Best Stereo pair of FRFR's for Axe FX 3

Rodgero

I'm just getting started and getting ready to buy an Axe FX 3. What is the best Stereo pair of FRFR's for Axe FX 3? I was looking at Friedman ASM 12 and ASC 12, but read reviews that there is a noticeable hiss--and I need silent/quiet amps. I was thinking of a pair of Friedman ASC-10, but I'm confused as I am wanting to buy an AX FX 3 with awesome pair of FRFR's---appreciate all recommendations and opinions. I also have 2 Mesa Boogie Cabinets (2 x 12's) with Seymour Duncan Power Stage 700 amp---- and was just thinking of running Axe FX 3 through this.......but everyone tells me I need FRFR........I'm more into jazz fusion, blues, country and blue grass, R & B so I'm wondering if using Axe FX 3 with Seymour Duncan Power Stage 700 amp and 2 mesa boogie cabinets in stereo could work OK. Would the Axe FX 3 cabinet modeling still sound Ok with some tweaking---or should I turn off cabinet simulation in global setting in Axe FX 3?

You'd most likely want to disable Cab modeling when using a standard guitar speaker.

As far as FRFR, do a search here for "EV PXM-12MP". They're pretty great...

Lots of people also like Atomic CLRs and Xitones (which I used for a long time) but both are hard to get in the last year+.

Another choice that used to be popular is the RCF NX series. But they are a bit more expensive.

Thank you for your email Unix-guy. I'm a bit confused, if I disable Cab modeling, then does that mean I would not use any of the Cab Blocks when trying to make custom presets. If there is no Cab modeling, there it seems to me that there is no additive benefit of adding a Cab block---every Cab block would sound the same with cab modeling turned off. Is this correct?

I have two Friedman ASC-12s and I find them great. I play classic rock, so not exactly ehat you play, but close-ish. With the latest Cygnus X2, they have a lot of response and bottom end, something you will get from a good blues-oriented setup.

Together in stereo, they have more than enough output (max of 137 dbs. -might be 134 so dont quote me, but still, plenty loud if needed). I play mostly on small to medium bars and we rarely exceed 105 Dbs as a band, so the Friedmans have more than enough headroom. I rarely run the outputs of the Axe FXIII and the Friedmans beyond 1pm, even when the bar is crowded.

Now, about the hiss, that has not been my experience. They are really quiet and sound pretty good to me, especially when cranked (they are bit dark if playing below 90Dbs).

Hope this helps. Also, happy to elaborate more if needed.

I have two Friedman ASC-12s and I find them great. I play classic rock, so not exactly ehat you play, but close-ish. With the latest Cygnus X2, they have a lot of response and bottom end, something you will get from a good blues-oriented setup.

Together in stereo, they have more than enough output (max of 137 dbs. -might be 134 so dont quote me, but still, plenty loud if needed). I play mostly on small to medium bars and we rarely exceed 105 Dbs as a band, so the Friedmans have more than enough headroom. I rarely run the outputs of the Axe FXIII and the Friedmans beyond 1pm, even when the bar is crowded.

Now, about the hiss, that has not been my experience. They are really quiet and sound pretty good to me, especially when cranked (they are bit dark if playing below 90Dbs).

Hope this helps. Also, happy to elaborate more if needed.
Thank you No Dry Country--Several feedbacks on Sweetwater.com have commented that the driver has a continual hiss sound......I was leaning more towards the ASC-10--smaller/lighter and some comments mention a nicer texture to the exterior of the ACM 10 amps than on the ACM 12 that is lubed up with armor-all; also other comments mention the low cut switch seems to be more effective on ACM 10 and has a lower noise floor. The hiss comments scares me off---do you hear hiss coming out of the tweeter when no sound is being played.....I need a quiet environment as its being used in a home studio/song writing collaboration environment. What do you think about me running Ax Fx 3 thru my Seymour Duncan Power stage 700 solid state amp (for modelers) and going thru my 2 mesa boggie cabinets that I already own (two 2x12 mesa boggie cabinets).

I also have 2 Mesa Boogie Cabinets (2 x 12's) with Seymour Duncan Power Stage 700 amp---- and was just thinking of running Axe FX 3 through this.......but everyone tells me I need FRFR........I'm more into jazz fusion, blues, country and blue grass, R & B so I'm wondering if using Axe FX 3 with Seymour Duncan Power Stage 700 amp and 2 mesa boogie cabinets in stereo could work OK.

That notion that we need FRFR is nonsense. Try what you have. Use that first. I bet it will sound glorious! :)

Many actually prefer using actual guitar cabs over PA cabs with "tweeters."

That notion that we need FRFR is nonsense. Try what you have. Use that first. I bet it will sound glorious! :)

Many actually prefer using actual guitar cabs over PA cabs with "tweeters."
wow, thank you La Szum--- so good to know that it can work great. I have not purchased Axe Fx 3 yet but am preparing to buy on Xmas Black friday. The part that I'm most confused about it if I use the Seymour Duncan amp and my 2 Mesa Boogie Cabinets, then I'm told i need too disable Cab modeling, then does that mean I would not use any of the Cab Blocks when trying to make custom presets. If there is no Cab modeling, there it seems to me that there is no additive benefit of adding a Cab block---every Cab block would sound the same with cab modeling turned off. Is this correct? Do you think I should leave Cab modeling on and experiment with new custom presets with Cab modeling turned on?

Thank you for your email Unix-guy. I'm a bit confused, if I disable Cab modeling, then does that mean I would not use any of the Cab Blocks when trying to make custom presets. If there is no Cab modeling, there it seems to me that there is no additive benefit of adding a Cab block---every Cab block would sound the same with cab modeling turned off. Is this correct?
Correct.

If you're using real cabs there's no point in using a cab block.

You can remove it or just disable it globally.

wow, thank you La Szum--- so good to know that it can work great. I have not purchased Axe Fx 3 yet but am preparing to buy on Xmas Black friday. The part that I'm most confused about it if I use the Seymour Duncan amp and my 2 Mesa Boogie Cabinets, then I'm told i need too disable Cab modeling, then does that mean I would not use any of the Cab Blocks when trying to make custom presets. If there is no Cab modeling, there it seems to me that there is no additive benefit of adding a Cab block---every Cab block would sound the same with cab modeling turned off. Is this correct? Do you think I should leave Cab modeling on and experiment with new custom presets with Cab modeling turned on?
It won't sound "the same" with the cab block on.

It will sound like running a mic'd guitar speaker into a guitar speaker.

Where it will sound the same is using the same real guitar cabs for everything.

That might or might not be what you want.

I have a pair of EV PXM-12MP that I use with with my Fractals. I think they are just the right price point, size and weight, and are able to easily hang with the volumes on stage. They’re very flexible sound-wise and can be adjusted if their built-in EQ curves don’t meet your needs, though the Fractal EQ on the outputs has been more than adequate. They also can easily stack vertically if floor space is limited.

I use mine for the same genres … well, except bluegrass… but they’re plenty capable of handling clean and clear sound. A Blackface Deluxe or Robben Ford Dumble sound will sing.

Cab Modeling is easy to turn off and on globally, as others have mentioned. I always recommend
trying it on and off, and then trusting your ears to what you think sounds better. I use actual
guitar cabs and ended up leaving the Cab Modeling on. That allows me to do other things like
using the Hi and Lo Cuts in the Cab Block, Proximity, Room/Air parameters.

Sounds like you have a lot of experience with playing and gear. You know what will sound best for
you, and that will get you farther than any advice from people here with different tastes and ears. :)

It's you playing and listening, so you have to trust your own perceptions of sound---like what sounds good
to YOU!!

Thank you No Dry Country--Several feedbacks on Sweetwater.com have commented that the driver has a continual hiss sound......I was leaning more towards the ASC-10--smaller/lighter and some comments mention a nicer texture to the exterior of the ACM 10 amps than on the ACM 12 that is lubed up with armor-all; also other comments mention the low cut switch seems to be more effective on ACM 10 and has a lower noise floor. The hiss comments scares me off---do you hear hiss coming out of the tweeter when no sound is being played.....I need a quiet environment as its being used in a home studio/song writing collaboration environment. What do you think about me running Ax Fx 3 thru my Seymour Duncan Power stage 700 solid state amp (for modelers) and going thru my 2 mesa boggie cabinets that I already own (two 2x12 mesa boggie cabinets).
Rodgero, I do not hear any hiss coming from the Friedmans at all. Regarding the low cut, it works at volume quite well, low volume not so much...now, based on your application, the 12s might be overkill, so perhaps the EVs answer Unixguy suggested might be a better fit.

I cannot comment on other Systems as I don't use them, except for sending a copy of output 1 via output 2 to FOH. I do not need to tweak a thing between the friedmans and FOH sound.

Note: If you get the 12s, get a hand truck...your back will appreciate it.

Last edited:
I use actual
guitar cabs and ended up leaving the Cab Modeling on. That allows me to do other things like
using the Hi and Lo Cuts in the Cab Block, Proximity, Room/Air parameters.
So to be clear, though, I assume you're using the Totally Flat IR? Or are you also using speaker IRs?

Yamaha DXR10 mkii's are pretty flat, I'd consider those if my CLR's carked it. I use a DBX VENU360 as well, that can be used to flatten any speaker response with AutoEQ. Or I use Sonarworks SoundID/Reference for my studio monitors (Yamaha HS8's). Sounds translate really well between them and then I also know the direct sound of out the AxeFX3 will sound good on any well tuned PA system.

Back
Top Bottom