Best power amps for Axe fx 3

Totally agree, I have the 2u Matrix 1000. going to sell it. Total disappointment, I have quite a few of the real amps that the AxeFx III MkII claims to accurately cover and was still finding it isn't close enough until I tried a few other power amplifiers. It was the matrix that was sucking all the tone and feel that the AxeFx III is capable of. I tried both Crown and QSC amplifiers at different price points. The Crown XLS 1000 is pretty good but not as good as everyone raves about online. It was jut a little better than the Matrix. But better! Don't cheap out on your amplifier or you will just be unhappy. If you can afford an axefx you can afford a good power amp.

I got a 1U Matrix when I got my celestion f12-x200 cabs. I might try a different power amp, someday. It sounds good, but really close to my Friedman, which have celestions of some kind. They are much easier to take out than the Friedmans, and they have plenty of volume and have sounded good when playing with others. I think I need to record with the diffferent cabs, try some more EQing and my different guitars. It's hard sometimes to be objective when you are playing, kind of like why I record myself to improve my playing.

So were you saying you got the QSC, if so which model? Thanks!

I was actually replying to a comment but I didn't reply to it specifically it seems.
I'm new and haven't used a forum in a long time so I'm rusty. 😅

I was just replying to some people who don't like Matrix. They are Metallica approved. But just because it's Metallica choice like it really doesn't mean it's everyone's cup of tea. I was just making a joke.

Might be a dumb question, but I have a FM3. If I got an Axe-Fx III, do you have to run a power amp? I have 2 Friedman ASC-12 powered FRFR. So I would think it would work the same as with the FM3. I have searched the forums and googled, but haven't found a definitive answer. I see a lot of info about running power amps with the Axe, but when the cab was mentioned it was a guitar cab or a passive FRFR (unpowered). So my question is can I start out with an Axe playing at home into my Friedmans that are powered? And then later look into getting a power amp if that improves the tone.
Are you still using the friedmans? I’m on the fence to buy two but also debating the power amp passive real cabs option…

With Matrix apparently down for the foreseeable future I’d like folks refreshed opinions on digital power amp options for AxeFx3?

I’m currently running a Mesa 2:100 and love it but would like an I colored option.

Thoughts?

With Matrix apparently down for the foreseeable future I’d like folks refreshed opinions on digital power amp options for AxeFx3?

I’m currently running a Mesa 2:100 and love it but would like an I colored option.

Thoughts?
SD Powerstage 700 has been solid for me and sounds great. /shrug

Edit: not even using it these days though. Been using the w/d/w setup with three FRFRs

Interesting! I have not seen one of these in the wild, how long have you had it running the AF3? Is it pretty neutral?
I have had it for a few weeks. I think it is fairly neutral. It definitely gets loud and has some power to it. I have only ever tried the PS 200 and this so far, and I am liking the PB better for my needs. I mainly play heavier stuff.

Last edited:
I had a Fryette LXII for a bit that I really liked until I ran into the situation of having to transport it lol. Granted it's not super heavy, but adding a 20+ lb power amp into a 6U rack case with an Axe FX and power conditioner didn't really appeal to me. I ended up selling it for a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 and I feel like I didn't lose much tonally and gained a lot on portability.

The Fryette, in comparison, seemed to have more high and low end than the PS700 and at first I thought I made a bad choice. Then I just tweaked the bass and treble control on the PS700 above the mid point and it's basically the same tone as the Fryette lol. I was jamming with my friend too and didn't have any issue cutting through against his Orange AD200.

The rack mount size and controls make it awkward to mount in a rack, but I just threw some big amp feet on it so it'd clear the top handle on my rack case. I just throw the power amp in a backpack when I need it. I don't need the PA when I play at church so it doesn't make sense for me to make space for it in a rack case.IMG_2359.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom