Best Studio Headphones for AX8

Krankle

I've narrowed my search down to the Sony MDR 7506's, or Audio Technica ATH M50X's

https://equipboard.com/posts/best-studio-headphones-for-music-production

It says the Sonys are "flat". I'm assuming this means they are FRFR? Does this make them the best of the ones listed in terms of presenting a fuller sound spectrum? Or if the AT's are rated better for overall sound would you go for those?

Anyone else have headphones they love that can add their recommendation?

Audio is subjective and so every recommendation and comment needs to be taken with some understanding of the peculiarities of everyone's ears. That being said, I don't understand why anyone likes the M50X. They're uncomfortable to wear and distinctly mediocre sounding. Can't comment on the Sony set.

As far as Beyer goes, do not buy the DT 990. It has a bajillion positive reviews from people who think "detail" means incredibly hot treble. They're almost offensively unbalanced for the price point.

Most studio type headphones are "flat" in the sense of an FRFR response target, but it takes a good amount of money before they actually start approaching that ideal. In the sub-$100 range, you're better off going for comfortable and tonally balanced.

Reactions: Rex
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro is a very common choice. Affordable and sound great. AND they are comfortable to wear.

I've tried quite a few lately. I did not like the Audio Technica M50x at all. Lacking a lot of midrange, all bass and hyped treble. I like the Beyer DT880 which are very comfortable, detailed, on the bright side. And I recently got the Sennheiser HD58x from Massdrop which is a bit darker in the high end but fuller in the low end.

Would that product be the equivalent of an audio interface like a Focusrite Scarlett, or as a "headphone amp" does it serve a different purpose?

It’s a headphone amplifier. It would amplify the signal coming out of the AX8 to help drive headphones that would need it.

Has anyone tryed out the Blue head phones. They are like 700.

Cliff recommends Blue Mo-Fis, at least that's what you can read here on the forum on different occasions.
Didn't try them myself yet, although they can be found quite cheap online atm. Maybe because I can't justify to buy another pair after acquiring a set of Bose QC 25 recently. Far from being FRFR or studio I know, but hey they sound great for headphone practice and are comfy.

Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro,good price,very good open back headphones, comfortable for hrs of constant use. They can compete with a lot of models from higher class... Check them out if you can.

I have the 7506’s and I find them harsh in the treble area. They are better headphones out there IMO. I have an older pair of AKG 701’s and they match more closely to my A7x’s.

Plus' I run into a mackie mixer and pull the headphone out of there, or computer interface (Safire) when tracking or mixing.

I dig the Beyerdynamic DT 880s. I couldn't bond with the Blue Mo-Fis, but haven't tried the newer stuff from Blue.

Back
Top Bottom