Best Power Amp for Modelers

TaylorU

Would love to hear everyone's recommendations for their preferred power amp for cabs they use. Thanks!

Hard to go wrong with a Matrix GT1000FX.
You'll find it in Fractal rigs big and small.

That said, I've been intrigued by the new pedal sized amps I've been seeing, which may pair better with an FM3 from a form factor standpoint. I haven't had a chance to try one yet though.

Take it FWIW, my big rig is powered by a Peavey IPR2 2K. But I play bass through a 2x15 FRFR cab. Worked great with my AX8. I'm also looking into the Quilter BB802 which has an XLR in. Some of the smaller Quilter products look great for guitar.

Take it FWIW, my big rig is powered by a Peavey IPR2 2K. But I play bass through a 2x15 FRFR cab. Worked great with my AX8. I'm also looking into the Quilter BB802 which has an XLR in. Some of the smaller Quilter products look great for guitar.

Same here. I switched from a QSC GX7 to a Peavey IPR2 3000.
The Matrix units are good as well.

I’ve used the Matrix GT1000FX as Cooper mentioned. Also, the Quilter 200 and Seymour Duncan 170. I recently picke up a PowerStation 100 as well. All have worked GREAT actually. Although again, as Cooper mentioned, smaller may be better for the FM3. If so, I’d check out the SD170.
Really depends on how you’d like to use the power amp.
Meaning, do you need 2 outputs for stereo? Do you need on-board EQ controls? What form factor is most appealing?

There’s decent choices available and you must first decide what YOU need from your power amp.
Best of luck

I've used a Behringer EPQ2000 to power a 412 1960B guitar cab in stereo. Gigged that some 50 dates.

I've used a Behringer iNuke6000 to power a pair of 700watt peavey 215s and used those to fill a 2500+ room a few times, always same room.

Just saying, a clean power amp with lots of headroom can be had without paying the exuberant prices for a boutique offering. Don't be fooled that you need a power amp "designed for modeling."

I used Axefx III with a super cheap vlp 300 class A/B solid state in stereo, with 2 celestion F12-x200 direct replacemet for my v30 in a 2 x 12 recto cabinet. will do the DIY celestion recomended cabinet for f12. Now need a tiny Parametric EQ adjustment to correct the FRFR because it's too boomy in the room. Sounds good and feels good in my man cave, with that real cabinet thumb.

A well travelled Carvin DCM150 does a fine job into a 2x12: Either wired for Stereo or Bridged Mono. Or powering a 2x10 with Celestion BN10 Neos for Bass. The Quilter PowerBlock 200 (FM3 Out 2 to Quilter Return) works well too.

EDIT: I might add that these presets are set up so Output 2 goes to the actual speaker cabinet, but Output 1 is for FRFR, and includes a cab block with IRs from Celestion that match the actual speakers I have: So, I can also use them with FRFR and there's no appreciable difference between FRFR and/or an actual cabinet; The minor EQ adjustments can be done in the cab block, or with an EQ on Output 2. I expect any power amp with accurate frequency response (and a high slew rate to keep up with the transients) and enough headroom to have low THD will work well.

Last edited:
Matrix GT1000FX without a doubt. I've tried the Seymour Duncan 170 and 200 with the FM3. I prefer the 170 and I'm not sure why just something I noticed when I cranked up the 200 I wasn't feeling it. Maybe something to do with the extra wattage I'm not sure. Or maybe it's me lol They were all played through a Matrix FR12P cab.

I've got a Friedman ASC-12 cab turning up today which has a built in class G amp so that will be interesting to hear the difference.

I had the GT1000FX paired with my Axe FX 2. Absolutely happy with the sound. You can't go wrong with it. It's also stereo, so it can easily be used with two cabs and two modellers!
But I sold it and bought the powerstage 170, as I am planning to buy the FM3 when that's possible. It's a perfect companion for the FM3 completely because of the form factor. I did not compare it side by side with the GT1000FX, but by merely using it, I did not notice a downgrade in sound quality whatsoever.

Last edited:
I really love my Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170.
It has enough power for my classicrock band, it does not clip at high volumes, the EQ is very good and effective and the unit is very portable.
Therefore I decided to purchase it instead of a rack power amp and I never regret it.
If you need more power, you can go for two other versions of the Powerstage that have more features and more power.

I had the GT1000FX paired with my Axe FX 2. Absolutely happy with the sound. You can't go wrong with it. It's also stereo, so it can easily be used with two cabs and two modellers!
But I sold it and bought the powerstage 170, as I am planning to buy the FM3 when that's possible. It's a perfect companion for the FM3 completely because of the form factor. I did not compare it side by side with the GT1000FX, but by merely using it, I did not notice a downgrade in sound quality whatsoever.

After the first rehearsal with my classicrock band and with FM 3 and powerstage 170 the last week I can assure you that this combination is a killer rig!
Together with my Kool Amplification 2 x 12 dumble style cab with celestions creambacks made in the UK I have a JTM 45 sound to die for.... :eek::cool:
The drummer asked me after hearing my guitar sound through his in ears "Do you have your new effect unit?".

And we really matched the sound of my bandmates Marshall JVM stack perfectly :)

I have a Matrix GT1600fx (rack) and a Ritter 280 SHP (board).

The Ritter makes more sense with the FM3 because of its form factor, but the Matrix does sound better “right off the bat”, but with some work, the Ritter will sound great too.

Glad to hear the Duncan PS 170 works well since that’s all I have right now. I used to use a Fryette Power Station 2 with an AX8 and that was good - should’ve kept that.

So when my FM3 comes, just a simple instrument cable from Out 2 on the FM3 to the input on the PS 170, correct? I’m pretty sure that’s what I read in the manual. I don’t have any Humbuster cables or the kind I’d need to run Out 1 to the PS.

I have a Matrix GT1600fx (rack) and a Ritter 280 SHP (board).

The Ritter makes more sense with the FM3 because of its form factor, but the Matrix does sound better “right off the bat”, but with some work, the Ritter will sound great too.
I think that the power amp does not have to sound . It's only job is to have enough power to work well when playing live and the SD PS 170 delivers and the EQ is very useful and dials in the right practicable frequencies. The power amp modeling of the FM 3 is stellar and makes a big difference as it makes the sound live and colorful. Therefore my oppinion is that the real power amp does not have to sound at all 🤷‍♂️🙂

Last edited:
Another option is to make your own "powerstage", just search for an icepower module (that's what's inside the Seymour Duncan) and mount it in a case. There are several versions with different wattages and either mono or stereo, choose the one that suits your needs.
It will also end up being quite cheaper.

I think that the power amp does not have to sound . It's only job is to have enough power to work well when playing live and the SD PS 170 delivers and the EQ is very useful and dials in the right practicable frequencies. The power amp modeling of the FM 3 is stellar and makes a big difference as it makes the sound live and colorful. Therefore my oppinion is that the real power amp does not have sound at all 🤷‍♂️🙂
Maybe.

But I’ll tell you this, a 5150 preset, untouched, sounds better through the Matrix than the Ritter.

Then you can tweak the preset to make the Ritter sound as good (almost, but close enough) as the Matrix.

Back
Top Bottom