Votes: 22 20.8%
  • Mission Gemini Wedge

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Dynacord AXM12A

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Headrush

Votes: 13 12.3%

• Total voters
This was my exact path as well. First used HPR122 as my FRFR, then took a leap just like you did (due to the rave) to the FBT Verves.
I was happy, and gigged with one for quite a while.
- > enter Merlin with his RCF and comparison to the Verve.

I always have GAS, so I ordered the RCF. It was not hype....it was a huge improvement.
Just like studio monitors - you have a set you think sound great, until you hear better. Then you wonder how you could ever be without the 'better' one.

Like I said - I always have GAS, so take my advice with a grain of salt. But if I was in your shoes, I'd ditch the Verve and get either the Atomic, RCF or XiTone (or Dynacord as Merlin mentioned, that seems to be a great wedge as well).
There are better products out there for an extremely close price. You deserve the best :)

According to what's be posted here the Atomic won't be available anytime soon. I did write them and place myself on the waiting list but if it's going to be many months I'll have to choose something else. I've been hearing good things about the RCF for a while now. But it's big, heavy and I'm not willing to spend $1,700 for a monitor. I'm considering the XiTone.

Wow. They do sound very different. I would have liked to have heard an mp3 of a well known song through them. For me that's a far better reference to distinguish which is more true sounding.
There's a "direct" recording that you can use as a reference.
And the Verve with my corrective EQ applied.
Go to the playlist, there's 3 files.

There's a "direct" recording that you can use as a reference.
And the Verve with my corrective EQ applied.
Go to the playlist, there's 3 files.
All the files I can find are your guitar. I meant an mp3 of a song. That is something that to me is far more revealing that just a guitar. For example, your sound clips are helpful to hear how the monitors are different from each other but I can't know which one is truer to the signal. I do like the tone of the RCF better but the Verve might be truer. I have no way of knowing. Now if you recorded the speakers playing the mp3 of Jackson Browne's Somebody's Baby, that is a source that I can know what it's supposed to sound like and how honest the speaker is at reproducing. Of course the microphone, room, ect will be a factor but at least any of us can have access to the song to have context.

Last edited:
According to what's be posted here the Atomic won't be available anytime soon. I did write them and place myself on the waiting list but if it's going to be many months I'll have to choose something else. I've been hearing good things about the RCF for a while now. But it's big, heavy and I'm not willing to spend $1,700 for a monitor. I'm considering the XiTone.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/29857448/

All the files I can find are your guitar. I meant an mp3 of a song. That is something that to me is far more revealing that just a guitar. For example, your sound clips are helpful to hear how the monitors are different from each other but I can't know which one is truer to the signal. I do like the tone of the RCF better but the Verve might be truer. I have no way of knowing. Now if you recorded the speakers playing the mp3 of Jackson Browne's Somebody's Baby, that is a source that I can know what it's supposed to sound like and how honest the speaker is at reproducing. Of course the microphone, room, ect will be a factor but at least any of us can have access to the song to have context.

Well, I can't do that anymore since I neither have the Verve nor the RCF anymore. You should be able to hear which is truer to the direct (line-out into ProTools) recording though.
My (limited) measuring capabilities showed what my ears heard: the Verve's frequency response was all over the place, the RCF was pretty flat.

Yeah, I saw that too. I'm on the waiting list and will probably order one if I get the invite, but given how long folks have been waiting I'm somewhat skeptical that they'll be able to clear the list anytime soon.
I know they had major problems with parts availability like many others including Fractal, not to mention tariffs to navigate. It may be a big list but not everyone on a waitlist buys plus a lot of people may have bought something else in the meantime so it may go faster due to that. We'll see.

I have found someone that will sell me a pair of barely used original Atomic CLRs for $1500. I know they're heavier. Do you guys think that would be a good choice?

I have found someone that will sell me a pair of barely used original Atomic CLRs for $1500. I know they're heavier. Do you guys think that would be a good choice?

I have one 12" xitone wedge that I like, never bought two, I know you like stereo. But if you ever want to hear it maybe we could get together for another shoot out. I still like my little FBT's but they are only 8" so I wanted an 12" option.

What I have owned:

Alto TX8 - OK for the money but not great.

QSC K8 - As others have mentioned, I did not like the strange coloration of the sound (from the bass port, for me) and think they are a bad choice for the money.

Xitone 1x12 - With Matrix power amp. Clear and excellent and chosen because it sounds more guitar amp/amp in the room than other choices. And because of videos comparing it to the CLR.

I play mostly at home and low volume and bought a pair of Presonus e4.5's on a whim and at the recommendation of Fractal Audio and I love them for the volumes I play. With IR's they provide a tight guitar speaker like experience which is the coolest thing I have heard from any monitor or even running through real guitar speakers. I tend to run them and the Xitone, together, and that is just borderline magickal.

There are some good sounding suggestions in this thread. 👍

Those are a great choice. Not the 'best' price I've seen. But they're great speakers.

Question - where do you live?
There may be members near you that would be willing to let you try some of their FRFR products.
I'm in Boston and I have a XiTone, RCF NX12ma and Atomic CLR (and some others).

Those are a great choice. Not the 'best' price I've seen. But they're great speakers.

Question - where do you live?
There may be members near you that would be willing to let you try some of their FRFR products.
I'm in Boston and I have a XiTone, RCF NX12ma and Atomic CLR (and some others).
I'm in the Portland, OR area.

Which powered FRFR monitor sounds best to you? My criteria is that it shouldn't color the tone. I play recorded music through them to hear how true they sound. I've had a pair of FBT Vere 12ma's for about ten years. They've been fantastic...but I dropped one and now it's ruined and FBT don't make them anymore. I've been out of the FRFR market a long time. I want to hear what you guys think. Vote, cuss and discuss. ✌

Hi MK, I have a Verve FBT 12ma in fine condition other than a scuff or two. I'd sell it if you are interested. I am in Hawaii, though, so shipping would be a factor.

So why not get a FOH style speaker?
Yamaha dzr/dxr, JBL SRX, RCF, etc.

I'm standing close so a coaxial monitor is better than two drivers side by side. I'm fine with a good coaxial wedge...but they cost just as much or more. I really like EAW monitors but they're $1500 each.

Last edited:
I'm standing close so a coaxial monitor is better than two drivers side by side. I'm fine with a good coaxial wedge...but they coast just as much or more. I really like EAW monitors but they're $1500 each.
Then you have the right monitors in your sights. Atomic, RCF NX12ma (both of which are FRFR FOH speakers) and XiTone.
There are some Turbosound coax (I think TFX122) that are Coax and getting some good reviews (for less expensive options).
EV came out with a new one as well (at NAMM), just haven't seen the price.

A good Coax wedge is perfect for the Axe, and can also serve as a FOH speaker if/when needed.
I've used a pair of Atomic CLRs for FOH and they were awesome (it's what they were originally designed for....per Jay Mitchell).

The Atomic CLRs arrived yesterday. They do sound a bit different. Bottom end is more present. After going back and forth A/B'ing them, I do find the CLRs to be more true. I didn't find it to be night and day though. Nevertheless I'm very happy with them. Thank you to everyone for their input.
FBT vs ATOMIC.jpg

Back
Top Bottom