Best Studio Headphones for AX8

Blue Mo-fis are $175 new other, or $99 pre-owned, on ebay.

Are open backs necessarily better for referencing?
I was leaning toward buying closed cans to prevent leakage when recording.

Closed are better when you are tracking say vocals where you need no leak. For electric guitar it shouldn't be an issue. I barely hear any leak anyways even with open cans but maybe I don't crank mine so high up.

Closed are for recording. It is mostly for drummers with a loud click track or singers, that might need the backing quite loud in their headphones, both of which will be recorded with condensor microphones and with tons of compression. For guitar tracking (especially direct), it is not really an issure. I much prefer open headphones, they are more comfortable to wear, and I think they sound better.

I love my DT990s. It has been very easy for me to get used to making presets with those.

I think best bang for the buck option is the DT880s. They're balanced, full sounding, and super comfortable. I like the DT770s too, but find them to be less balanced sounding. I also enjoy my Focal Spirit Pros. But if I had to choose just one, I'd do the 880s.

I personally HATED the Mo-Fis. I thought they were profoundly uncomfortable and sounded horrible (really boxy). Although I have to give them credit: by far the loudest headphone I ever heard.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro is a very common choice. Affordable and sound great. AND they are comfortable to wear.

Yup That's what I have DT 770 Pro 250 ohms. I have the Sonys and the AT's still. Don't use them too much anymore. As with everything in life, mostly peoples personal favorites are the answers you get.

In looking at the DT 770's, there is a DT 770 i, and a DT 770 Pro. Does anyone know the difference?

Also there is a 32 ohms version, an 80 ohms version, and a 250 ohms version. Which one is best suited?

Last edited:
Blue Mo-fis are $175 new other, or $99 pre-owned, on ebay.
I don't think that price will last. That price is from one seller, who apparently has dozens of used Mo-Fi's. Everyone else wants substantially more money.

Most studio type headphones are "flat" in the sense of an FRFR response target, but it takes a good amount of money before they actually start approaching that ideal. In the sub-$100 range, you're better off going for comfortable and tonally balanced.
This.

I’m going to give those eBay $99 Mo-Fis a shot. That is a heck of a price. Been using Bose QC35s because of the built in amp and they sound pretty good but for $99 pffft we shall see.

I stole my used Mo-Fi's two years ago for $175. $99 is a no-brainer.

In looking at the DT 770's, there is a DT 770 i, and a DT 770 Pro. Does anyone know the difference?

Also there is a 32 ohms version, an 80 ohms version, and a 250 ohms version. Which one is best suited?

Looks like "i" is related to the 16 Ohm version? Not sure.
Anyway, I'd choose between 80/250 Ohm versions. If your headphone output supports headphones with high impedance, just go for the 250 version. Otherwise, get the 80 version.

Back
Top Bottom