Best site for used strats?

Doug

Inspired
I'm in the market for a used strat, not over the top high-end but maybe around $2,000 or so. Any recommendations on the best places to look? I'm assuming thegearpage.net, any other favorites? I'll google some strat-specific sites but I'm intestested to see if anyone has personal experience or recommendations.

Thanks.

guitar center used site. 30 day return if you dont like it and alot of the time the prices on used gear is competitive

I would do a WTB ad on The Gear Page for the type of specs you prefer (pickups, neck wood, neck radius, neck joint, fret size, etc).
You will get a ton of responses.
For that kind of money you should be able to get exactly what you want.

Been playing Strats all my life. Long time. If I was looking for another one I would first look at Elderly Instruments-Bought my 06 USA deluxe start there about 8 months ago-the yellow ones I think were MF (GC) exclusives. Definitel I my favorite to play these days. It's my Avatar actually. The other place is Chris's Guitars. I have never boght anything from him but did have an email conversation-seemed like a down to earth guy.

i would say excluding vintage strats $2000 is "over the top high end" for a strat

A new USA strat is less than $1000 musiciansfriend and gc always have rebates or $100-300 off $1000 items
$200 set up pickups and you're set...

Even $2000 used artist models are used for $1000

i buy a TON of gear from used.guitarcenter.com

Oddly, there is a site called... you guessed it... UsedStrats.com

They have a bunch, but I didn't do a price check.

Thanks for the input guys, this is helpful. There is also a vintage shop in San Francisco that I may check out, I'm only about 30 miles away.

Just sold my old, (new - in the case) EJ strat, one of the first produced - to a fellow AxeFx gent.

I miss it, though I never played it :(

GC used can be great, thegearpage is also a great spot. I have an LSL strat that I love. Pickups are fantastic, feel is great. Super well made guitar. I've never been much of a strat player, but this is the first one I've had that I'm happy to play live for longer than a few songs without itching for a tele or semihollow. There are a lot of boutiquey options around $2000. I'd buy something boutique used rather than spend $2000 on Fender unless it was used custom shop. I had a Custom Shop Players guitar or something like that. It had all the mods of the Jeff Beck strat and the samarium cobalt pickups. I couldn't bond with the pickups, but under 1k, it was a great playing strat and I could've gotten any pickups I wanted and still be well under 1.5k. Played like butter.

if you're going to buy a $2000 strat on craigslist i suggest lowballing the hell out of the seller

there aren't too many people out there with $2000 cash buying $2000 guitars
and with Jems and Les Pauls there aren't too many people going after these kinds of strats i've seen some for sale for years on craigslist all over...

so don't act attached to it- and get it fkn cheap

there's such a small market for used $2000 strats you can get a steal on one- i'd say- $1000-1500 on a strat local on craigslist that sells on ebay a min for $2000-3000

but its not like i've got $2800 ibz universe for under $700 or a $2600 JS1000 for under $500 on craigslist... oh wait- i have
shhhhhh!

I would do a WTB ad on The Gear Page for the type of specs you prefer (pickups, neck wood, neck radius, neck joint, fret size, etc).
You will get a ton of responses.
For that kind of money you should be able to get exactly what you want.

+1 on TheGearPage - an incredible amount of quality guitars come up for sale on there - plus because the membership are serious guitar nerds, anything slightly suspicious that comes up for sale there is usually quickly outed by the others, unlike eBay where the number of fakes and replicas being listed as the real thing is becoming an epidemic.

I have a 95 Robert Cray custom shop I'm selling for a friend. Pretty close to mint. Let me know If you're interested. All paperwork. All stock.

e7uryver.jpg

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not real sold on the custom shop stuff, I feel like if I was going to buy a new start-style guitar I might just buy a Suhr. I'd like to have a "real" strat with some years on it, but I guess I should look into the custom strat stuff a little more.

yeah i wouldn't spend more than $1000 on anything that says FENDER on it either

To me no strat is worth $1000 because every strat in the world is comprised of $1000 or less in parts. and can be parts together for less than the real price

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not real sold on the custom shop stuff, I feel like if I was going to buy a new start-style guitar I might just buy a Suhr. I'd like to have a "real" strat with some years on it, but I guess I should look into the custom strat stuff a little more.

I'd go suhr if I were you. I have one and its miles beyond any strat

Back
Top Bottom