Best Speakers/Cab To Run Through?

Hey guys,

Just got the Axe-Fx Mk II and a Crown power amp. What should I run it through? For now, I just have my guitar cab. Will that sound decent(haven't been able to hook everything up yet)? What are some recommendations on speakers/cabs that will make this baby purr?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Just got the Axe-Fx Mk II and a Crown power amp. What should I run it through? For now, I just have my guitar cab. Will that sound decent(haven't been able to hook everything up yet)? What are some recommendations on speakers/cabs that will make this baby purr?

Thanks!

It will probably sound decent. But you're probably going to want to go into the Global menu on the unit and disable Cab modelling.
-
Austin

It will probably sound decent. But you're probably going to want to go into the Global menu on the unit and disable Cab modelling.
-
Austin

Agreed.

If you decide to buy a different cab, you will run into a difference in opinions about FRFR.

Personally (for my usage), I have had FANTASTIC results when using two Matrix NL212's. They sound amazing !

Ok, cool. What exactly does cab modeling do? (Super beginner here. Haha)

The are 2 key blocks to the amplifier modelling in the Axe FX. The first block is the Amp block. The physical analogue would be an amp head The second is the Cab block. The physical analogue would be...a cab! Now if you're running through studio monitors or some other full-range setup, you need the Cab block in there so you can produce something that actually sounds like a guitar amp. But if you are running the Axe FX through an actual physical Cab this modelling is not needed. In this case you should disable the cab modelling on the Axe FX. So now when you use it, it will be like swapping out a bunch of different amp heads and using them all with your cab.

I should mention that there are no hard and fast rules with this. Some people find that, for them, it sounds better with cab modeling turned on even thought they are running it through their cab. In general though, if you are using an actual physical cab turning cab modeling off is the way to start off.
-
Austin

I should mention that there are no hard and fast rules with this. Some people find that, for them, it sounds better with cab modeling turned on even thought they are running it through their cab. In general though, if you are using an actual physical cab turning cab modeling off is the way to start off.
-
Austin

Before I bought my first Matrix cab, I used a Bogner 4x12. I found out that SOME of my presets sounded better without the cab modeling, and some actually sounded better with it. One day I just stood went through my favorite presets and toggled back and forth between on / off, with the cab modeling. Then I would "store" each one the way that I liked it, so at least I knew that each preset sounded the best that it could (without additional tweaks).

Back
Top Bottom