Best strat setup video for factory defaults

I will add that I have a 2006 Fender Strat Deluxe with Lindy Fralin Pups that is amazing. Never had to do anything "drastic" to the setup-it was and is primo. I did get rid of the Noiseless pups though.

Carl Verheyen advice was the best for me personally.

I float my Strat's closer to Jeff Becks setup than what Fender recommends and Set my spring claw as Carl suggest's....and it just works... always in tune.

Such a great guitar player...one of my favs. Knows the guitar inside and out!

Sure. I’ll try and get a couple of pics up this afternoon. The setup is pretty well described in @favance post. The first time you do this can be a little time consuming as you have to constantly adjust the claw and then re tune until you get the intervals you want (minor 3rd on g string). Once you get the bridge to have the travel you want, then you start adjusting the angle on the claw... starting at pitch, I fully dive the bar and then release it while at max travel... then check pitch on low E again...adjust claw on low E side and then repeat previous step. Eventually, you find a spot of equilibrium where the spring tension equals the string tension and it always returns to pitch (assuming no issues at the two witness points on the string). Compensate the higher bridge position with the saddles, (I cut down the saddle posts so they Dont protrude above the saddle and bother my hand), and then reset your intonation. Once you’ve done it a couple of times, it gets much quicker as you know roughly where it will end up at, and can start closer to the point, saving some iterations.

Some will say the baseplate being de coupled from the body has negative tone implications, and I’m sure it does to a degree....However, to me, the wider sonic palette it provides, far out weigh those concerns. Plus watch live at Ronnie Scott’s...no objectionable tone from my perspective.

EDIT:
Here's some crappy phone shots:

View attachment 57131

View attachment 57132

I know the two outside springs seem as if they would exert similar pull...However, the bass side has 4.7mm's more pull...which is where it will stay perfectly in tune as long as I have my usual 10-46 set on. Naturally, if I change string gauge or even brand...I need to repeat the process to find the new balance point. Action is low despite the bridge height, and plays like butter. Looks totally wrong...plays great.
Thank you for the instructions! I finally got my Ibanez Roadstar bridge setup right. It was different from the Fender specs which acted as a starting point for me, but after a few hours of careful adjustments the guitar finally stays in tune.

Thank you for the instructions! I finally got my Ibanez Roadstar bridge setup right. It was different from the Fender specs which acted as a starting point for me, but after a few hours of careful adjustments the guitar finally stays in tune.

Glad it worked for you. It’s a pain the first couple of times, but for me it’s worth it to always be in tune no matter how I abuse the bar. I prefer the feel of this setup as well.

I’ve never got the fender specs to stay in tune while still using the bar...even with roller nuts and locking tuners. Get the springs right, and it just stays in tune no matter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom