Best solutions to address the "No headphones output" issue.

Couldn't I use my Focusrite Scarlett audio interface? It's just the small 2 channel and it has a headphone out.

@REDD Sure you can and it will work just fine. We are mostly discussing portable solutions that do not require separate power supply :)

@REDD Sure you can and it will work just fine. We are mostly discussing portable solutions that do not require separate power supply :)
Yeah, it runs off of a USB. If I'm using my laptop then I'm good being portable. It is small. The size of a stomp pedal.

Yeah, it runs off of a USB. If I'm using my laptop then I'm good being portable. It is small. The size of a stomp pedal.

Agreed, I have a Scarlett 2i4 myself, just love that interface! :) But, to carry around you still need a laptop...

In the other hand, my Zoom H5 just needs 2xAA battery, or the Fiio E6 is the size of a thumb drive... Hard to beat :)

Agreed, I have a Scarlett 2i4 myself, just love that interface! :) But, to carry around you still need a laptop...

In the other hand, my Zoom H5 just needs 2xAA battery, or the Fiio E6 is the size of a thumb drive... Hard to beat :)
Just googled the Fiio E6. Never heard of one, that's pretty cool!

Yep, works like a charm.
You just need the adapter cable:

Hosa CMP159 Stereo Breakout, 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4 in TS, 10-Feet
Amazon product ASIN B005HGM1D6

This is how i have done it but also using a headphone amp (FiiO Kilimanjaro 2). Up until using one of these I was using the scarlett 2i2 and it sounded good. Coming directly from the AX8 it sounds amazing. Just a point to note, ensure you have a cab selected for both left and right if you are using stereo in your patch otherwise it will come out of one ear only.

I'm using the Digital coaxial output into a Fiio E17k. There are a few portable little headphone amps with the coaxial i've noticed. Ibasso makes a few, and they all work apparently, as the chips auto-adjust to (48khz/24bit). I think this circumvents the shortcoming rather well, considering these cost about $120 US, and they are useful in themselves. Of course, it's not necessary, but I had one, so i'm using it. Works good.

The easiest solution is the Hosa breakout cable. Just add the FX Loop block and you are ready to go.
I have one, it works great!

http://hosatech.com/product/ypp-136/
I have just bought one of these off amazon to see how they compare to me going into a headphone amp. It Will be nice if I don't have to use the amp in line with a set of Bose headphones I use when I go away. However I will still need an amp When I used my AKGs which I will at home. I would suggest the mark 2 should come with a headphone port!

I have just bought one of these off amazon to see how they compare to me going into a headphone amp. It Will be nice if I don't have to use the amp in line with a set of Bose headphones I use when I go away. However I will still need an amp When I used my AKGs which I will at home. I would suggest the mark 2 should come with a headphone port!

Also in the FX Loop block there is a slider so you can boost the output if needed.
That works great too!!

I played w
Also in the FX Loop block there is a slider so you can boost the output if needed.
That works great too!!

I played with the FX Loop initially and found then moved to using the 1/4 inch outputs and found them easier as I didn't have to add fx loop blocks to all my presets plus I can adjust the volume on the face of the AX8. Personal preference I guess

I played w

I played with the FX Loop initially and found then moved to using the 1/4 inch outputs and found them easier as I didn't have to add fx loop blocks to all my presets plus I can adjust the volume on the face of the AX8. Personal preference I guess

I see. For my application I run stereo XLR's to the FOH and use the FX Loop to my monitor, and of course headphones at home.

Back
Top Bottom