomenal... I could hear exactly where Mark Knopfler - I used the Love Over Gold album - was 'recorded' on the sound stage. You can close your eyes and pick out the whole band this way. If it sounds like I'm gushing, well - I guess I am.

Oddly, the journey started with a pair of the lower line Mackies - the MR series. I really liked these initially, but I had two power supplies freak out and couple 60 Hz signal directly to the speaker with no audio connected - it was loud as well. In retrospect, they didn't have much of a midrange compared to the KRK's and the Focals. I'm grateful they blew up - otherwise I'd never have been on the rest of the (very expensive but satisfying) journey.

Pete

KRK V6 series 1
had them for yonks... they're not exactly the finest monitors around, but for some reason I can't explain I really like them...
I guess it's familiarity more than anything else...
to me they seem flat enough, loud enough.. and the Axe sounds great through them...

but when I want to upset the whole street, I switch to my Marshalls..
they do that side of things so well...

Back
Top Bottom