Best Studio Monitors for low level playing in a small apartment?

X14Halo

Inspired
Any recommendations? Trying to stay under 300$, but if there is a massive jump in quality around 400-500, the i'll consider. I don't want to annoy neighbors right on the other side of the wall, so I'll be playing low volume, in a 14x14 foot room. No mixing really...just playing.

I have only ever played guitar through headphones really, and I think it's time to upgrade...are monitors going to sound much better?

I like my Rokit 6's. Pretty good bang for the buck. They're powered. Got mine new off ebay for just under $300 for the pair.

Yamaha HS80M. About $500 for both.

You'll want a decent set, and these are a great choice for lower budgets. Don't make the mistake of buying something trying to save a small amount of money, and have to spend the cashish anyway a year later.

I like my Rokit 6's. Pretty good bang for the buck. They're powered. Got mine new off ebay for just under $300 for the pair.

I had these for about 2 weeks, and at low volumes they were bassy and mushy...but better at higher volumes. I spent an hour doing an A/B at Guitar Center (hell) in between this and the HM80's, and the difference was night and day. Both low and loud.

IMO.

How about upgrading to a $300 headphone? You can play as loud as you want with awesome sound!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Monitors are really a "you get what you pay for" thing. You don't want them to sound good, you want them to sound real, at least if you're gonna record and mix with them.
With that said, i have a pair of behringer 3031 A. Budget and not the best ones but better than others in that price range IMO.
Don't get too small ones cause they will lack bass and you will compensate for that in your mixes making them sound bass heavy in other listening environments.
Decide your budget and read up on what you've got to choose there.
Adam is a well proved brand, that have a budget variant called F7, which some people like in that price range. More expensive than behringer but probably better.

+1 for HS80m's. I got mine used for 380 for the pair. You might want to consider the HS50's too. They can be had for about 200 or so for the pair. I also might even suggest a nice pair of headphones.

I'm in a similar situation, in a 3rd floor condo, and I try not to use my speakers for my fiance and the neighbors below. I use my headphones quite a bit more than the monitors...

Back
Top Bottom