Best power amp for the $$$

ADD

Hello,

newb here. wondering if anyone can recommend a good solid power amp for my axe-fx.

I have a Peavey classic chorus stereo series 400 watts (2 : 12'' speakers) that i am thinking of running it through.

I like warm rich tones but mainly am looking for a lot power with the best transparency that my budget can afford.

looking to hopefully keep the power amp down the road but right now my budget is around $250-450. I would like to use this in a live setting and be able to have capabilities of playing larger venues.

Please help.

Last edited:
go direct spend the cash on a atomic wedge to monitor yourself....but if you have to have one look into the new matrix power amp its been getting alot of buzz.

Thanks!
i checked it out this thing doesn't have a rackmount and it kinda looks like something uncle ben put together in his workshop/garage....

I also checked out the atomic and was wondering if i could use the passive cab no amp and rig it to my peavy solid state 400 watt guitar amp?

does this make any sense?
what would the advantage be?

or

Would you guys suggest running my axe-fx through the pa and buy the wedge to monitor myself throughout the performance?

One concern with this set-up I'm practically at the mercy of the house pa/quality of the soundguy?

We have also have pretty mid-low quality pa system 2 300 watt speakers 1 jbl 1 gemini that we rehearse with and lug around to shows too but I just thought you could get a better sound through an actual guitar amp..

Can you help me settle this problem please?

Last edited:
DADA, about how much did you pay for yours b/c thrre seems to be no prices listed on there website I was think the xt-800 do you still own one?

In your price range, I would certainly look at the ART SLA-2. Not the best overall, but a very good value and many folks around here use it.

+1 on the sla2. i thought about the powered atomics but decided to get a ss poweramp. mainly because you can use it with a cab or power a frfr monitor/speaker depending on the gig.

DADA, about how much did you pay for yours b/c thrre seems to be no prices listed on there website I was think the xt-800 do you still own one?

I paid ca. 450 Euro. Best is to contact Matt from Matrix amplification and ask for a price quote. Mention that you want to use it for the Axe-Fx.
If you want a ART SLA 2 you can buy mine for Euro 320 excl shipping.
So the decision is yours.

Greetings

Location, location, location...

DADA 's in Europe, so is Matrix and they don't have a US distribution as yet. Something to consider.

However, they will ship to the US. Import Tax is teh biggest price hike, but if a few in teh US want them, a group buy wouldn't be too much. There coing to cost more than you $450 though. At £390 stirling - even without shipping and import, your looking at $600.

i must say though - after owning an SLA, then moving onto a VHT valve power amp, the Matrix is a special SS amp, and IMO a league above the ART.

yeah. THanks I'm in the US.

SO it looks like the matrix is out for now. :-x is there any other middle ground between the matrix and an ART SLA 2 ? for under $450 or would you guys agree the SLA is my best shot at that price pop?

Last edited:
I've got a little story I thought I would share with you all about my Velocity 300 power amp.

I went to Musician's Friend and saw that the Velocity 300 listed for $369 new. While I was there I noticed that MF also had a couple of used 300s so I thought I would take a look and see what they had to offer. One of the amps listed was in excellent condition but had one channel out for $155 plus FREE shipping. My next step was to contact Rocktron to see if I could get a service manual for the amp. Jim Chowning wrote back within minutes and sent me a schematic. Since I had the schematic I figured I would pull the trigger and purchase the non-working 300 and repair it myself. The amp arrived and as advertised was in excellent cosmetic condition. I got my schematic, O-scope and other test equipment out so I could open up the amp and see what I could see. As I was about to remove the first screw I noticed that the amp was in "bridged" mode. This struck me as a little odd since the amp and owner's manual both clearly state that only channel 1's output is active when in bridged mode. I thought to myself, "surely the previous owner didn't try to run the amp in stereo like this?" You can probably guess what happened from here.

I hooked up a pair of speakers, placed the amp in stereo mode, connected a CD player to the inputs, hit "Play" and BINGO!!! Stereo playback. I let the amp play for about 30 minutes and both channels worked perfectly. The Reactance control on this thing is GREAT. With it turned all the way down I was disappointed with the sound. I dialed the Reactance to 2:00 and the Definition to 10:00 and WOW! what a difference it makes.

Moral of the story? Read the damn instructions before you write off a piece of equipment as non-working.

I've got a little story I thought I would share with you all about my Velocity 300 power amp.

I went to Musician's Friend and saw that the Velocity 300 listed for $369 new. While I was there I noticed that MF also had a couple of used 300s so I thought I would take a look and see what they had to offer. One of the amps listed was in excellent condition but had one channel out for $155 plus FREE shipping. My next step was to contact Rocktron to see if I could get a service manual for the amp. Jim Chowning wrote back within minutes and sent me a schematic. Since I had the schematic I figured I would pull the trigger and purchase the non-working 300 and repair it myself. The amp arrived and as advertised was in excellent cosmetic condition. I got my schematic, O-scope and other test equipment out so I could open up the amp and see what I could see. As I was about to remove the first screw I noticed that the amp was in "bridged" mode. This struck me as a little odd since the amp and owner's manual both clearly state that only channel 1's output is active when in bridged mode. I thought to myself, "surely the previous owner didn't try to run the amp in stereo like this?" You can probably guess what happened from here.

I hooked up a pair of speakers, placed the amp in stereo mode, connected a CD player to the inputs, hit "Play" and BINGO!!! Stereo playback. I let the amp play for about 30 minutes and both channels worked perfectly. The Reactance control on this thing is GREAT. With it turned all the way down I was disappointed with the sound. I dialed the Reactance to 2:00 and the Definition to 10:00 and WOW! what a difference it makes.

Moral of the story? Read the damn instructions before you write off a piece of equipment as non-working.

Just imagine how wrong can opinions be due to lack of knowledge.

Stephen,

nice story you lucky duck!

It sounds like your happy with your purchase, no? Can't beat that price either.. :eek:)

Oh I'm very happy with it. Especially after dialing in the Reactance. Without it the sound was very sterile and well... "solid state" sounding.

Take a look at the Peavey IPR1600. I have one myself and the fact that it's very light (3-4 kilograms) and loud makes it a perfect poweramp for me...

Back
Top Bottom