Best routing to record strait to DAW using a Stereo Tube amp & Axe-Fx III

Morlock

Hello..

I've searched but haven't found the complete solution for my situation & would appreciate any advice on proper routing. I just purchased an AXFX3 + Freyette LX II "Stereo" power amp. I'm still waiting on shipping so I wanted to get a perspective on how to route things early. I've seen the 4CM but not with using a tube amp + AxFx3 .. strait into a DAW. I want to use the LXII for some tube magic & still use the AxFx power amp modeling due to the (neutral) behavior of the LXII. With that said.. how should this be routed? And.. can I do this without a load box or do I need a load box? I'm not using real cabs.. just IR's only. The 4CM seems to be the most flexibility using FX before & after the amp although I did read somewhere about it causing more noise. I just want the most cleanest pure recording strait to DAW possible. Please excuse my ignorance as I'm crossing over from Flamenco style acoustic nylon guitar to electric. How would you more experienced guys route this in full stereo? Could you please explain the signal chain & if XLR out to my RME audio interface would be the cleanest path to my DAW as well? Not sure if the AD/DA conversion in the RME would be worse (more digital) & (cold) .. rather than the direct signal going through USB.. strait to DAW.

Thanks so much!
Brandon

You want to run the AxeFX preamp into the Freyette, and the run the output of that back into the AxeFX for the IR? Any configuration that involves the Freyette will need a load box applied to its output. Realistically though, I'd be surprised if you find it worthwhile to use the Freyette instead of the AxeFX power amp modeling.

Thank you man! Yea.. wondering if I waisted 1499.00 on the Freyette. Will know soon! The AxFx will be here on Wednesday. So.. I would go .. Guitar to the AxFx front "INPUT". Out of the AxFx "SEND" to the Freyette "INPUT" Freyette "OUTPUT" into the Load Box. Then to DAW?

In think you're missing some stuff and mixing other stuff up.

The 4CM routing is for use with a guitar amp not a power amp.

If you want to include it, you'd need to route:

Guitar -> Axe Fx -> Freyette -> Load Box -> Axe Fx (for Cab block) -> DAW

The Axe Fx already completely and accurately models the power amp section of every amp in the box.

IMO, adding a real tube power amp - especially in this situation where there's no interaction with a real cab - is a waste of effort and money.

Hmmm.. that makes sense. I appreciate that information. I guess it would be different in a live setup using cabs. Like you said. That interaction with the amp & speaker cab. But... overkill & unnecessary for direct recording to DAW. This really simplifies things.

I want my 1499.00 back!! ..lol.

Thank you sir!

Thank you man! Yea.. wondering if I waisted 1499.00 on the Freyette. Will know soon! The AxFx will be here on Wednesday. So.. I would go .. Guitar to the AxFx front "INPUT". Out of the AxFx "SEND" to the Freyette "INPUT" Freyette "OUTPUT" into the Load Box. Then to DAW?

I don't know if "wasted" is the right word, but the Freyette does seem redundant. There's a good reason why you've not been able to find any examples of anybody using a rig like this :).

Was kind of curious to see the OP follow thru with their idea...for science. I loved what my power amp’s presence dials would do to my sound when I used to use it with my prophesy and speaker cab back in the day. I no longer have a speaker cab and I have been wondering what it would sound like in conjunction with my axe fx 3 and have been trying to figure out between the multitudes of connection possibilities a way to do basically what the OP was suggesting. A way to go guitar -> axefx -> power amp -> (the ideal load box) -> back into the axfx in some way tho I don’t know what the routing or block chain would have to be -> usb out to my Mac mini/Logic Pro. I’m compelled to do this but I haven’t been able to get the answers I seek. The axefx is great, I’m very happy with it as is but for curiosity sake I’d like to try it and the only equipment I don’t have to make this possible is a load box of sorts that can handle my Carvin ts100 which is flexible as it can run 4 ohm, 8 ohm or 16ohm for each of the two channels at 50 watts or 8 ohm if using for 100w bridged. For science people worst case scenario I have a load box that I can either resell or find a use case for somewhere down the line.

Attachments

• DB379851-E5F3-4921-9292-C657589C75E3.png
    DB379851-E5F3-4921-9292-C657589C75E3.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom