Best rack case for Axe-Fx

iokuyt

Just wanted to get a few opinions on the best rack case (2u or 3u) for the Axe-Fx?

I've just replaced my old generic one (as the catches are breaking) with one of these -

SKB 19" 2U Shallow X Rack | Cybermarket.co.uk

Turns out it's not deep enough, and the plastic back would probably last a month at best, so it's going back.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on your needs, flight case, world tour, occasional 15 minute trip to a gig sitting on the backseat of your car etc

Budget ? Is weight an issue ? Shock protection ? Built in handles ?

Turns out it's not deep enough, and the plastic back would probably last a month at best, so it's going back.

I hate it when it's not deep enough... Sorry... ;)

At any rate I have a Gator 4U hardened plastic case, play about 30 gigs a year and the AFX has been in there for 1 1/2 years. It has held up well and is solid. Agreed with lqdsnddist, it all has to do with need and expectations. Hope that helps mate.

Thanks for the replies, and good questions -

Budget - The SKB one's are about £120 - see below so probably wouldn't want to spend much more than that for a 2u (think it's about £130 for 3u)

SKB 2U RACK - PA - 19 INCHES ABS RACK | Woodbrass.com

Play about 60 to 70 gigs per year. Usually UK so case travels in car or van (hasn't had to fly yet)

Weight not really an issue, handles would definitely be required. Shock protection would be nice if it doesn't bump the price up too much.

Thanks again.

Budget - The SKB one's are about £120 - see below so probably wouldn't want to spend much more than that for a 2u (think it's about £130 for 3u)

I understand the budget issue. This is the one I have:

Amazon.com: Gator Cases Pro Series Rotationally Molded Rack Case (4 Space): Musical Instruments

Honestly I would get one with a 4U strictly for a Power Conditioner to balance the power placement regardless of what socket you plug into. Protect and ground your investment, it pays off... Thanks!

Shock protection does not come cheap, and adds a good deal of weight. Probably not needed unless you know you need it;

I have a Gator 4u that has held up great. Its very lightweight, seems plenty rugged, but with enough give to provide some shock absorption in the corners, and has built in handles. Pretty cheap too, under $100 in the US, depending if its on sale

The RotoMolded cases (SKB et al) are strong but they are very bulky. I have three cases for my Axe-Fx and wireless (Line 6 rack);

• The 3U Gator case: Gator 3U Audio Rack, Shallow (GR-3S) (I really like this and used it for a long time one but I needed a 4U after a while. Compact, light, robust, tidy. good airflow etc.)
  • The SKB RotoMolded: SKB 2U Space Roto Molded Rack (Nice, good airflow but very bulky, heavy-ish)
  • The Gator 4U Bag: Gator 4U Audio Rack Bag (GRB-4U) (Using it currently. Padded, compact, bag with straps, adequate airflow)

As I see you are in the UK too, you may want to try Thomann. The exchange rate isn't what it was but their range of rack cases is good. My band uses an 10u one for the PA gear and I have a 4u one for the Axe FX2 and an old Roland rack mount synth, plus one space for mains wiring. You may want to add a wireless or something later so a 4U may be a good idea. Anyway, here's the link:

Thon Rack 4U Live 45 - Thomann UK

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom